Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Decent 9mm for a BOB

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by CarlMc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. CarlMc

CarlMc Safely north of Seattle Active Member

I'm putting together my lists of stuff for the home, vehicles, and work. I'd like to have a 9mm semiauto in most of these bags, but since it's hopefully going to be spending many, many years vacuum bagged in some dark space, I can't justify spending a chunk of change for two or three of these. 9mm Luger ammo is my preferred caliber, and ease of use for my family members who might have to use it. In a panic situation, I don't think they'll care too much about things that matter for extended shooting sessions, so functional is right up there with cost.

Other than the caliber, small size for storing in small places in vehicles is important to me, otherwise I'd have something a little bigger and easier to use.

Suggestions?

2. g.i. joe

g.i. joe Portland Active Member

Glock 19, no question. super reliable, 98% rust proof. not picky on ammo, resonably priced.

3. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

Ruger P series

Rugged
    Reliable to a fault
    CHEAP
    even CHEAPER mags

p89

you can get them all day long for under ~$350 with a few 15rnd capacity mags.

It's not small, but it's a great storable weapon, and cheap enough to buy a gaggle of them.

If size is a BIG factor, expect to pay more unless you want to go with something like a hi-point or a kel-tec. Personally, I would want something a little more reliable.

4. nubus

nubus Guest

+1 P89, unbreakable, shoots anything you stuff in it, and cheap!
    I picked one up with some surface rust for under $200.00.
    It's in a "go box" with 500 rds. and I don't worry about it.

If you can afford extra Glocks go for the 19, but I say buy 2 P89's instead!

5. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

Glock 19.

I'm trying to think about what more to add.... but it just makes sense.

If I had a G19 and a Ruger p89 sitting on a table in front of me, and I was about to bet my life on one of them working... Glock 19. All day long.

See! even he agrees. Never seen a Glock with rust on it!:D

6. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I had a P89, and it was for sure a reliable gun. But it did develop a little rust, and it was heavy as a boat anchor.

Glock would be a better choice for a BOB.

7. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Zastava M88 or EZ. $250 - $300 new.

8. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Glock 19.

9. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

Glock 19. I had a Ruger P95DC for a few years and it was a POS. I couldn't hit crap with it. Got a G23 and it was night and day. Glock is nice because just about anyone can use it, they are super reliable, they need little maintenance, lots of aftermarket crap if you want, mags are every where, and they are cake to work on if you have a little bit of mechanical skills and a few tools. Plus they are one of the lighter guns in their size range. Rugers are cheap, but I don't think I would bet my life on one. In fact I know I wouldn't be my life on one.

10. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

how about the S&W sigma they are so close to the glock design that there were lawsuits

the one I has was 100% reliable the triggers are heavy but mine always worked and seemed to have a deep primer dimple

mine never had any rust and it originally belonged to a friend who never cleaned it

nice thing about them is they were $320 new and sell for considerably less used

if you grease it up and vac pack it you'll have a useable gun whenever you need it IF you can get good dry ammo

11. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

well, I'll be the one to say it :) Hi-Point C9. The first pistol I had, put thouuuuuusands of rounds through it. Not a single dang problem ever. Cheap & reliable. Ugly but functional. Did I mention cheap? Ugly? Meh, but dang did it work fine. Sold it to a buddy & he's put another several hundred rounds through it, still without a hiccup. Add American made & the lifetime guarantee for even 2nd, 3rd etc owner.

Did I mention cheap & reliable? You can probably get 2 NIB for $300.

Let the flaming begin :laugh:

12. 44magyota

44magyota oregon Member

CZ-75 or XDM-9mm. Both high cap and both around 500...not the cheapest but reliable, accurate and built like tanks.

13. The Cheese

for a few bucks more you can get a used glock, and it would be lighter. Just sayin.

14. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Beretta 92. In a bug out situation, you'll want to be able to use the same ammo, mags, and spare parts as the gubmint.

15. NuthinFancy

NuthinFancy Seattle Area Active Member

I like my Hi Point, but I leave it at home most times I go to the range, because it is a real bubblegum to disassemble for a proper cleaning (I will not just leave it uncleaned like many will say, or just wipe down the inside of the barrel. Cheap or not, it is a tool and deserves the respect of any of my tools :thumbup:).

16. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Kel-Tec P-11
    Super reliable, $175

17. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

Who said he was gonna ask? ;)

18. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

Priced out used Glocks today at the gun show couldn't find any decent ones for less than $400 and you can get'em new for less than $500

19. The Cheese

While the 92 is a great gun, its a bit on the heavy side and its freaking large. If I was going to pack away a gun that big it better put bigger holes in things than 9mm. I know they make the 96 in 40, but thats outside the scope of what the OP wanted.

20. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

I would be a Glock 17, little longer sight radius, 19 if you must, but it's all about ease of use, parts availability, ammo availability, mags, etc. Plus it's light and reliable.