JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I prescribe to the old adage of "don't tell on yourself", kind of like when talking to a LEO, do you volunteer information that could make the conversation uncomfortable, or just try to get through it as quickly as possible?

My wife and I prescribe to the old adage of "don't tell on yourself", kind of like when talking to a LEO, do you volunteer information that could make the conversation uncomfortable, or just try to get through it as quickly as possible?
They will try to get you to talk.

I was stopped a couple of years ago for a traffic infraction and the LEO kept trying to ask my why I was speeding and passing. I just kept saying "no good reason officer" because that was simply the truth - I didn't feel he needed to know the details of my motivations when it was essentially irrelevant, not a good reason to do what I did, and I wasn't going to get into an argument/debate/discussion about why I did what I did. Give me the ticket and let's both go on about our business.

I have a general rule, don't talk to the police unless it is really necessary.

So is the no conceal in the bar a Washington thing or is that in Oregon also. Never heard about that in OR anyway, but im new to the chl thing and am still learning where I can and where I cannot.

What is that
Depending on which permits you hold, you need to familiarize yourself with the laws governing legal concealed carry.

If you have an Oregon permit, ORS 166, Washington is RCW 9. Washington law forbids ALL firearms in any area that minors are not allowed, aka bars. Oregon does not have any laws forbidding carry in bars.

Last Edited:
Ah ok. I dont have a permit for WA at this time just OR. I am learning alot since getting the OR one and have not actually carried yet until im certain where I can. Thanks for the info solv3nt!

Ah ok. I dont have a permit for WA at this time just OR. I am learning alot since getting the OR one and have not actually carried yet until im certain where I can. Thanks for the info solv3nt!

This will help.
https://www.oregonfirearms.org/
Don't understand why carry in a bar is illegal. I guess the libs are just following through with the philosophy that people can't be trusted on their own and the nanny state must do the thinking for them.

Yeah WA has been a no carry in Bars for years.... I even knew that before I was legal to carry.... to my surprise one day I walk into a Cali bar in a rural town (was doing some work down there) and what do I see first thing a pistol hanging out the back of a pair of jeans..... I just went to bar and ordered a drink:D

I remember some people telling me it was illegal to carry in a bar in Oregon back some decades ago, but that was before the internet and it might have been a rumor.

I think the theory is that alcohol and guns don't mix, and there is a point to that.

However, bars and taverns are not the only place where alcohol is served and maybe not the only place an unattended minor is prohibited? A lot of restaurants serve alcohol today.

I remember some people telling me it was illegal to carry in a bar in Oregon back some decades ago, but that was before the internet and it might have been a rumor.

I think the theory is that alcohol and guns don't mix, and there is a point to that.

However, bars and taverns are not the only place where alcohol is served and maybe not the only place an unattended minor is prohibited? A lot of restaurants serve alcohol today.
I can understand that some people have that opinion, but we don't have that problem here in Oregon. There is not, nor has there been, an outbreak of people, vetted by the FBI, state police, and county sheriffs office, who are involved in shootouts in bars. I suspect that it's the liberals who fear that their favorite people are the one who would start such violence. After all, the libs hold up Michael Brown as one of their heroes.

I believe it comes into play if an establishment makes more than half its profit from the sale of alcohol, so most restaurants have a bar in which it would be illegal to carry inside the bar area, but every bar/tavern in WA it is illegal anywhere on the premises. This is info I got from various servers and bartenders Ive talked to so take it for what its worth.

I believe it comes into play if an establishment makes more than half its profit from the sale of alcohol, so most restaurants have a bar in which it would be illegal to carry inside the bar area, but every bar/tavern in WA it is illegal anywhere on the premises. This is info I got from various servers and bartenders Ive talked to so take it for what its worth.
Not 100% accurate. It's and area deemed off limits to minors by the liquor control board. That decision is based off of the type of liquor license held.
For example one could carry in a tap room as minors are allowed.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Not 100% accurate. It's and area deemed off limits to minors by the liquor control board. That decision is based off of the type of liquor license held.
For example one could carry in a tap room as minors are allowed.
Exactly right. And it will be posted "No minors allowed" McGraths in Vancouver has a little green sign at the entrance from the Liquor Control Board saying that as though it pertains to the whole restaurant and bar area. That's wrong, it only applies to the bar area itself as they allow minors to be seated outside the bar area.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Exactly right. And it will be posted "No minors allowed" McGraths in Vancouver has a little green sign at the entrance from the Liquor Control Board saying that as though it pertains to the whole restaurant and bar area. That's wrong, it only applies to the bar area itself as they allow minors to be seated outside the bar area.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Deen

I think you should have chimed in a few posts earlier......

I think it is now a she should have just been quiet thread.... am being nice.....

I'd like to think she said "Oops! I lost my mind. That was a bad lapse in judgement and I'll never do it again. Sorry about that."

Meanwhile, I'm thinking back and wondering if I have broken the law in either state. Probably. I don't frequent bars/restaurants with bouncers, cursory patdowns or metal detectors. My weapon remains concealed. If I'm ever enjoying a steak and a pint, and someone figures out what's discretely concealed under my shirt or jacket, we both have much bigger problems than if I'm playing by the rules or not.

Someday if I've had too many steaks and I'm vapor locked on the floor, my sweetheart knows she needs to quickly make sure my pistol is no part of the developing equation. Bless her heart.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top