JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Moved this over from the Keith's Poll... Just made more sense..

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and it looks as though it may cost me some cash... I am looking at buying a new .45 and I have a few questions to help make a decision....

I am looking at either buying a 1911a1-45fs RIA Tactical with the Duracoat finish ($445.00 on GB with free shipping) or the Taurus 1911 .45 acp pistol with picatinny rails (around $589). I am looking for a quality long term gun, that is fun and accurate...

So my questions are:
1: Which would you choose?
2: If you were going to deal local who would you call for price?
3: If you were going to deal online who would you look to?
4: Is there a better choice out there?
5: If done online i will need a ffl contact (beaverton to salem) if you have any referrals.

Thanks for any and all assistance...

This is the one response that I received from member TKDGUY' before moving the thread..

"If you want quality do not buy Taurus. it is that simple."

I find this response interesting since I have passed thousands of rounds through Taurus guns without an issue.. Has there quality gone down over the years?

Pay a little extra and grab a STI Spartan. It's nicer than both.

I'd contact SAGE Firearms (Yankeefan) in Roseburg for them.

Spartan link: <broken link removed>

Yankeefan link: <broken link removed>

And Love it!!!!

Installed a Wilson Combat Hammer, using Wilson 47D mags, no problems.

I have the 2 Tone Alloy Frame and Blue Steel Slide. Mine has the rail.

It was my second Taurus Handgun purchased, after I bought a Mill Pro PT145.

I now have a Taurus TCP 738 on the way, and am looking forward to carrying that for a long time.

Don't let Taurus bashers cloud your opinion, as most have never handled one, let alone shot one. Every manufacturer has reliability issues at some point.

If you like the Taurus, buy it, or if you like the RIA better buy it.

My 2 cents is that Taurus is a great gun for the money, as well as very accurate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

The Taurus 1911s are definitely the best bang for the buck that I have found with many different options coming standard such as beavertail grip safeties and Novak sights, etc. Having said that I have never owned or shot a Taurus but I did alot of research on them before buying my Springfield. My best advice is to go to a range where you can shoot both and see if you feel that it is worth the extra money for the Taurus.

Why not check out handguns in the classifieds here at NWFA for a few days? You might just find what you are looking for..saw a PT1911 there today for 550.00 with extras.

I bought a brand-new RIA GI model for $360 on Gunbroker... Can the Taurus get anywhere close to that?

I have a friend with a Taurus 24/7 (bought brand new) and it doesn't seem to want to shoot more than 50 rounds in a row without starting to have issues.

This is a good thread as Ive been eying the taurus 1911 and the RIA 1911. Seen some taurus's at the gun show today and they looked like nice quality 1911s. The RIA looked like a bare bones, entry level 1911.

I heard taurus's customer service is great. Ive shot a taurus millunium pro and it was a very nice shooting gun with very little recoil for a 45acp.

I bought a brand-new RIA GI model for $360 on Gunbroker... Can the Taurus get anywhere close to that?

I have a friend with a Taurus 24/7 (bought brand new) and it doesn't seem to want to shoot more than 50 rounds in a row without starting to have issues.

Understood, but I am not looking for bare bone.. I am looking for Biggest bang for the buck in a kick butt gun... This is why I am pitting two compartable guns, the 1911a1-45fs RIA Tactical with the Duracoat finish ($445.00 on GB with free shipping) and the Taurus 1911 .45 acp pistol with picatinny rails (around $589)... These are close in extras and improvements, just need to know which one is the better gun..

I moved this to a new thread, as it just made sense... But I am confused by the negative comment surrounding Taurus... I have owned 9mm's and 40SW with out a single issue in hundreds if not thousands of rounds... Now these are both 11 years old and shoot flawlessly...
I agree the Tuarus is built out of better materials all the way around. It is the better choice. I've owned both FWIW and the poor RIA was sloppy (poorly fitted and machined) and beat itself to death. Mind you the RIA fed and fired anything I put in it, but it's fit, finish, acurracy, and metalurgy was not so good. It had vissible dents where the barrel lugs engaged the frame when i sold it. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the gun and for what I paid for it brad new it was great! ($269's a few years back fwiw) The price has gone up substantially since then but I do not believe the quality has at all

Don't have the time but please search before deciding. Taurus has built there "Bang for buck" on their campaign, with no backing. They have crap customer support- don't believe me SEARCH. They use junk parts, metal and work. It's your decision.

Which one fits your hand(s) the best? How easy can you do malfunction drills, reaching the mag release, slide lock etc with one hand. I shoot a Kimber 1911 that shoots wonderfully but my hand feels like it has a winter glove on when I try to do malfunction drills. For that reason alone in hindsight I would have chosen a gun that my hand reaches all the controls. I did put slim grips on my gun and that helped.
Never shot either of your choices but I have had a yearning to add a Rock Island to my collection, but never held one yet, for me that would be my deciding factor. Hold it, shoot it, practice with it, love it.

Good luck!

I've been shooting Taurus PT1911s for 20 years and have never been disappointed. Thousands upon thousands of rounds. I just keep shooting them, hitting what I aim at, never worring about FTF or FTE, and laughing at the snobbishly ill-informed nay-sayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been shooting Taurus PT1911s for 20 years and have never been disappointed. Thousands upon thousands of rounds. I just keep shooting them, hitting what I aim at, never worring about FTF or FTE, and laughing at the snobbishly ill-informed nay-sayers.

Taurus just released their 1911 ~5ish years ago I thought?

As for nay-sayers, I tend to trust the big names who have worked on and KNOW the 1911. YTaurus has earnd it's rap as junk,just as RIA took time to see results but now are respected as a budget gun.

Announced at the 2005 Shot Show, it was released to the consumer market in the fall of 2005.
Taurus PT1911 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've been shooting Taurus PT1911s for 20 years and have never been disappointed.

are you from the future? could you tell us who wins the 2012 election? do the cubs ever win another pennant?

on topic now. with the taurus you get a forged frame and slide. the ria has a cast frame and extruded slide. with the taurus, you get propietary grip and grip bushings, an internal lock built in, and a quasi series 80 firing pin block. the ria has none of that, it is a true 1911 pattern and features compatability with other 1911's and their aftermarket parts.

winner=ria. the cast frame is not a hinderance unless you plan on competing at the national level, sending thousands of major power factor rounds down range in a year. also ruger has proven properly cast guns can be just as strong as forged. i know i can order any aftermarket 1911 part and i know it will fit.

I have never had a problem with either brand. I have the Taurus 1911 SS like the picture and the RIA 1911-A1 like the other pic, which I dont see on the RIA wbsite but is on the Armscor site.

Honestly, I've had bad luck with Taurus in the past. I have personally seen many issues and also had some of my own Taurus product go wrong. I find their revolver's slightly better than their auto loaders. In my experience, Taurus firearms are meant to be shot very infrequently and they'll be fine. If you plan on shooting the gun a lot, I think you'll be happier with the Rock Island Armory gun. I have shot mine a bunch and have been happier with my RIA guns than my Taurus guns. Plus, the RIA doesn't have a stupid frigging lock on the hammer...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top