JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
don't need quiet where I live

my son impressed me this evening

he tells me just one 10/22 by the front door isn't enough

he suggested I keep the Ruger with the red dot scope by the front door, where he can grab it if needed,

BUT, put one of the other Rugers ( have 4)by the sliding door with a full view of the deck

then put bowls of cat food out on the deck, when our cameras detect racoons out on the porch, he and I will rush into the living room, I'll grab the 10/22 with the Leupold 4X scope, lay on the floor aiming out the door, then he will slide open the curtains and open the slider
I then have a clear field of fire across the deck, with no neighbor structure in line for 300 yrds
my wife is so pissed at the raccoons for killing the baby Emden, she agreed to allow me to shoot the 10/22 from in the house, have a sheet hung to catch the brass

my wife is so pissed at the raccoons for killing the baby Emden, she agreed to allow me to shoot the 10/22 from in the house, have a sheet hung to catch the brass
She's a keeper, all right! :s0140:

my wife took this photo with her cell phone trough the front door - eating the cat's food

she thought they were cute at that time

I think it's the same vicious group

View attachment 1228292
Place we used to live I thought the same. Used to feed a few of them. Our two dogs who were only 10#'s knew to leave them alone when they came into the yard so I thought it was cute. Then one morning I had just come home, still dark, I was watching a few of them out front. Dogs were out on the deck and one coon suddenly ran at her and attacked. Only thing I could grab fast was a Maglight. Dog was trying to get away but coon had one leg hooked with its claws. I took the flashlight to the damn thing fully expecting to have to go get Rabies Vaccine. I hit the coon a few time who was trying to get away from me but was still hooked to the dog who was trying to get away. Guess that's the only reason the coon did not get me. Anyway after that I was going to kill any of them that came in the yard but that beat down seemed to teach them they had worn out their welcome. I would now and then see them running along the top of the fence but never again saw them in the yard. :mad:

I'd like for people's dogs to die for crapping on my lawn, too but I also know that's not a reasonable outcome. Nature is gonna nature, raccoons gotta eat, too.
I live on a LARGE property now. Have Coyotes, and Raccoons at night. Chickens are in a 10 X30 enclosure. When they go to roost was also close up their house. Have a motion detecting camera out there. So far the Dogs when they set it off are moving and not even slowing down. Mated pair of coons that are HUGE and so far have left them alone. There is plenty of food out there so I am live and let live as long as they leave the chickens alone. first time either starts trying to get into the enclosure to eat the chickens they will be assume room temp. I feed the wild rabbits out there so they seem to keep the dogs fed without bothering my dogs or chickens. There is a pair of either Coopers or Sharp Shined hawks come by to take squirrels and rabbits. Other day a very large bird, either brown hawk or an Eagle was hunting. Crows that live there went full on attack mode. The crows harass the little hawks but this one they were openly attacking. Told Wife will have to give them a treat too as that bird was large enough to take one of our dogs if it got the chance. :eek:

it's 1:30 in the morning - got up to pee and noted a raccoon on the porch
first peed - then go the 10/22 and opened the door - just not awake enough to want to kill the raccoon
soooo - I just fired a couple rounds past his head - the raccoon didn't even flinch
so fired a couple more past the left side, it just stood up on it's hind legs and wigged it's ears at me
pissed, I emptied the 10 rnd mag just over it's head between it's ears - it still didn't flinch
finally had to walk out and throw a boot at the creature to get it off the porch
10 rnds out of the 10/22 around it's head and it didn't even flinch!!!

I was once told they are nocturnal animals, but we see them all the time during the day

for the next month or so, my son and I will carry the Ruger anytime we go out the door

will set a live trap on their trails every evening - not that they're going to get out of the cage alive if I get one

protection of livestock on private property is still an obligation to us
I used to use live traps as part of my strategies to protect my duck flock. Did not want to harm the neighborhood cats, who were doing me and ducks no harm.

Raccoons are most likely to go in a live trap if its baited with meat or fish, including smoked herring or tuna fish. Something protein they can smell from a distance. It also helps to put the trap against something like a fence, house, or shed, ideally near a path they use, and cover most of the top with a board or brush. They are covered from above and protected from one side and think the trap not only has a goodie inside but is safe from predators. Its best to handle the trap, bait, and bait container wearing rubber gloves so you won't leave as much human scent on the trap. Once trapped racoon can be drowned by putting trap in a barrel or trash bin full of water. Or shot through the wire. Handle trap with the handle only. Racoons will try to attack you through the wires by both biting and scratching. And their hands can go through the spaces between the wires, and they have sharp claws. I hated killing racoons. But back when I had a duck flock, both shooting raccoons and using live traps was mandatory.

Last Edited:
My neighbor across the street had all their chickens (a bunch) killed by raccoons, so they are open season at my place as well.

One was running across the back yard so I popped it with the 22wmr and damn thing just jumped in the air and bolted off down the bank and out of sight. I never found the vermin. It's a bolt action so only able to get off one shot. I have my Marlin Model 70 22lr with a 25 round mag by the door now. It's going to be quantity over quality from here on out.

Imo all this fuss is not needed. Use this kind of trap. Then at ur convenience shoot in ear hole or base of head at the neck for instant humane kill (or just erase the creature with a 12 gauge). Things are simple.

99AF6078-B217-46AD-AEE8-4CDA2B0A17B3.jpeg

Last Edited:
I was plagued by these critters at my last house, which was so surrounded by other homes that shooting was not possible. You're lucky there. I resorted to live traps, then dunking them in a drum full of water to test how long they could hold their breath. They all failed. It saddened me, but was the most humane method I could come up with. The local animal control folks said I should relocate them, which made no sense to me. I thought of putting the trap inside a bag and gassing them with my car exhaust, but that might bring attention I didn't want. One large raccoon knew how to escape the trap by flipping it over and fighting his way out. Many of them were smart enough to pilfer the bait without setting the trap off. I caught 5 one summer, but that only dented the population. There are none near our new home. And no squirrels either. But they're coming! I can feel them.

I don't know if it's already been said or already known, but their poop can be harmful to humans and pets, so should be carefully dealt with.

don't need quiet where I live

my son impressed me this evening

he tells me just one 10/22 by the front door isn't enough

he suggested I keep the Ruger with the red dot scope by the front door, where he can grab it if needed,

BUT, put one of the other Rugers ( have 4)by the sliding door with a full view of the deck

then put bowls of cat food out on the deck, when our cameras detect racoons out on the porch, he and I will rush into the living room, I'll grab the 10/22 with the Leupold 4X scope, lay on the floor aiming out the door, then he will slide open the curtains and open the slider
I then have a clear field of fire across the deck, with no neighbor structure in line for 300 yrds
During my duck-flock keeping days I took a screen off a living room window, which was second floor relative to back yard and just over duck night pen. I'd shoot my 686 snubby out the window. I had Ancona ducks, who are good dual purpose egg/meat ducks and much wiser about predators than other duck breeds or any other poultry. If anything threatened the ducks they would give distinctive alarm calls and I would go open the window, and, if it was a first-time offender coming after my ducks, I would put a shot in the ground next to it. About 2/3 of the raccoons would depart immediately and never return. About 1/3 of the coons would come back, usually two nights later. And get shot. Being a biologist and naturalist, I prefer to train my resident predators rather than kill them. And its a better approach, as killing the raccoons leave an empty territory some other raccoons will soon occupy. But once you have big trained raccoons who leave your poultry alone you and those coons can coexist. If I had ever had a raccoon coming around in the day or running in packs or coming up on my porch though, I would have just shot them. That's too disrespectful. Too familiar and contemptuous of humans to be trained to stay away from my ducks. Probably being fed by someone or living off dog food in bowls on porches.

first peed - then go the 10/22 and opened the door - just not awake enough to want to kill the raccoon
soooo - I just fired a couple rounds past his head - the raccoon didn't even flinch
so fired a couple more past the left side, it just stood up on it's hind legs and wigged it's ears at me
pissed, I emptied the 10 rnd mag just over it's head between it's ears - it still didn't flinch
finally had to walk out and throw a boot at the creature to get it off the porch
Wrong you did it.

Anyway after that I was going to kill any of them that came in the yard but that beat down seemed to teach them they had worn out their welcome.
I loved this part... :s0140:
^^^^ Something needed at "peaceful" protests....

A waste of bullets.

That's what a shovel and a garden are for. :s0092:
I neglected to say this was in El Monty Ca back in the 80"s, (before he move to North Dakota) his neighborhood was without much property between neighbors, built on sand and gravel, sporting mainly cacti, palms and jade and a ton of concrete, brick, stucco and adobe as far as the eye could see. You would have to be pretty industrious and intent to dig a hole there with anything less than a back hoe! ;)

When 'coons wiggle their ears at you, they are flipping you the bird in 'coon lingo.

just not awake enough to want to kill the raccoon
I seem to be missing something - you open with DEATH TO ALL RACCOONS, describe your 'tactical' approach with cameras, food, scoped 10-22s, and then mention shooting all around one - and then throwing a boot at it? This would have been 'awake' enough for me.

Shooting all around them or throwing things at them ain't gonna do much. Ya gotta kill 'em or let 'em be.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads