JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most small predators such as raccoons, opossums, or skunks are easily killed by a .22 chest shot...but not immediately. Brain shots will kill immediately, but are hard to get. The brain is small and the head is usually moving. And its often night. The chest-shot animal usually runs off to die elsewhere, leaving us unhappy because we wanted a kill as close to instant as possible. Or the animal collapses but writhes in agony for most of a full minute or more while dying--a long time if you yourself are crying inside while you watch. If you are a more callous sort you might not care. But I'm not and I do. And I'm not alone. Many people using 9mm have the same experience with small predators, and end up switching to .45acp. The 9mm bullets, even if fancy SD jhps, tend to just zip through such a small light target without opening up. The .45acp normally achieves the instant or almost instant kill desired. So does a .357 mag. I'm guessing that a .38sp would have the same problems as 9mm in round nose or jhp types, but would probably also do the trick with full wadcutters and maybe with semi wadcutters or round nose flat point designs.
my son came up with the idea to use his old paint ball marker to "discourage" them
he has an old Tippman with adjustable pressure, just turn it up to "seek and destroy"
it has a Hammerhead backspin barrel and puts out some good energy - I know, I've been on the receiving end

my son came up with the idea to use his old paint ball marker to "discourage" them
he has an old Tippman with adjustable pressure, just turn it up to "seek and destroy"
it has a Hammerhead backspin barrel and puts out some good energy - I know, I've been on the receiving end
I must say I'm feeling a little disappointed. That's really not in the spirit of the title of the thread.

:D

How about a decoy lady racoon made of Tannerite? You'll need to video it for us though. :s0087:

I must say I'm feeling a little disappointed. That's really not in the spirit of the title of the thread.

:D

How about a decoy lady racoon made of Tannerite? You'll need to video it for us though. :s0087:
I know, but this is a little raccoon who comes up for breakfast every morning
I know he didn't kill the goose and I hate to kill him - he sits on the porch and lets me feed him
yesterday, I aimed the Ruger at him at just saw that cute face in the crosshairs - couldn't pull the trigger
I did shoot the big one eared male yesterday afternoon - he's probably the one who killed the goose
I want this little guy to go away and not grow up here
I have no reservations killing other raccoons, but this little guy is like a pet

I know, but this is a little raccoon who comes up for breakfast every morning
I know he didn't kill the goose and I hate to kill him - he sits on the porch and lets me feed him
yesterday, I aimed the Ruger at him at just saw that cute face in the crosshairs - couldn't pull the trigger
I did shoot the big one eared male yesterday afternoon - he's probably the one who killed the goose
I have no reservations killing other raccoons, but this little guy is like a pet

You're still feeding them?

Why? Trap, shoot, done.

You're still feeding them?
we weren't feeding them, they were eating the cat food - I've see the cat and a raccoon eating at the same time
this little guy will come up next to me and take food I drop for him
I don't give food to any other raccoon
but I quite giving him food after the goose was killed - he still comes up looking for breakfast
so far, I hit 2, but think we have at least 5 in the area that come up in the daytime, but haven't seen the pack of 3 since the goose was killed
the geese are put up at night, so I don't worry about night predators
I was told they are nocturnal, but out here, we see them in the day time every day

My NV scope videos shots. I have six jars of tannerite, too.

It feels the same way about you....

My NV scope videos shots. I have six jars of tannerite, too.

It feels the same way about you....
several years ago, we had a female raccoon who would sit with me when I drank wine and listened to mellow jazz
she would listen when I discussed politics and life and we enjoyed sax jazz together in the evenings
but she disappeared after 3 years

several years ago, we had a female raccoon who would sit with me when I drank wine and listened to mellow jazz
she would listen when I discussed politics and life and we enjoyed sax jazz together in the evenings
but she disappeared after 3 years
Hate to say it, but she musta found a cooler dude to hang out with.
It can happen.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads