JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
$40-50 for many P22x mags is about what many go for MSRP, so yeah, not inexpensive, but not scalping either. You can find many discounted, not sure about a 9mm 220 though, I've never seen one - most of the later 220s come in .45 or 10mm. the SIGTalk forum has a LOT of good people on it that can give you good info on the "classic" metal framed SIGs.

The mags for the euro heel release are different from the US made gun mags, so be aware of that difference when looking for mags. The 220 was originally made in 9mm to replace the 210, but most US 220s will be found to be .45 ACP - those will share many parts with other SIGs - the slide & barrel being the same as the 227.
I'm finding a few mags available at about $48ea plus $20 shipping. I'll wait until I know exactly what comes with it before I get serious about looking.

I'll look into the SIGTalk forum, thanks.

From what I'm reading, the 9mm is decidedly different from later offerings. I've not seen a heel release like that before so it's unlikely I'll overlook the difference.

While interesting in a number of ways, this P220 is a keepsake that will remain in my collection.

A long-time friend and gun collector passed recently. His wife has offered me his Sig P220 in 9mm as a keepsake. I have no idea what may or may not come with it or how many rounds have been through it. I have a few questions about the gun itself as I'm not familiar with it, and some questions about the transfer process.

1. He's had it for some time, will she need to show proof she owns it or has the right to sell it? I ask because I've never been involved in a private party gun sale.
2. I expect that the FFL will charge $10 for the background check, and what...$25 for the paperwork?
3. While this will largely remain in my gun case as a keepsake, I may take it to the range if I like shooting it. A subjective question I know, but how good are these guns?
4. She has already said she won't take my money and assuming I'll get the gun and 1 mag what is a reasonable amount I might otherwise expect to pay for it? She won't take it, but I'd like to make a gesture at least.

Thanks.
Assuming your friend has a will, I wouldn't touch this until the estate officially closes, and the gun is clearly hers to transfer.

I'm not endorsing skirting the law, so take what you want from this statement: if she/her husband owned this item prior to 2015, there would be no way to prove they didn't legally sell it to you prior to the law saying they must do so through an FFL. You SHOULD, of course, do things by the book and fill out a 4473
if a good friend of mine passed away and his wife wanted to gift me a gun, i wouldnt take the time to meet at an ffl nor think twice about it. just sayin.

if a good friend of mine passed away and his wife wanted to gift me a gun, i wouldnt take the time to meet at an ffl nor think twice about it. just sayin.
Why anyone turn a widow's gift into a criminal act that exposes the widow to criminal liability? Seems like a shoddy way to honor the gift, the giver and the memory of the deceased.

i didnt say it was for anyone. i said a friend of mine. knowing my friends, that would be the best way to honor that sort of gift. that was just my opinion. not giving advice to the OP

also, im no snitch.

The P220 in 9mm is a good gun. I have one, but with the American push button, not the European heel release. It takes the same mags, but I had to get a smith to convert them. But overall, its a good full size gun. And yeah, single stack. In todays world, there are better options, but it was my first Sig, got it at a smoking prices, won't let it go. Enjoy it.

Most of the people on SigTalk and reddit.com/r/sigsauer hold the early W. German Sigs in very high regard. Congratulations on a fine pistol, and sorry for your loss.

A long-time friend and gun collector passed recently. His wife has offered me his Sig P220 in 9mm as a keepsake. I have no idea what may or may not come with it or how many rounds have been through it. I have a few questions about the gun itself as I'm not familiar with it, and some questions about the transfer process.

1. He's had it for some time, will she need to show proof she owns it or has the right to sell it? I ask because I've never been involved in a private party gun sale.
2. I expect that the FFL will charge $10 for the background check, and what...$25 for the paperwork?
3. While this will largely remain in my gun case as a keepsake, I may take it to the range if I like shooting it. A subjective question I know, but how good are these guns?
4. She has already said she won't take my money and assuming I'll get the gun and 1 mag what is a reasonable amount I might otherwise expect to pay for it? She won't take it, but I'd like to make a gesture at least.

Thanks.
They are great guns, I have owned one for several years now. Sadly I have to give it up, its a shame.

Follow-Up:

So, the estate has been settled and family members are taken care of. Tomorrow we'll go and do the transaction. While she still refuses to want money, I'll offer her as much as I'm in a position to. I can't get to $1k, but I can make a solid gesture, which she will probably refuse. They've been good friends for many years and I will cherish the keepsake.