JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
with my Noveske project completed, I am ready to start another. I Really want a piston gun this time around. Of the pistons systems I have considered, the Barrett Rec7 (5.56 version) has peaked my interest. Does anyone have experience with it?

No answers yet? Huh. OK... but my info is a little old.

Noveske builds a really nice rifle... and the Barrett isn't appreciably "better", so I'm not so sure I'd want to go that route unless you have a specific need for one.

I bought a REC7 in 2009 in 5.56 with the 16" target barrel. They are nice quality, but a little overpriced for what they are, and the trigger was heavier than it needed to be. Never could get it to shoot better than 3/4" consistently with match or handloads... 5 shots @ 100. That was kind of annoying because I can toss a new, quality barrel on an old Bushmaster and usually get it to shoot more consistently.
Anyway... I sold it to some guy who just wanted a fancy name brand SHTF rifle and didn't care that much about accuracy.

If you must have a high end gas piston AR (sorry... after owning 2, I don't see any real value in them for the civilian), look at LWRC, LMT, POF, Adams Arms, HK416 or NEMO 1.0 Match with gas piston option. I mention the Adams Arms because for the money, the guns/uppers are a damn good deal and functionally very reliable.
If DGI is still on the table and you want something really trick, tale a look at <broken link removed> , and again, the NEMO 1.0 Match.

If you want something that looks like a bone stock, no big deal AR15A4 but shoots like a house on fire, take a look at Fulton Armory's Peerless NM A4 Service Rifle with all the options including the Krieger barrel, Young BCG and Geissele NM trigger. A 1/2" gun with optics and Fed 223M.

Sorry to get so wordy. I was on a roll. :s0114:

Thanks for the advice! My understanding is that the Rec7 that was released late 2010 (early 2011) had some 20 modifications from the version released in '07. From what I can tell it seems like an amazingly simple system, and I like how they have removed the need for gas rings, and the anti-tilt bolt. I think it beats the civilian version of the HK416 (MR556A1) by including a chrome lined barrel and on price. I had a POF308 and had to send it back to the factory twice to have them diagnose FTE problems that were rampant. LMT is a nice gun, but I think Barret's bolt system is better with the items I mention before. As for the need for a bolt instead of a DI, well you are probably right, I don't need it. But I had $3500+ into a 13.7" Noveske project just because I wanted it all. Anything I get from now on will have a Giessele SD-C trigger on it. (It is absolute magic.) The reason I want a bolt gun is more just to take another approach to a project. I want a bullet proof AR, one that rivals my AK, and I believe Barrett may be just the gun to do it. From what I can tell I can get my hands on a new one for around $1800 or less.

Sorry if that came off as dismissive, I reread it this morning and felt like it may have. Could have been a little angry Duck's fan coming through. I took a look at the Fulton Armory rifle you suggested, you're right that thing is flush with high end components! Which gas-bolt other than the Barrett did you own? Was it more accurate? Which barrels were you throwing on that bushmaster? I have a DPMS that could use a change in the direction of 1/2 an inch shooting.

Also, you have me taking a serious second look at the LWRC as you are one of many who have suggested it. Thanks again, and sorry if I sounded like a jerk.

Sorry if that came off as dismissive, I reread it this morning and felt like it may have. Could have been a little angry Duck's fan coming through.
No worries. I have cancer and was in quite a bit of discomfort when I responded the second time. I've been trying recently to cut down on my pain meds... and it wasn't working. :( Back to all the meds, all the time. :)
Which gas-bolt other than the Barrett did you own? Was it more accurate?
An LMT, and I've built a few for folks using Adams Arms uppers. The LMT, which was a special order with 18" SS barrel, wasn't any more ultimately accurate, but it was more consistent in it's accuracy... I don't have the log book handy, so going on memory, around .625" was the average for all bullets/ammo tested. The Adams Arms rifles were only test fired by me. The owners... one was a competition upper while the other was a less expensive mid length tactical. The comp rifle was a real hummer frequently shooting 1/4" groups, while the mid length I don't know... the owner was happy, but never was good at keeping records.
Which barrels were you throwing on that bushmaster?
Ha ha ha... that was more a joke than anything else. I have fit higher quality barrels, ER Shaw and Krieger for example, on a variety of guns that were officially declared "not accurate at all", and with a good optic and proper bench technique would shoot well under 7/8". Not every time mind you, but more often than not. The ones you couldn't get to shoot no matter what typically had pretty sloppy extension to upper fit and would have required a bit of machining, sleeving etc etc to true up and hold any reasonable concentricity... or just replace the upper.:s0114:
I have a DPMS that could use a change in the direction of 1/2 an inch shooting.
A barrel with matching bolt and extension can frequently turn a tomato stake into a hummer. I've not used one yet as I'm kind of out of commission for awhile, but Lothar Walther has a nice SS varmint barrel with bolt and extension that I plan to use on a future build. As I recall, they are under $400... so a bit less than a Shilen.
Also, you have me taking a serious second look at the LWRC as you are one of many who have suggested it.
I've never owned an LWRC. I've worked on a few, replaced a barrel on one from a 16" to a 22" SS HB :s0001:... and they appear exceptionally well made.
Thanks again, and sorry if I sounded like a jerk.
Again... not a problem, and I really do appreciate your concern for the feelings of a stranger. Good manors are, particularly on the interweb, a character trait seldom found anymore... and by me at least, highly prized.

I can be a real difficult person sometimes. Much of the "pearls of wisdom" I spout on the interweb are memories. It's been going on 2 years now since I've been able to shoot. With a bit of luck, in another year I can start to reinvest myself in the shooting game.

Again... far too wordy.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
C

I spent way too many hours falling down the rabbit-hole of the "black gun" forums today. (AR15, M4, Etc.) I have a new one I am consider, and it a DI gun. The E.A.G. Tactical Carbine from Bravo Company. It has a host of all-star parts, and I used a significant amount of BCM components on my last build and was always happy with them. I have never handled a complete BCM weapon though. Do you have any experience with them?

Sorry to hear about your current health struggles. I spent some time on Chemotherapy drugs last year when I had a prostate cancer scare. Turned out to be a horrible doctor at the VA and a bad diagnosis. Never the less, it was absolutely miserable putting my body through that, and I cant imagine what it would be like to continue that for as long as you have had to. Sounds like you are on the path to beating that crap, and I am sure you will!

Thnx again!

I spent way too many hours falling down the rabbit-hole of the "black gun" forums today.
:s0162: Ain't it fun... do it enough and you go blind.
I have never handled a complete BCM weapon though. Do you have any experience with them?
No I do not. I've used the very nice quality BCM BCGs, but that's about it. They do have, as you say, a "host of all-star parts"... a somewhat unique range and an excellent reputation. Based on my BCG experience, I can't imagine the guns being any less in quality.
I spent some time on Chemotherapy drugs last year when I had a prostate cancer scare. Turned out to be a horrible doctor at the VA and a bad diagnosis.
Now that would really put me off my Wheaties. :s0131:
Sounds like you are on the path to beating that crap
I was suppose to be completely done 9 months ago but I developed "complications" too complicated to go into here. Abscess', ostomies and neuropathy... :banana:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top