JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No need to prove, it's a long known fact. The detergents in the solution have attached themselves to particles of dirt in order to keep it in suspension. When enough dirt is released into the solution, no more detergent action.

hey Deadshot, you been doing this stuff for a 100 years or just have no other life? Must be a reason you know so much. LOL <<GRIN>>

hey Deadshot, you been doing this stuff for a 100 years or just have no other life? Must be a reason you know so much. LOL <<GRIN>>

I've been retired for some time now and am now essentially enjoying my hobby "full time" which is a great life. I've got the best of all worlds. Plenty of time, some resources I've saved over the years I worked, and best of all, a wife that encourages me to enjoy my hobby.

No, not quite 100 years but I've been shooting since I was 7 and reloading since the early 70's.

I'm also fortunate to have had numerous "learning opportunities" in a career that spanned 40 years.

Well, I've been doing it for 100 years and I still learn new things all the time, including in this thread.

I think the best reloaders are curious and detail oriented. I also don't think reloading is for everyone for that reason.

Lymen just shipped the basket. ....I ordered on the 9th. Talk about slow. I don't think I'll be doing biz with them. I can understand taking 3days to get it out the door....but this is way to long. ......OK I'm done crying LOL.

Lymen just shipped the basket. ....I ordered on the 9th. Talk about slow. I don't think I'll be doing biz with them. I can understand taking 3days to get it out the door....but this is way to long. ......OK I'm done crying LOL.

Mine shipped Monday, and I think I ordered it the same day you did. Not here yet, I think it is coming by slow boat from China....:s0114:

3 days isn't slow. I'm going to have to wait at least two weeks before the NightForce Scope I ordered will ship, maybe longer.

I'm glad it fits. Mine still isn't here, but this morning the finger tab on the plastic tray supplied with the HF unit snapped off. I had to use my wife's slotted spoon to get the brass out of the hot water! I better wash that spoon before she finds out...

OK, I'm in late. Please be aware that brass is a combination of copper and zinc. Cartridge brass is not a true alloy, but rather a mixture. If cleaning it with acids, there is risk of "dezincification" of the brass, leaving thinner and weaker copper. If your brass begins to look more like copper, or if there is a gray scale on the case after cleaning with acid, I'd toss that brass.

Just for me, I will use only water based polishes on my brass. They can be obtained at auto paint supply stores or even in the polish section where other auto finish supplies are sold. Auto body shops need water based polishes for buffing and top coating. They can't risk contamination by wax or silicone anywhere in their shops. It will cause "fish eyes" in future paint jobs. It is sneaky stuff.

I use 3M swirl mark remover, Black Gold and there are others. The water base is easily washed off and can't contaminate the brass or powder.

So, I'm stuck on vibrators/tumblers and stainless rods or walnut and corn cob. Used in two stages, the brass is unharmed and is beautifully cleaned and shined. Then it gets a good wash in soap and rinsed in water.

Do as you please, and carry on. I speak only for myself but please do your homework, and I don't recommend other amateur posts on other forums. Please read a good dissertation by a metallurgist.

Interesting..... it's not that I don't believe you because I do. I'm just wondering why major reloading manufactures are selling supersonic equipment and cleaner. my tinfoil hat says its to sell more brass but that would be a dangerous way to do it

So for a tray... You can take a small bleach bottle (or something similar), hack it up to fit poke holes in the bottom for the solution to drain, and one in the side for a bit of wire coat hanger to hang it off the side. My wife has a couple cut up milk jugs hanging off the side of hers in her instrument repair shop.

I just talked to her, and she was saying you could proly just use a bit of simple green for your detergent. She will spray that on some instruments as well as brass mouthpieces and never has a problem.
As for cleaning the solution, her rule of thumb is to drain it when she cant see the bottom.

If anyone ever needs a musical instrument ran through one, look up Music World in Battleground, wa.

I am still waiting on the day I need to take my 22/45 in and give it a swim.

Interesting..... it's not that I don't believe you because I do. I'm just wondering why major reloading manufactures are selling supersonic equipment and cleaner. my tinfoil hat says its to sell more brass but that would be a dangerous way to do it

Their business and reputation aren't worth a short-term gain. If you follow the instructions you are fine. I personally won't use homebrewed concoctions. But using a major manufacturer solution and rinsing after the cleaning is a reasonable way to go. There are tin hats saying SS pins are harmful to brass too. Hell, tin hats said going 50mph in the new-fangled automobiles would kill you from the speed itself.

YMMV hehe

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads