JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bill, that's not me in the picture.

I found those pictures on this website: Received my shoulder holster today... - TexasCHLforum.com

If you get a setup like that, let me know how you like it. I might want to give it a try, too.

I went back to that link and copied the photo to my photo editing program and was able to zoom in some and it looks to me he cut the sleeves from a Wrangler Denim shirt, now if I can find one at the thrift store it makes a cool vest! I'm always looking for cover garments. Winter is pretty easy I have a couple of those Columbia vests and they are plenty long to cover my IWB holster and recently made magazine pouch. I'm ready for whatever, (I hope), with 28 rounds for emergencies. 17+1 and 10 more. I stay away from tactical (what an over used word) garments or anything with a firearms label or logo sewn on or whatever. They scream gun nut, possibly armed, for the whole world to see. Most of the John Does on the street won't pay any attention, but people who know about firearms and people who carry watch for that sort of thing, and those people don't always bother to get a CHL because they know that they can't get one. But are always watching for those of us who do.
So I just want to blend in as best I can. :cool:o_O LOL
I think a denim vest made from an old shirt would be just the ticket worn over a T shirt in the summer. Whatcha think?
Gabby

I suppose I should be looking at every one else but never do.
If on a rare occasion my thing slips out, I just slide something over it, never looking to see anybody's reaction.
Why would I?
Almost every day people comment about this and I just don't get it.

Open carry, making your self a target by bringing attention to ones self. Those junkies and cons will take you out in a New York
Second if they want your side arm and you will never know what happened, most likely.
Silver Hand

My "thing" never just slips out I keep my fly zipped so that doesn't happen! :eek::rolleyes:
Snicker.
Gabby
PS go back and read what you said, your own words just answered your question. Be more careful in how you carry your firearm and you will have less to worry about of it accidentally being exposed.
Just because someone didn't make a fuss abut your "thing" being exposed doesn't mean they didn't notice or be disturbed by it.
Most folks won't say anything to an open carry person either.
However if I have the opportunity I try to educate those who seem intelligent and consciences enough to listen to reason. There are those who have this big Macho thing and it's a waste of time to talk to them, it just gives them the opportunity to bloviate about it's their right. (to be stupid!)

I went back to that link and copied the photo to my photo editing program and was able to zoom in some and it looks to me he cut the sleeves from a Wrangler Denim shirt, now if I can find one at the thrift store it makes a cool vest! I'm always looking for cover garments. Winter is pretty easy I have a couple of those Columbia vests and they are plenty long to cover my IWB holster and recently made magazine pouch. I'm ready for whatever, (I hope), with 28 rounds for emergencies. 17+1 and 10 more. I stay away from tactical (what an over used word) garments or anything with a firearms label or logo sewn on or whatever. They scream gun nut, possibly armed, for the whole world to see. Most of the John Does on the street won't pay any attention, but people who know about firearms and people who carry watch for that sort of thing, and those people don't always bother to get a CHL because they know that they can't get one. But are always watching for those of us who do.
So I just want to blend in as best I can. :cool:o_O LOL
I think a denim vest made from an old shirt would be just the ticket worn over a T shirt in the summer. Whatcha think?
Gabby
Sounds like it'll work fine. I just found out today that one of my suit jackets is plenty long to allow me to use a Crossbreed OWB holster. Makes life much easier, finding the right holster & clothing combination.

Lmao, yes actually my head is.
I choose to position myself with a corner or solid surface behind me constantly. Even as a single guy, the women I take out at first arent used to it, but they understand and appreciate it. When you practice situational awareness and position yourself appropriately over time it comes naturally.

Im 6'6 and an active 350lbs, I look around often. Ive had enough would-be fighters come up to me looking to fight the big guy.. After a while you know what to look for. You dont obviously dont know me. The guys who allow themselves to be robbed or attacked walk around without a care in the world thinking their firearm is enough to thwart off a threat.. I actually practice what I preach.

By all means, walk up to me on the street and try to rob me, I dare you. If my draw doesnt get you, my fists will. You may not have experiences with fights but I sure do. Be less trigged sweetheart, its just a forum.

Ok so you really are in zone 3 all the time, and a big bad a&&, but you have to agree it would be foolish on your part to try to draw against a drawn gun.
Probably much safer to just take it away from him if you've practiced that maneuver, but you've got to be quick. I know from experience, but you need to be in arms reach. We trained for that when I was a LEO.
The every day guy who "thinks" he's bad because he's open carrying, is just plain stupid, which is my point. If you are Special Forces or the like that is a whole different matter, but chances if you are you don't want to draw any more attention to yourself either for the same reason you are on the lookout for stupid s**ts who want to try you on.
However I was responding to your statement earlier and most of the "Dudes" who talk like that are just blowing smoke, which is why I responded the way I did. That being said, Let's burry the hatchet, I don't have an axe to grind.
BTW I sit where I can watch the entrances with my back in a corner too.
I think I've made myself completely clear for the whole world to see. LOL
Friends?
Gabby
God I hope so 6' 6" & 350# I don't think I can whip you anymore.
I've shrunk to 5' 8.5" and put on 20# of pure lard. Hah ha. Not to mention 74 years young. :eek:

Sounds like it'll work fine. I just found out today that one of my suit jackets is plenty long to allow me to use a Crossbreed OWB holster. Makes life much easier, finding the right holster & clothing combination.

Try on some blazers or sport jackets they may be long enough for you and they fit in if you aren't going formal.

It is what it is, Cons are cons and take what they want any time they think they can get away with it.

How much GOLD do you have around your neck or teeth?
Chance = Gain, and your life don't matter.
Silver Hand

Just sayin - Did you ever see someone anyone, in law enforcement carry open- Off Duty?

We didn't wear our uniforms then (off duty) either. Back then I carried a small hideout off duty, my last one was a Ch.A. Undercover 38Spl, and over 40 years later I still have it!

I didn't read all the posts. Didn't see where the OP lived.

I lived in Cody for a while, OC'd a lot there. Nobody cared, even tourists (of which there were a lot), I guess because they expected to see guns in Wyoming. Generally it depends where you live as much as anything. Eastern Oregon in small towns, why not? Some times it is hard to act free; but when it is not hard, then act free. If you don't, when you could, then some day you won't have the option at all.

Eastern Oregon small towns? Yar, if you live there & know the towns/townsfolk. Just rolling thru eastern Oregon & stopping to see the sights or just to stretch yer legs? Probably not the greatest idea...isn't the highest crime out there in one of the small towns?

Mr released fellon would spot you quick smart at the gas-n-sip & may just give grabbing your weapon a try. He can't legally buy one, and yours will be cheaper than a street one...a bonk to the back of your mellon won't cost him anything...

I just ran into a nice guy at the local pharmacy today, noticed he was carrying OC and asked him what he was carrying. Didn't really care just to open a conversation, Told him how easy it is to relieve him of his pistol, and he said he was licensed too, then the dumb bubblegum tells me he'd been a deputy for 20 years.
You just can't fix stupid. No one is 100% alert 100% of the time and going around exposed paints a target on your back.
If they want what you have I don't care how big and bad that you are they can take it away from you. You are a target and targets get hit!
Gabby

I highly recommend watching the Active Self Protection videos on YouTube. They will help you analyze and consider how you would react in various situations, and they often highlight how important it is to maintain an element of surprise in public situations. There are a number of very sad outcomes in these videos but they all provide valuable lessons that will help you be prepared and, as John often says at the end of the video, "cover your...".

Perhaps the only time I open carry is when camping remotely, hunting, and when target shooting at a pit, where I may commonly step away from my rifle to check the target.

It would be nice if open carry were common for the purpose of helping to create a public perception where "law abiding citizens carry, this is normal". But most of society seems to no longer be stable enough for this approach to be followed.
+1 for the A.S.P. channel.

Like everything in life a little common sense goes a long way.
Depending on when or where you are or how you present yourself , open carry may not be a issue... Or it could just as easily turn into one.
Be smart about it.

Open carry where it will not be a issue and conceal carry at other times or places.
If you are in a area where you know its not going to cause a fuss , then great... If you are in a spot where it will or you think it might cause a fuss , then cover up.

I am a pretty simple guy.
I wish gun ownership , the carrying of firearms and gun rights were viewed simply.
Simply as in : Because I can.

Why do you go to that church?
Why did you vote for that person?
What made you say that?
Why do you own a gun?

For me all of the above can be answered with a simple " Because I can."
If I am causing no harm to myself or others with my actions , then I should not have to justify my answers or actions.

But since the world is not a simple place , in order to get by I need to use some common sense and understanding of others , in what I say or do.
Andy

Last Edited:
I think there are some simple facts to consider here:

Fact #1 - It is a right in most states to be able to open carry - a right needs no excuse to be exercised
Fact #2 - People who are open carrying have been disarmed and their gun stolen, even killed with their own weapon, this includes civilians and police

I personally carry with a OWB Glock 17/20, or a IWB Sig 938 depending on my outfit and weather. I'm 6' 230 athletic build and I find that an XL T-shirt from Joanns ($3 dollar shirt) "conceals" enough even when I am carrying OWB in a Bladetech or a Raven Concealment for 99% of the public to not know that I am carrying a gun. If a "gun person" sees a bulge in my shirt I don't really care because its no different than if I was OC'ing anyway. Your stature may give you different results. I also prefer not to wear "I am carrying a gun clothing," This includes hats/shirts with gun related names, camo of any kind, and tactical looking jackets or pants, I don't fault those who do, but if you are "concealing" wearing those you really aren't tricking anyone.

I have gone to ASI matches and Black Rifle Shoot Matches at RFGC, you pretty much see the same outfits. 5.11 pants, gun related logos on clothing, camo, ect. Every once in a while you see someone who doesn't look like any of the other shooters. When I see that type of person I smile because it reminds me that people who don't fit "the mold" are also carrying.

My personal modus operandi is I don't want to look like someone who is carrying a gun and there is good reason for that. If I am OC'ing for some reason I want to look like everyone else so the anti-gun people and people on the fence see a respectable looking "normal" person carrying and not immediately throw me in the "camo wearing crazy guy" bucket. I've found that the best way to bring about awareness to carrying a gun is by "normalizing" it. I may be a Far Right MOLON LABE gun person, but I don't look like it and by being able to generate an appearance of "normal" while having a strong affiliation to my 2nd Amendment it really can change the beliefs of others who may have not seen examples of people who carry guns apart from the "I'm OC'ing a rifle" nuts on the news and the reports of criminals shooting people.

If you want to improve the gun climate, invite your liberal friends shooting and start them with a .22 and work your way up to a rifle in .223 remington, preferably an AR scoped (because scopes are more fun). Then show them the difference between a .223 Remington Cartridge and a .308 or 30-06 or .270 win or .300 win mag. They will start to understand that the AR and .223 isn't very scary. You will never win over the far left, confiscation is their end goal despite logic and reason, but you will win over with time the people in the middle and even the moderate left.

We could talk about the benefit of "surprise" by concealing, or the argument of "deterrent" from open carry.

I say who the hell cares, thankfully we all can make our own choices (for now) regarding open vs concealed, but whatever you do, look respectable and act respectable while carrying. You are an ambassador to the 2nd amendment.

A belt and suspenders?!??!. My dad (old growth logger before WWII) said that was a sign of a man who wasn't very sure of himself.:eek:

Brutus Out
Some of us need all the help we can get!

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

Like everything in life a little common sense goes a long way.
Depending on when or where you are or how you present yourself , open carry may not be a issue... Or it could just as easily turn into one.
Be smart about it.

Open carry where it will not be a issue and conceal carry at other times or places.
If you are in a area where you know its not going to cause a fuss , then great... If you are in a spot where it will or you think it might cause a fuss , then cover up.

I am a pretty simple guy.
I wish gun ownership , the carrying of firearms and gun rights were viewed simply.
Simply as in : Because I can.

Why do you go to that church?
Why did you vote for that person?
What made you say that?
Why do you own a gun?

For me all of the above can be answered with a simple " Because I can."
If I am causing no harm to myself or others with my actions , then I should not have to justify my answers or actions.

But since the world is not a simple place , in order to get by I need to use some common sense and understanding of others , in what I say or do.
Andy

Andy my friend I have to correct you, the term is Uncommon Sense. If it were common sense we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Otherwise I agree with you fully.
Gabby

I think there are some simple facts to consider here:

Fact #1 - It is a right in most states to be able to open carry - a right needs no excuse to be exercised
Fact #2 - People who are open carrying have been disarmed and their gun stolen, even killed with their own weapon, this includes civilians and police

I personally carry with a OWB Glock 17/20, or a IWB Sig 938 depending on my outfit and weather. I'm 6' 230 athletic build and I find that an XL T-shirt from Joanns ($3 dollar shirt) "conceals" enough even when I am carrying OWB in a Bladetech or a Raven Concealment for 99% of the public to not know that I am carrying a gun. If a "gun person" sees a bulge in my shirt I don't really care because its no different than if I was OC'ing anyway. Your stature may give you different results. I also prefer not to wear "I am carrying a gun clothing," This includes hats/shirts with gun related names, camo of any kind, and tactical looking jackets or pants, I don't fault those who do, but if you are "concealing" wearing those you really aren't tricking anyone.

I have gone to ASI matches and Black Rifle Shoot Matches at RFGC, you pretty much see the same outfits. 5.11 pants, gun related logos on clothing, camo, ect. Every once in a while you see someone who doesn't look like any of the other shooters. When I see that type of person I smile because it reminds me that people who don't fit "the mold" are also carrying.

My personal modus operandi is I don't want to look like someone who is carrying a gun and there is good reason for that. If I am OC'ing for some reason I want to look like everyone else so the anti-gun people and people on the fence see a respectable looking "normal" person carrying and not immediately throw me in the "camo wearing crazy guy" bucket. I've found that the best way to bring about awareness to carrying a gun is by "normalizing" it. I may be a Far Right MOLON LABE gun person, but I don't look like it and by being able to generate an appearance of "normal" while having a strong affiliation to my 2nd Amendment it really can change the beliefs of others who may have not seen examples of people who carry guns apart from the "I'm OC'ing a rifle" nuts on the news and the reports of criminals shooting people.

If you want to improve the gun climate, invite your liberal friends shooting and start them with a .22 and work your way up to a rifle in .223 remington, preferably an AR scoped (because scopes are more fun). Then show them the difference between a .223 Remington Cartridge and a .308 or 30-06 or .270 win or .300 win mag. They will start to understand that the AR and .223 isn't very scary. You will never win over the far left, confiscation is their end goal despite logic and reason, but you will win over with time the people in the middle and even the moderate left.

We could talk about the benefit of "surprise" by concealing, or the argument of "deterrent" from open carry.

I say who the hell cares, thankfully we all can make our own choices (for now) regarding open vs concealed, but whatever you do, look respectable and act respectable while carrying. You are an ambassador to the 2nd amendment.

Very well said!
Gabby

Some of us need all the help we can get!

View attachment 353606

View attachment 353607

I match the first shot, old and pot bellied and with pistol, Gerber belt tool, extra magazine and my pockets full of stuff my skinny old but and belt just won't keep it all above my knees, which if you think about it is a worse picture than that plumbers but for sure!
"Suspenders - What keeps it all up! " :eek: LOL
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top