JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have recently come into a situation that I have no idea how to deal with. My wife's uncle has passed away and left firearms to us. I'm not sure how to go about checking the registration on them. One is old enough not to have a serial. My end game is selling them. I'm sure a few of you have been in similar situations. What is the first step?

Since you didn't say which state you live in, you may want to start with these:
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/chapter/166
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41
<broken link removed>

In Oregon and Washington you will have to have a background check performed on the buyer if it is a private (person to person) sale. Or you can sell to an FFL (federally licensed dealer).

I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on tv, or anywhere else, so take this for what it's worth...

I have recently come into a situation that I have no idea how to deal with. My wife's uncle has passed away and left firearms to us. I'm not sure how to go about checking the registration on them. One is old enough not to have a serial. My end game is selling them. I'm sure a few of you have been in similar situations. What is the first step?
if you live in Oregon you dont need to check the registration, they are yours. All you need to do is sell them, either privately or to a ffl dealer. If you sell them privately, the buyer has to do a background check for each gun (at which point the gun will be registered to them automatically).

you may want to keep the unserialized gun as a collector piece......

Haha sorry guys forgot to mention and forgot it doesn't say by my name. Both my self and the uncle live/lived in Oregon.

Thanks for the input guys I just wasn't to sure about having one with no serial and if I need proof of ownership to sell to anyone.

if you live in Oregon you dont need to check the registration, they are yours. All you need to do is sell them, either privately or to a ffl dealer. If you sell them privately, the buyer has to do a background check for each gun (at which point the gun will be registered to them automatically).

you may want to keep the unserialized gun as a collector piece......
Is an unserialized firearm not worth as much? Or just harder to sell?

Is an unserialized firearm not worth as much? Or just harder to sell?
if its unserialized its either home made or an antique. If its an antique its probably worth a lot...

if its home made and well done and of modern design (1911, AR15, AK 47 etc.) it would be worth current market value (used)

if its unserialized its either home made or an antique. If its an antique its probably worth a lot...

if its home made and well done and of modern design (1911, AR15, AK 47 etc.) it would be worth current market value (used)
It's a 1940's-1960's mossberg .22 I've seen one on gunbroker for $250. Not worth a whole lot

Serial numbers were not required until the Gun Control Act of 1968. Prior to that many manufacturers, usually of less-expensive firearms, didn't bother with s/n's. Had the gun been homemade (obviously not the case with a Mossberg) it needn't be serialized, however it is also not legal to sell it without first jumping through hoops with BATFE. Perhaps someone here can elaborate on what that entails.
Serial number or no, it doesn't really affect the value of a factory-made gun.
When transferred through an FFL, they merely write "No serial number" or something similar on the 4473.

Serial numbers were not required until the Gun Control Act of 1968. Prior to that many manufacturers, usually of less-expensive firearms, didn't bother with s/n's. Had the gun been homemade (obviously not the case with a Mossberg) it needn't be serialized, however it is also not legal to sell it without first jumping through hoops with BATFE. Perhaps someone here can elaborate on what that entails.
Serial number or no, it doesn't really affect the value of a factory-made gun.
When transferred through an FFL, they merely write "No serial number" or something similar on the 4473.
So would I still need to jump through hoops selling to a ffl dealer directly?

I thought they were legal to sell, best to check with a lawyer for that one.

250 isnt a bad price for an old 22, but make certain its not a rare model or version.... it may look similar to others but still be a rare model.

good luck...

What guns....

Carry on as if nothing happened. Aren't uncles excluded from checks? Then have your dad/mom who is their brother/sister give them to you. Douchebaggery 101.

th
I thought they were legal to sell, best to check with a lawyer for that one.

250 isnt a bad price for an old 22, but make certain its not a rare model or version.... it may look similar to others but still be a rare model.

good luck...

Thank you. I've been trying to look it up but if found it to be fairly hard without a serial number. are there any definitive resources on old .22s?

Sorry, my post wasn't well-organized. The BATFE hoops only apply to homemade firearms, not un-serialized factory-made guns.
If you look on the barrel there should be a Model number, i.e. 352, 144SLB, 26B, 46-M, etc. Once you find that the Blue Book of Firearms Values, the Standard Catalog of Firearms or Gunbroker.com should be able to help you establish a value. If you want to PM me some pictures I'll see if I can help. I have several Mossbergs and like them very much. They are usually an excellent gun for the money.

Thank you. I've been trying to look it up but if found it to be fairly hard without a serial number. are there any definitive resources on old .22s?

Rimfire Central is the place to go: www.rimfirecentral.com
Their Mossberg forum is here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

I have not been to the Mossberg forum on that site, but I have been to the CZ forum and they are really, really nice people.

By all means have someone knowledgeable (and trustworthy) take a look at the guns. Subtle differences in appearance can mean huge differences in value. Taking them to a gun store will be hit or miss and a pawn shop is ill-advised.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top