JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys I'm looking to get a good safe for my guns and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I have 6 rifles and 4 handguns. I'd also like to store a few ammo cans in it. I'm looking to stay under $300 but if it's a good deal I could go higher. Thanks guys!

At $300, you're looking at a cabinet more than a safe. For a little more, Costco often has a decent entry level safe for around $600.

My advice would be to save and buy more safe than you need.

At $300, you're looking at a cabinet more than a safe. For a little more, Costco often has a decent entry level safe for around $600.

My advice would be to save and buy more safe than you need.
Very sound advice. I bought one large safe only to find out I needed a second one. I found a very good deal on Craigslist, a guy was selling three TS30 Tracker safes and I'm the proud owner of two!

Also try not to buy a dial pad safe only unless it can also be opened with a back up key. Sounds like a lot of people are getting locked out of there safes now a days .

For $300, you can get a cabinet. Even a small cabinet is 100 times better than nothing. If you can bolt the cabinet down to the floor or fasten it to the wall, that is better still. I would check out Bi-Mart.

For $300, you can get a cabinet. Even a small cabinet is 100 times better than nothing. If you can bolt the cabinet down to the floor or fasten it to the wall, that is better still. I would check out Bi-Mart.

Bimart has a 10 or 12 gun, dial safe for under 300 and goes on sale sometimes.

Not the best but they work. I have one in my room because it was the exact size I needed.

Hey guys I'm looking to get a good safe for my guns and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I have 6 rifles and 4 handguns. I'd also like to store a few ammo cans in it. I'm looking to stay under $300 but if it's a good deal I could go higher. Thanks guys!
I went to Ranch & Home here in Tri-Cities because they had 25 or 30 safes on display. Frankly, I wouldn't give them a plug nickel for any of them. They were 'pretty' but that's about all I can say for them.
I did a whole lot of searching on what makes a good safe & discovered most of them aren't much more than a pretty steel box. Fire ratings, steel quality/thickness, locking bars, etc. It was exhausting.
In the end, it's what your willing to live with & how much you're willing to spend to keep your possessions safe.

In my case, I decided on a modular safe from Zanotti. The $$ stunk but the safe (exterior) came in 6 pieces so no movers are needed. It just pins together on the inside. Good for 9? rifles and several pistols & ammo. The cost was high & I had a 55 day wait but the quality and fit is better than the safes that Ranch & Home had in their larger name brand models. Take any/all fire ratings with a grain of salt. A fireproof safe is WAY MORE money then I have.

Dan

I went to Ranch & Home here in Tri-Cities because they had 25 or 30 safes on display. Frankly, I wouldn't give them a plug nickel for any of them. They were 'pretty' but that's about all I can say for them.
I did a whole lot of searching on what makes a good safe & discovered most of them aren't much more than a pretty steel box. Fire ratings, steel quality/thickness, locking bars, etc. It was exhausting.
In the end, it's what your willing to live with & how much you're willing to spend to keep your possessions safe.

In my case, I decided on a modular safe from Zanotti. The $$ stunk but the safe (exterior) came in 6 pieces so no movers are needed. It just pins together on the inside. Good for 9? rifles and several pistols & ammo. The cost was high & I had a 55 day wait but the quality and fit is better than the safes that Ranch & Home had in their larger name brand models. Take any/all fire ratings with a grain of salt. A fireproof safe is WAY MORE money then I have.

Dan

Yep, anything is able to be defeated with time and effort. How much $$ you spend, usually correlates with longer amounts of time and greater effort to get in.

Securing whatever you end up purchasing to the floor and walls and limiting access is a cost effective way to slow thieves down also.

If the OP, is just trying to keep the kids out, a cabinet will work fine. If he is trying to keep out professional locksmiths, the sky's the limit on price. You just need to figure out where on that spectrum you want to be.

If it was me, and I only had $300, and I needed something right now, I'd buy a Sentry cabinet for around $125 or so (less if you can find a deal), secure it the best i could, and put the other $175 away, and start saving for a legit safe.

Check out Craigslist daily.
They pop up on a regular basis and there are a few good deals to be had, especially when someone's moving out of state.

Soon there will be black Friday sales, even low end Liberty's might be attainable then.
I saw allot of smokin safe prices last holiday and 299.00 might be seen then.
Right now is not the best time as sales are kinda quiet mostly until November but thats just two-three months away might be worth waiting.

For years I had a cabinet instead of a safe. Stack On. It worked and I paid right around $200 for it at the time.

Just found this one on Estatesale-Finder in Oregon City. Widow selling off late husbands bank safe made into gun safe.

thumb_1534214328_35.jpg

Check out Craigslist daily.
They pop up on a regular basis and there are a few good deals to be had, especially when someone's moving out of state.

If you are able to move a safe this is the way to go.

I bought a 4,000 lb (2 ton) safe for my garage and paid $400 for it.

Took 2 of us 9 hours and a trailer rental to move it but it is from 1911 and 8" thick on every side.

5 number mosler - you can't buy this quality anymore.

IMG_2353.JPG

If you are able to move a safe this is the way to go.

I bought a 4,000 lb (2 ton) safe for my garage and paid $400 for it.

Took 2 of us 9 hours and a trailer rental to move it but it is from 1911 and 8" thick on every side.

5 number mosler - you can't buy this quality anymore.

View attachment 489226

That thing kicks azz!

That thing kicks azz!

Lol yea I love it.

The running joke is if someone try's to steal it I'm just going to pull up a chair and watch for an hour or so before I do something about it:D.

If you cut the hinges then all of the 2" pins will still hold the doors on in every direction - it's a monster.

Lol yea I love it.

The running joke is if someone try's to steal it I'm just going to pull up a chair and watch for an hour or so before I do something about it:D.

If you cut the hinges then all of the 2" pins will still hold the doors on in every direction - it's a monster.

Can I come over with tools and try? :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads