JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The attorney that taught my enhanced CC class recommended that we open carry at least sometimes to let people know that guns aren't bad and neither are most of the people who carry them. I do disagree though. While I think it would be great if people weren't so freaked out when they see a gun, I personally don't want to be the one they freaked out about. Fact is in almost any jurisdiction, if someone calls the police because you have a gun visible, the police are required to respond. And some of them won't appreciate you exercising your 2A rights so publicly.

And some of them won't appreciate you exercising your 2A rights so publicly.

Actually most of the LEO's I talk to don't really care. In fact they said it would help because the bad guy would think twice if they new how many people are carrying. What they do hate is all the call's they get because of the idiots that don't like it.

Multiple times over the last year or two I've seen the same guy out for his run in Issaquah on some unpopular trails open carrying in a nylon holster. It looks like a nice gun in a crappy holster but it obviously retrains it while he's running and must be comfortable for him.

I personally bag carry when I'm hiking or walking around town. I'm hoping once I lose some more of my tactical beer belly I'll be able to carry comfortably more forward on my hip in the 2:30 to 3 o'clock position instead of 4 o'clock so the butt of my gun won't constantly hit my backpack or the straps.

I was trying out a new OWB holster recently, and wore it into town under a jacket. Turned out the jacket was just short enough that when I bent forward at a counter, the bottom of the holster was uncovered. When I turned around, the man behind me had a very concerned look on his face. He didn't say anything, but he sure was troubled.
I always have an issue with finding jackets that fit let alone ones that are long enough to conceal an IWB holster.

Actually most of the LEO's I talk to don't really care. In fact they said it would help because the bad guy would think twice if they new how many people are carrying. What they do hate is all the call's they get because of the idiots that don't like it.
Depends on where you are. Most LEO's probably don't care, but the idiots do take them away from real police work.

... I recently had an experience where a dude and his girlfriend thought I was carrying concealed and made a huge ruckus in the establishment I was in, so I left. Didn't need the grief.
That is really bizarre. I have never had anyone intimate that they thought I was carrying. What sort of an establishment where you in, for this to take place?

What do you guys think? Bad idea to open carry? [/QUOTE said:
Snipped the OP for brevity.

Have you seen this website? OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

As for making yourself a target or losing your sidearm to a gun grab, I have not seen any real evidence of this proven. Lots of sage advice here with regard to retention holsters and training.

I open carry everywhere it is legal, and have yet to have a negative encounter with anyone in public including law enforcement.
Just last Saturday, went to dinner at our favorite local Mexican restaurant and nobody even noticed. This is my typical experience while out and about everyday. Gun nerds ;), will likely pick you out, but the average citizen going about their daily business rarely notices.

I was on a boat ramp a couple years ago hauling in from crabbing. A 40 something guy asked me if I was a fish and wildlife officer. He was crab fishing with his 70 something father and I explained open carry was legal and I was just a regular citizen with no special powers. His father proceeded to tell a story about "last week" catching a guy pulling his crab pots. He stated he would have put one through the guys engine if he had a gun.

Clearly open carry is not for everyone and you will have to decide what is best for you. Most folks I know who open carry also conceal at times, it all depends on the situation.

~Whitney

Last Edited:
A couple of years ago I was at a Verizon store in Albany when this guy, late 20s with his girlfriend walked in with their miss matched camo and a pistol on their hips. The saw me looking and the guy offered "it's our right! To me the guy was provocative, and in my opinion that is the last thing that I need to do. I never said anything at all, I finished my business and left.

I have open carried in many Oregon State Parks with NO issue. Most people walk arround in condition "White", in their own little world, and dont see it. Others see it and dont comment at all. This said, I prefer to have the surprise advantage. I now carry my handgun in a "Hill People Gear" "heavy recon kit bag".This is like a fanny pack that mounts to your chest. Quick acess to firearm, mags, knife, flashlight, firestarter, paracord...etc. It holds alot of gear, and does not conflict with your pack (like shoulder holsters do). It stays on you when you drop your drawers for a poo. You can carry survival essentials in it in case you get seperated from your pack. You dont muzzle people when you present (like shoulder holsters force you to do). I just cant say enough good things about this rig. Did I mention its American made?

I have open carried in many Oregon State Parks with NO issue. Most people walk arround in condition "White", in their own little world, and dont see it. Others see it and dont comment at all. This said, I prefer to have the surprise advantage. I now carry my handgun in a "Hill People Gear" "heavy recon kit bag".This is like a fanny pack that mounts to your chest. Quick acess to firearm, mags, knife, flashlight, firestarter, paracord...etc. It holds alot of gear, and does not conflict with your pack (like shoulder holsters do). It stays on you when you drop your drawers for a poo. You can carry survival essentials in it in case you get seperated from your pack. You dont muzzle people when you present (like shoulder holsters force you to do). I just cant say enough good things about this rig. Did I mention its American made?

Can you post a link to this bag? I'd love to check it out:)

It's a great piece of kit!
I had one of the original kit bags. Worked real well when I still had my autos. Great company too.

i prefer concealed but would still carry if open was my only option... when i go hunt in eastern oregon i open carry... when i go into town i leave my gun in the car or conceal it before going into the store. the town i go to sees soo many hunters/new faces during hunting season that i dont wanna send the wrong impression and just assume its ok to open carry into their store/respect the owners property. they may be fine with it or not... idk thats just what i do.
We can tell the out of Townes pretty easy,there the ones with the empty holsters when they go to the stores,lol

We can tell the out of Townes pretty easy,there the ones with the empty holsters when they go to the stores,lol
i bet. my buddy got asked to leave it in the car one time in ukiah,or because they didn't recognize him. so thats what we do ever since. dont know how they feel now but i respect their property

There are some great carry vests out there. I had one years ago that would carry,very comfortably I might add,two full sized handguns. A 1911 or a 4" python;).
That one was at a biker shop and leather but there are others that are synthetic materials or cotton also . Not the best for hot days as you don't always need another layer but they do carry nice

I love the Colt Single Action Army revolver, They are hands down my favorites. I own ten of them. I briefly carried one concealed but realized it was really not my best option, they are very slow, you have to manually cock it every shot. What happens if you get in a prolonged situation and have to reload? It's a hell of a lot faster to drop and slam another magazine in the weapon. Now I have a winter and a summer carry gun. Winter carry, CZ-75D PCR (Police CzeCH. Republic) with a sixteen round magazine. Summer carry, Kimber MIcro 9, easy to conceal. Whether concealed or open carry the single action is just too slow.

Did your colts ever Jamb? Knowing your limits might cause a person to take enough time to aim.

Cops have to qualify and they have to score up these days. Gone are the days of just having a bad score that day and you just go off to work with no consequences.

How many times have we heard they shot at the perp. thirty or more times and at that even miss as in a shoot out in NYC a year or so back.

Don't forget to take aim, A really cool move is to grab your gun from the holster and point to a target about the size of a melon at 15 -20 yards as fast as you can. Consider the time.

Now do it to another target wile pointing your index finger straight out and on top of the trigger guard. Collect your time and reconsider not forgetting to aim when ever using this technique should it work for you.
Silver Hand

Here's a link to the Hill People Gear Kit Bag that someone asked about.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

SNKBRG2_220.JPG

They come in a couple of sizes and with various options (extra pockets, Molle webbing, etc). The small one is shown. I can easily pack a 5" 1911 or 5-6" K frame revolver in their standard (large) size Kit Bag. But my Colt SAA in 7 1/2" won't fit. A 4 3/4" barrel certainly would.

You can also stuff a phone, wallet, keys, reloads, etc. in secondary pockets. Far superior to a waist pack for carrying while hiking and running. When you leave it unzipped just a little, it easy to tear down the zippered front panel, using your fingers like claws, and quickly access the firearm with your dominant hand.

In my opinion, HPG is a pretty skookum outfit. Their backpacks are high quality and are exceptionally comfortable. The grimlocks shown on the front immediately above the bag will permit you to dock the Kit bag to their regular backpacks. So you can wear a backpack with the addition of a smaller front-pack (kit bag) containing your handgun and other items that you want quickly accessible.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads