JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I mentioned I had a (semi) soft spot for raccoons...

But even this guy's antics freak me the f@ck out.

I'd rather play with IED's.

edit: But then again - this guy might be on to something. He's obviously surrounded by the enemy and has adjusted his life style accordingly.
That's what happens when you illegally feed wild animals. Guy should be fined into oblivion.

Raccoons have over a 40% chance of being rabid. Nasty trash pandas.

will set a live trap on their trails every evening - not that they're going to get out of the cage alive if I get one
I used a live trap to deal with some skunks that tore out the wire screening in my foundation and took up residence under my house. I successfully relocated them - from above ground to below ground. Hollow points and a 10/22 for the win.

When a family of raccoons killed my favorite laying hen after chewing their way through the coops wire enclosure one night, I rigged up a 4' metal stake with a hole at the top and placed it near the coop.
I then ran some fishing line through the hole and over to my bedroom window, where I hung a little brass bell from it.
I tied a raw piece of chicken meat to the other end and pulled it up to the top of the stake.
The next night, I was awoken by the bell softly tinkling and I had my suppress 22 rifle with illuminated night scope ready to go.
The outstretched paws trying to take away the chicken meat presented a perfect upraised chin shot.
Ten minutes later, another racoon came along and stood next to the first one which looked like it was asleep and I bagged the second one just as cleanly.
The third critter wasn't as stupid and I had to use a Hav-A -Heart animal trap for him that was baited with cat food.

Last Edited:
I'm not going to offend readers with gory details

just shot the first one - good head shot - enough damage to kill a human

and it ran away - not fast or steady, but a head shot didn't drop it in it's tracks

will try a heart lung shot behind the front legs next time

download-3.png

I have had the best luck with 4 shot from the old model 12 12ga. Bagged two with one shot at 45 yards in the chicken coop. Used the baby monitor to listen for upset hens. Worked very well! Got a third one 15 min later. No more issues.

I'd like for people's dogs to die for crapping on my lawn, too but I also know that's not a reasonable outcome. Nature is gonna nature, raccoons gotta eat, too.

One of my dogs came down with COONHOUND PARALYSIS after a fight with a racoon, after that I shot every racoon I saw tell we moved , .22LR will bounce off the forehead of a big one so I started shooting them under the chin.

a pack of 3 raccoons killed one of our baby Emden geese right off the porch at one this afternoon

they scattered when my son ran out, but to late

DEATH TO ALL RACCOONS

our Tony Kidd 10/22 is going to get a workout - loaded with mini mag hollow points - red dot scope zeroed for 50 yrds - can hunt at night with this setup

have a hand held night optic to search them out after dark

DEATH TO ALL RACCOONS

View attachment 1228269
Don't forget the shovel, gloves and a plastic bag :s0093:

Raccoon Man and his friends have your house surrounded.
They are here to discuss the terms of your surrender.
How long before he's feeding them fingers?:s0092:

After my brother-in-law's little dog was killed by those critters, he turned a metal garbage can upside down by his back door, placed a rubber dish drain mat on top, and a cookie sheet on top of that with the same dog food they were use to pilfering. He had run a wire to the back porch light with one attached to the can and the other to the cookie sheet. they made regular visits so sitting in the laundry room where he could see the can so as to insure the safety of cats and other things when the prowl time was near, he switched on the light sw. (bulb removed) that very night he got all three of murdering band of vagrants as they did a good job of electrocuting themselves trying for the food. In hind sight, something he wished he had thought of first, he said should he need to do it again, he will make sure it was the day before garbage pick up instead of a a day after (in California heat they get pretty ripe by six days)

Raccoons are not welcome here. I've had a 35 year battle against them. One time about 30 years ago, they got some of my baby chicks. I started a year long campaign of eradication. I stopped counting after I got two dozen that year. But after that, I had wiped out their population in my area,. I've been told that when you wipe out a family territory, it takes a while for neighboring families to discover the vacancy,. Lately, I'm seeing them and their sign pretty regularly. So far this year, I've only gotten one but I've seen more around since. It's a work in progress.

My technique is to trap them in a "live" trap. Ha Ha, they don't leave it live. But it allows me to catch them without waiting up at night. Once in the trap, I just give them a head shot with a .22 CB; it works, it's quiet and it's economical. On occasion I've gotten them treed and taken my time with careful shots.

A .22 ? I think you need a bigger gun.
Yes, but I've used up to 8x56R Austrian Army rifle with reduced loads. One time years ago, I took a running shot with a .222 Remington, in my neighborhood it went off with a crack that might as well have been a German 88.

and it ran away - not fast or steady, but a head shot didn't drop it in it's tracks
Even mortally wounded, they will run along on pure nerve impulse for a while. If I'm out on my property and see one, I'll go back in and get a .22 rifle. Sometimes, I will take a running shot at one, they get it in the arse going over a fence or whatever. But they carry away a bullet or two which can get them down eventually. As often as not, by the time I've gotten hold of my rifle, they are gone.

Raccoons in settled areas are pests. Just like rats and mice. They are not cute, loveable creatures that children see in cartoons.

Signed,

DEATH TO ALL RACCOONS.

I'm not going to offend readers with gory details

will try a heart lung shot behind the front legs next time
At close range a head shot is still better. Shoot for the base of their ear. :s0093:

After my brother-in-law's little dog was killed by those critters, he turned a metal garbage can upside down by his back door, placed a rubber dish drain mat on top, and a cookie sheet on top of that with the same dog food they were use to pilfering. He had run a wire to the back porch light with one attached to the can and the other to the cookie sheet. they made regular visits so sitting in the laundry room where he could see the can so as to insure the safety of cats and other things when the prowl time was near, he switched on the light sw. (bulb removed) that very night he got all three of murdering band of vagrants as they did a good job of electrocuting themselves trying for the food. In hind sight, something he wished he had thought of first, he said should he need to do it again, he will make sure it was the day before garbage pick up instead of a a day after (in California heat they get pretty ripe by six days)
That's what a shovel and a garden are for. :s0092:

I have problems with ARs under 35 yrds
with the high scope mount, one tends to undershoot a that range - I've missed several snap shots at that range
the 10/22 is dead nuts on at short range
never underestimate the power of a .22LR hollow point out of a rifle
not so a .22 pistol
Sight in your AR for 25 yards. With M-193 rounds, a carbine-length barrel, and 2.5" sight height, you'll be dead nuts on at both 25 yards and 300 yards.
Dope chart says so, and I've proven it with at least 4 of my own rifles.

ETA:
Here's a crude sketch I had to draw for one of my shooting buddies who couldn't understand how a scope could have two "bullseye points." He was under the (mistaken) impression that a bullet climbed out of the barrel (because he was incorrectly interpreting a ballistics chart/bullet trajectory graph), and then magically dropped into the target zone. I tried to convince him that a bullet drops as soon as it leaves the barrel. Sir Isaac Newton says so, and so does gravity. I couldn't get it across to him any other way than by this sketch. Mind you, by presenting this sketch, I do not presume that you don't already know this. It was just a helpful graphic for my buddy to understand how I can hit bullseyes at both 25 yards and 300 yards without a scope adjustment.

Click to enlarge
2 sight-in points.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads