JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know if the decapping pins in the LEE universal decapping die are hardened? I broke my unbreakable LEE universal decapping pin. Yes...I know LEE will replace it if I mail it in, and I can order a new pin for $0.00 and only pay the $8 shipping.

If it wasn't hardened I was thinking about drilling out the remnant, and setting another pin in it's place, and cross-drilling and tapping a set screw to hold it in place. Before I discover the answer the hard way, I just thought I'd ask before ruining a drill bit.

You could email Lee Precision and ask them the question. I'd be interested in the reply they give. A resizing die would support the case and thus align the decapping pin with the flash hole quite well. I have this die too and it can't support any cartridge very well. Consequently alignment between the decapper and flash hole are sort of hit and miss. I wonder if anyone has experienced the same with other mfg. version of a universal decapper.

Does anyone know if the decapping pins in the LEE universal decapping die are hardened? I broke my unbreakable LEE universal decapping pin. Yes...I know LEE will replace it if I mail it in, and I can order a new pin for $0.00 and only pay the $8 shipping.

If it wasn't hardened I was thinking about drilling out the remnant, and setting another pin in it's place, and cross-drilling and tapping a set screw to hold it in place. Before I discover the answer the hard way, I just thought I'd ask before ruining a drill bit.
Decapping pins are crap. I've had quite a few of them break or bend. For the .50 BMG I have to use a punch to remove the spent caps before I go to the resizing die for the first reload. After that they will come out somewhat normally.

Thank for the opinions and link to the tapered pin.

They are consumable, but they are replaceable on the RCBS, just not on the Lee without replacing the whole rod. I was due for a bend/brake, but I don't overbuy things on the chance that I "might" break them. This hobby is expensive enough. Besides....LEE said it was UNBREAKABLE!

Www.mightyarmory.com
I got one of the universal decap dies and never looked back. I use it for military brass 223 and everything else. Not a single broken pin in over 5 years. It helps with the anger and frustration of lee products. If you break a pin in the first year the owner will replace it for free.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top