JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes it is beautiful but it s not what i want to shoot and as i have two other very nice .223's this ones is going under the knife!
I bought this one fully intending it to be a long term project. Alas its time to start.
This in the picture is the starting rifle
remmy 700 in .223
HS Precision stock
factory everything else
Leupold mounts and rings
nikon 6-18 x 40 scope

The plan if my wallet can keep up
Jewell trigger 40x
Nightforce 20MOA 1 piece base
Leupold Mark 4 30mm rings
leupold mark 4 scope "power undecided as of now"
New bolt with sako extractor"Unsure of make as of now"
Krieger 22 in fluted barrel with krieger installed muzzel brake and action blueprinting in a .243 winchester.
Planning on shooting a 95 gr berger vld

Any input or ideas would be appreciated..
The Jewell trigger just showed up today 1.5oz trigger pull nothing short of amazing

Not sure why you're planning on changing the bolt. As long as the bolt in it gets lapped to the lugs and has the face trued while you're blueprinting the action anyway, it should perform as well as any aftermarket bolt. I do understand changing the handle though. If you are dead-set on changing the bolt, check our pacific tool and guage. They sell aftermarket parts for the 700.

I might also change the bottom-metal out to a steel replacement (I prefer it to aluminum). I also think I'd go without the muzzlebreak, especially on a fairly light caliber.

Everything else looks good, it should be all kinds of fun...

I should rephrase The bolt issue . It is currently a .223 and has the wrong bolt face for a .243. I also wanted to install a sako extractor. And a new handle. All the pieces probably won't be replaced. Although ptg makes a very nice drop in bolt!!!!
Changing the bottom metal to steel is a great idea!!! Thank you!!
I want the muzzle break because one of the main jobs this rifle is going to have is slaying prarie dogs way out there and I want to see impact through the scope so I'm trying to minimize muzzle jump

Make sure that action gets glass bedded.

On the barrel... I would go an 1-8 twist so you can use the heavest bullets. Sierra makes a 107gr Matchking.

If you handload, you may look into the Ackley Improved version of the .243.

Have you shot it as a .223?

The Berger 95 grain vld has a bc of .514
the sierra mk 107 grain has a bc of .527
Its close enough that I decided to go with the smaller faster bullet. Plus the Berger is a hunting bullet where the Sierra mk isn't really. Plus I wanted to suppliment the bergers with 95 gr nosler ballistic tips. Was hoping to have similar impact points at 1-200 yds we will see.
I've also decided on hs precision bottom steel with 5 and 10 rd detachable mags

Yes I have shot it as a .223 it's alot if fun and it's very nice and quite accurate but it didn't like my loads for my CZ .223. This rifle likes the lighter bullets a bit better and I wanted to shoot the heavier ones. Best group was a little over 1 inch with the 60 gr ballistic tip. I know not impressive but like I said it likes lighter bullets. And I didn't want to purchase new bullets to further test a rifle I wasn't intending to keep

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top