JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A long-time friend and gun collector passed recently. His wife has offered me his Sig P220 in 9mm as a keepsake. I have no idea what may or may not come with it or how many rounds have been through it. I have a few questions about the gun itself as I'm not familiar with it, and some questions about the transfer process.

1. He's had it for some time, will she need to show proof she owns it or has the right to sell it? I ask because I've never been involved in a private party gun sale.
2. I expect that the FFL will charge $10 for the background check, and what...$25 for the paperwork?
3. While this will largely remain in my gun case as a keepsake, I may take it to the range if I like shooting it. A subjective question I know, but how good are these guns?
4. She has already said she won't take my money and assuming I'll get the gun and 1 mag what is a reasonable amount I might otherwise expect to pay for it? She won't take it, but I'd like to make a gesture at least.

Thanks.

1. She does not need to have proof of ownership.
  2. The background (NICS) check costs $10, and the FFL charges whatever their own administrative fee is on top of that. This FFL finder tool is pretty good for seeing who is near you, then you (or she) will want to reach out to them to confirm the price and availability are still correct
  3. Metal framed Sigs have a very good reputation.
  4. Price is more suggestive. P220s are usually not in 9mm but it's not impossible either. Most of the metal framed Sigs command between $450 and $700 even used.

1. No because the 25 bucks helps cover the transfer fee where they check the guns #'s looking for reported theft.
2. see above
3. quality is good, sigs have a following for sure.
4. I personally would think somewhere around 500 dollars for an ave shape older gun.

hope it helps, others may have a more accurate value of the pistol than my spitball price. I dont own a Sig but the fans a lifers!

They are a discontinued item, which may bring more in value.
Definitely. Just wanted OP to know that it could be 100% what it is, and it could also be a p226, 228, 229, a conversion, etc. and the misnomer would be a very easy mistake for most people to make if they aren't "gun people." No matter what though it would still be a good gun at the end of the day.

Definitely. Just wanted OP to know that it could be 100% what it is, and it could also be a p226, 228, 229, a conversion, etc. and the misnomer would be a very easy mistake for most people to make if they aren't "gun people." No matter what though it would still be a good gun at the end of the day.
It will be easy to tell, those all have a double stack mag and a Browning style mag release, a P220 9mm is a single stack often with a Euro style heel mag release.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I had a very brief chance to see the gun this afternoon. I can confirm that it is in fact a P220 in 9mm, single stack with a heel mag release. Beyond that, I don't know anything. For all I know, it may just be the gun and the mag that's in it. Ideally, it would come with at least a second mag and whatever box/case it came with, but I don't know.

Oregon

Probably dates back to the early 70's, possibly earlier. Had a chance to buy one in 30 luger that had been imported through Canada iirc. Sadly i was dumb and passed on it.

Great firearm and they really shoot straight. Love to own the 9mm version if I could find magazines for it.

Sig has the bad habit of no magazines when a gun is discontinued. My 239 was a bear to find magazines for.

I'm not endorsing skirting the law, so take what you want from this statement: if she/her husband owned this item prior to 2015, there would be no way to prove they didn't legally sell it to you prior to the law saying they must do so through an FFL. You SHOULD, of course, do things by the book and fill out a 4473

Last Edited:
To answer #4...

Being German made and in a harder to find caliber for the model, it has some extra desirability. Depending on condition, it could fetch as much as $1000+.

I'd presume that if it was your (gun collector)friend's, that it would likely be one of his favored pistols and/or in pretty nice shape.

What to offer, of course, would be up to you based on that info.

The FFL in the Tee Shirt shop in the Silver Creek Shopping Center is a real nice stand up guy I talked with him a bunch when the State police screwed up mmy background check on my 1885 Winchester. I would suggest you try him for any transfer.

$40-50 for many P22x mags is about what many go for MSRP, so yeah, not inexpensive, but not scalping either. You can find many discounted, not sure about a 9mm 220 though, I've never seen one - most of the later 220s come in .45 or 10mm. the SIGTalk forum has a LOT of good people on it that can give you good info on the "classic" metal framed SIGs.

The mags for the euro heel release are different from the US made gun mags, so be aware of that difference when looking for mags. The 220 was originally made in 9mm to replace the 210, but most US 220s will be found to be .45 ACP - those will share many parts with other SIGs - the slide & barrel being the same as the 227.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top