JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting..... it's not that I don't believe you because I do. I'm just wondering why major reloading manufactures are selling supersonic equipment and cleaner. my tinfoil hat says its to sell more brass but that would be a dangerous way to do it

I don't know, and I haven't seen any of their cleaners. I don't know if their cleaners have acids in them - even citric acids.

I just don't know. I commented only because there was mention of adding acids.

I know only that acids can dezincify the non-alloyed cartridge brass, weakening it substantially. It's not the ultrasonic in itself that's bad, but I like the polishing which happens with mechanical rubbing with a fine water based, very slightly abrasive polish.

To each his own.

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxi:

Thanks for your inquiry. We don't recommend soaking brass in Simple Green for much more than 10 minutes - not because of embrittlement, but because of tarnishing and the possibility of electrolysis.

The best way to clean those brass cartridge casings with Simple Green would be by use of ultrasonic equipment. The Simple Green should be diluted 1:1 with water. Simple Green works really well on carbon residues, so there should not be a lengthy soak time necessary - 10 minutes max should do it. After cleaning, a water rinse will be necessary. You may get tarnishing. This could be removed by tumbling the casings.

With regard to electrolysis, you also want to limit the time the casings soak in any sort of water-based cleaner so that lead residues do not plate onto the brass, and make sure that there are no other types of metal in the cleaning fluid used to clean the casings (not before or during the cleaning process.) Simple Green can chelate softer metals into solution which can then plate onto stronger metals, such as brass.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. Thanks again for contacting us and for choosing Simple Green.

Sincerely,

Carol Chapin
Environmental & Regulatory Coordinator
SIMPLE GREEN
(800) 228-0709
[COLOR="blue"][email protected][/COLOR]

So, Simple Green can cause tarnishing and chelation and electrolysis causing lead to stick to the brass. Tumbling the cases after using Simple Green is suggested as a possibility. 10 minutes max in Simple Green or any water based soak is recommended.

I just use enough 3M Swirl Mark Remover or Black Magic to first tumble and dampen the walnut shell before adding cases. Then I rinse the cases and do the same with corn cob. I know it's anal, but the media lasts quite a while with a little addition of polish, and the cases are perfect when finished.

If I wasn't anal about bright, clean, and polished, I'd be happy with other processes. I have NO argument with those who want the brass just clean enough to reload.

I would never add acid. I'd be careful with soaps because they are the opposite of acids - highly alkaline. I'd limit the time and rinse thoroughly.

$.02

How do you clean 223 primer pocket.
I to like to "spit & shake " my brass. But I still wanted a way to clean gun parts and primer pockets.

I use this. I have a small dedicated press for punching out primers, and then give the brass a quick clean with this before cleaning the case.

<broken link removed>

Your taking all the fun out of my 21.00 sonic cleaner: -(
Well most of this ammo will probably only see soup once.
I got to see the ingredients of my lymann juice.

I know nothing about various commercial cleaners. I learned my method in the beginning and it works so well, and I'm so anal about shiny brass, I've stuck with it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top