JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just one more small whine. I get so sick of reading "PAY TO PARK AND ENTER THE SHOW!"

If you can't pay to park perhaps you should buy a reasonably nice tiddlywinks set and take it up as a hobby! After the initial investment very cheap to play! No parking either!:mad:

I'm sorry I fondle your guns with no intention of buying. I'm also sorry I didn't see the sign about not touching your guns without permission. You see, classic S&W or Colt revolvers turn me on. I think, no, I'm sure it's the wood grips. Maybe if you made the sign larger than 4"X 6"? When there's something like a dozen very nice revolvers on the table that little sign isn't even visible there at the back.

I promise that when I fondle your gun I always treat it better than I would my own, and I'm always VERY careful to not hurt it. Next time I go to a show I think I'll take a shop rag to wipe away my fingerprints.

Mike

The gun show vendors made plenty of money right after Obama pushed for a ban on assault weapons.
They were all laughing to the bank while they more then tripled their profits.
Now that things are somewhat back to normal, 10% profit doesn't seem enough.

Last Edited:
The gun show vendors made plenty of money right after Obama pushed for a ban on assault weapons.
They were all laughing to the bank while they tripled their profits.
Now that things are somewhat back to normal, 10% profit doesn't seem enough.

I am not working for 10% profit. That makes no sense at all. If a gun vendors business model is predicated on that level of profit, and you cannot be competitive at gun shows, then you need to find a new model. That imply does not make business sense.

After reading 3 pages of this, it confirms my belief that the gun show slow model is on its way out. I have no intention of driving 35 miles, pay to park, pay to get in, and then deal with some of attitudes you have to from dealers. I can find virtually everything I want on the net.

People are going to handle your guns if you have them out on the table for sale. It is part of the buying process. It is a retail business where you and your products are willing exposed to huge amounts of people, not all who are buyers. Frustrating, but if it bothers a merchant, then reconsider the model.

If you have 10 items for sale, would you rather make $100 profit on the one you sell to the uninformed buyer, and have 9 you can't sell because they are overpriced...:(:(

OR...

Would you rather make $10 profit on each, and sell them all, rotate inventory, and introduce 10 people to you and your business....:D:)

(Do NOT let my smiles affect your decision to the above question;):cool::confused::D:D)

I don't consider myself a merchant, it's more of a hobby. It's going to be fun and make a little profit or I won't do it. That is why you see less small dealers with the good deals, it's no fun and it doesn't pay. Guy sets up thousand of dollars worth of guns on the table just to hear what a fricking crook he is for asking what it's worth. He worked for those guns.

So the little guy leaves and the professional gunshow dealer takes over. He is going to make 40% or the show isn't worth the time and effort. The cash outlay in inventory alone is more than most guys have at home. Everyone's time is worth money and every time a guy picks up your gun he can cost you money by the way he handles it. Guys in the public now have very little gun show etiquette, that's some bodies property you are picking up and they had to work for the money to buy it.

Well I am done with this thread, go to the show or stay home. The market will always find its place.

Edited to add, sorry about having a pretty good grouch on but it ticks me off guys who never run a table bubblegum about the way it's done. In everything involved in shooting there are the watchers and the doers. Shoot a match and you have the few that set it up and the rest bubblegum as they enjoy the work you put into it. No thanks guys, count me out on your fun.

Last Edited:
Some of the comments here are insane. Do people know not know that XYZ LGS has no say over what the venue charges for parking, space rental, concessions, or insurance? Do people not understand that there are inventory, transport, and setup costs for attending these events? Most of the smaller shops are lucky to break even at these shows. They know that, and count on additional business from the advertising they get from being there.

If it was a backwoods event where the merchants only brought what they could fit in their rucksacks, that would be different. But it's not. Anyone looking for bargain basement deals is bound to be disappointed. If you don't like the price, don't buy the item. If you really want it, ask the guy if he'll come down in price. Most of these people are not unreasonable. But that doesn't mean that they are there to give you their money either.

This is not fact,however I have suspension that you only make 10 % selling firearms. As a successful buss. owner it is common knowledge that any buss. needs about 35% gross profit just to stay open, then you have to make a profit to grow the buss. Also when in stock I can buy A particular pistol in 22 lr for $160.00 and @ the show the least expensive is $195.00. please read and do the math

You're right, you do need to make 35% gross profit. However, 35% on gross profit on most firearms is a huge amount when you look at competitive pricing. For instance, one larger local gun dealer sells a particularly popular carry pistol at roughly $20 over cost. When you are talking a below $300 item, $20 comes no where near 35% gross profit. Gun shops, even when not at shows, make their money on accessories and ammo. If you misunderstood me as saying it's ALWAYS 10% then I apologize for not being more clear. On average most firearms are priced roughly 10 to 15% above cost. You really cant even look at gross profit on a firearm because you would price yourself out of any sales.

OK...:):D

Besides the fact that I have been complaining about gun shows for years, and ALL of my friends feel the same, here is why I posted this FINAL gun show attending post;:cool:

I will review and proof read this so ALL THE QUOTES AND FACTS WILL BE 100% ACCURATE.

Last Sunday, I attended a Collectors West gun show in Medford.

I got there about 2PM.

I stopped and talked with a few vendors, and am actually going to buy an item for my AR from one of them, the manufacturer of the product, but didn't buy just then.

I saw a holster I was interested in, but wanted to see the rest of the show before buying that one.

So, people started packing up their displays about 2:45, and I broke off a conversation with a vendor (who was NOT supposed to be selling there..but that's another story).
(I don't remember ANYTHING about him, so no inquiries please)....

I headed over to the vendor who was selling the holster. It was marked $45.00.

I asked him NICELY "Can you afford to sell this to me for $25.00?"

Expecting a Yes or no, with a possible counter offer of $35.00+/-, I was to be disappointed with his reaction.

"NO I CAN'T SELL IT FOR $25!"

LAUGHING AT ME AND MY OFFER, he said, "It's marked $45.00. I'm not going to sell it for $25.00!

He grabbed it from me and put it back on the table.

I looked at him and said "You know, it's probably not a good thing to laugh at peoples offers. It might discourage them from making them".

He responded SARCASTICALLY "Well, thanks for that information".

I responded; "You're Welcome", and I turned and started leaving.

He said something to me, which I didn't hear, so I turned around and responded "I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said".

His response; "Well, why don't you get the peanut butter out of your ears!"

My response, in a disappointing voice; OH, F.... you.

I realized that he was just a Helper, not the vendor himself, so I asked "Who's the vendor here?"

A neighboring vendor pointed to a tall guy at the other end of the tables, so I went to him.

I asked; "Do you have a business card?"

"WHY?" he responded.

"Well, I'd like to know what business I'm dealing with here".

"What for?" he replied.

"Ah, never mind", I said, and I walked away.

I was actually going to call him in a few days and discuss this incident, maybe make another offer on that holster.

NOW, I have seen this vendor at almost every gun show in Medford for YEARS.

I have never inquired into any of his inventory, because everything is priced sky high.
I have learned to just walk by his tables, without as much as a glance.
Want an old beat up box of 38 special semi-wad cutters?
Got $30.00?

He rents, I am guessing, 10 tables, so he does have a large overhead, plus paying his "help".

Maybe these 2 guys were mad because there were..... Honesty .....more vendors than customers on the floor at that time, being SB Sunday.

Other vendors seemed really "Pushy-High Pressure-car salesman" types, hawking guns that I have purchased for much less, products that were purchased on eBay and marked up 50%+, etc.....

Not all, but TOO MANY.

In years past, this show would PACK IN the vendors, and you had to reserve a table 6 months in advance.

This past Sunday, they couldn't fill 3/4 the space.

So, with that experience and the feeling I got overall at the show, I have concluded that it's just not an event I wish to support any longer.

I can buy new guns through my LGS at LESS than Bud's prices.
I don't buy used guns, so...........
I pay retail for accessories, but have asked and received discounts on a few items.

The gun show vendors are cutting their own throat and they can't figger' out why.

That "Gun Show Loophole" may not need to be addressed in the near future....:confused:.

OK...:):D

Besides the fact that I have been complaining about gun shows for years, and ALL of my friends feel the same, here is why I posted this FINAL gun show attending post;:cool:

I will review and proof read this so ALL THE QUOTES AND FACTS WILL BE 100% ACCURATE.

Last Sunday, I attended a Collectors West gun show in Medford.

I got there about 2PM.

I stopped and talked with a few vendors, and am actually going to buy an item for my AR from one of them, the manufacturer of the product, but didn't buy just then.

I saw a holster I was interested in, but wanted to see the rest of the show before buying that one.

So, people started packing up their displays about 2:45, and I broke off a conversation with a vendor (who was NOT supposed to be selling there..but that's another story).
(I don't remember ANYTHING about him, so no inquiries please)....

I headed over to the vendor who was selling the holster. It was marked $45.00.

I asked him NICELY "Can you afford to sell this to me for $25.00?"

Expecting a Yes or no, with a possible counter offer of $35.00+/-, I was to be disappointed with his reaction.

"NO I CAN'T SELL IT FOR $25!"

LAUGHING AT ME AND MY OFFER, he said, "It's marked $45.00. I'm not going to sell it for $25.00!

He grabbed it from me and put it back on the table.

I looked at him and said "You know, it's probably not a good thing to laugh at peoples offers. It might discourage them from making them".

He responded SARCASTICALLY "Well, thanks for that information".

I responded; "You're Welcome", and I turned and started leaving.

He said something to me, which I didn't hear, so I turned around and responded "I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said".

His response; "Well, why don't you get the peanut butter out of your ears!"

My response, in a disappointing voice; OH, F.... you.

I realized that he was just a Helper, not the vendor himself, so I asked "Who's the vendor here?"

A neighboring vendor pointed to a tall guy at the other end of the tables, so I went to him.

I asked; "Do you have a business card?"

"WHY?" he responded.

"Well, I'd like to know what business I'm dealing with here".

"What for?" he replied.

"Ah, never mind", I said, and I walked away.

I was actually going to call him in a few days and discuss this incident, maybe make another offer on that holster.

NOW, I have seen this vendor at almost every gun show in Medford for YEARS.

I have never inquired into any of his inventory, because everything is priced sky high.
I have learned to just walk by his tables, without as much as a glance.
Want an old beat up box of 38 special semi-wad cutters?
Got $30.00?

He rents, I am guessing, 10 tables, so he does have a large overhead, plus paying his "help".

Maybe these 2 guys were mad because there were..... Honesty .....more vendors than customers on the floor at that time, being SB Sunday.

Other vendors seemed really "Pushy-High Pressure-car salesman" types, hawking guns that I have purchased for much less, products that were purchased on eBay and marked up 50%+, etc.....

Not all, but TOO MANY.

In years past, this show would PACK IN the vendors, and you had to reserve a table 6 months in advance.

This past Sunday, they couldn't fill 3/4 the space.

So, with that experience and the feeling I got overall at the show, I have concluded that it's just not an event I wish to support any longer.

I can buy new guns through my LGS at LESS than Bud's prices.
I don't buy used guns, so...........
I pay retail for accessories, but have asked and received discounts on a few items.

The gun show vendors are cutting their own throat and they can't figger' out why.

That "Gun Show Loophole" may not need to be addressed in the near future....:confused:.

That sucks Flinch. bubblegumty you had an experience like that. Smaller shops MUST have good CS because you can't compete with larger stores prices on some stuff, but, in my experience, those shops tend to have a "buy a gun and get out" atmosphere.

..... those shops tend to have a "buy a gun and get out" atmosphere.

Ya, I agree with what you're saying, BUT;

Have you ever hung around a gun store for an hour?

The wackos/stupid folks/idiots/braggarts/know it all's/etc. would drive me nuts in retail gun sales.:confused::rolleyes:o_O

Many times I have been in a LGS buying/looking, and hear the BS, which I am CERTAIN Gun Show Vendors must hear all day long at a show.:(

I would probably be insane (insaner?) if I had to work that industry.:s0107:

But, they (vendors, retail gun stores) chose to get into that industry, so it comes with the territory.:eek:

I find that if I treat my LGS folks with respect, keep my "holier than Thou:D" opinions to myself, NOT hang out just to BS, do my business politely and ask Intelligent questions, they are always glad to see me return, and treat me with the same respect:D:D

"I really should do a thread on gun show etiquette but I think it would be a lost cause.:D "

"Gun Show" and "Etiquette"....
...Now, there's two words I never thought I'd ever see in the same sentence!

I really should do a thread on gun show etiquette but I think it would be a lost cause.:D

THAT reminds me of another incident last Sun.

I was looking at an accessory for an AR.

The vendor hands me a blue AR (Plastic) with the accessory on it and says "Point it over there and look thru......"

Where he said to point had a crowd of 5-6 people standing around.

I said "I'm not going to point it there. There are people standing there".

He looked at me in partial disgust and said "It's a plastic gun".

I responded by saying that the crowd MAY not be able to tell that, and I don't point ANY gun at someone....

Sheese!

"I really should do a thread on gun show etiquette but I think it would be a lost cause.:D "

"Gun Show" and "Etiquette"....
...Now, there's two words I never thought I'd ever see in the same sentence!

Exactly why it's a lost cause, people are too self centered to have manners in a gun show.:D

Seems people are too self centered to have manners ANYWHEREo_O

Yup, there can be confusion as to what manners are due to the net. People don't like what you say but confuse that with bad manners. The net brings out the worst in people when it comes to civility but bad manners in public is home grown.

I should have moved on earlier as I said I was going to.o_O

I like Keith's Gun Shops business plan.
Sell lots, and I mean lots of firearms for a few bucks less then the other local stores.
By selling in volume, he gets a better price from gun manufactures and that makes for more profits.
They may not be the friendliest store to do business with but he's got a great selection of guns, plenty of stock and if your ego needs a hug and a kiss so bad, go visit your Mom.

Last Edited:
Ya, I agree with what you're saying, BUT;

Have you ever hung around a gun store for an hour?

The wackos/stupid folks/idiots/braggarts/know it all's/etc. would drive me nuts in retail gun sales.:confused::rolleyes:o_O

Many times I have been in a LGS buying/looking, and hear the BS, which I am CERTAIN Gun Show Vendors must hear all day long at a show.:(

I would probably be insane (insaner?) if I had to work that industry.:s0107:

But, they (vendors, retail gun stores) chose to get into that industry, so it comes with the territory.:eek:

I find that if I treat my LGS folks with respect, keep my "holier than Thou:D" opinions to myself, NOT hang out just to BS, do my business politely and ask Intelligent questions, they are always glad to see me return, and treat me with the same respect:D:D

Lol, Flinch I hang around a gun store about 40 hours a week bro. =)

Again. They are Gun Shows not Gun Sales. Originally designed to show the product of manufacturers and businesses. Think of the Shot Show. A way of showing "this is new" and/or "this is what we do." Sure there were products you could purchase or order, but the event was designed to promote, a way of advertising. Often you could meet the business owner, the person who designed, smithed or modified a product. Someone with knowledge.

I never needed to attend Gun Shows because I found other ways to advertise my offerings. One of my favorite ways to promote was to attend local shooting events. Offering prizes, supplying ammunition, sponsoring shooters, offering shooting clinics and taking part in the competition will produce business gains and develop relationships. The 25+/- shooters at the event get on the Interweb to tell the forum surfers, their hunting buddies, and acquaintances at work all about you. This process cost less yearly than the cost of advertising in the phonebook.

Another way for the lil Gun Shop to become recognized is to offer a promotional group buy on a high demand product from a reputable manufacturer. Choose a forum with high traffic, discuss the details of the group buy with the forum owner, carry out the process. This gets your name out into the world with little expense. Make sure you take care of these people...package well, ship quickly and follow-up. They are going to ask what else you have to offer, be your future customer and refer others to your business.

More advice. If you don't want it, quit reading. ;) Don't try to compete in a market you cannot.
If you cannot sell volume, do not order firearms that have a retail under $700'ish. Specialize... Pick a reputable manufacturer and become a distributor/master dealer/etc... if you meet their requirements you can often go from 10-15% off firearm list up to 20% off firearm list. Become the "insert brand here" Pro.

Still going... Offer a skill, labor is profitable. Parts and accessories have better margins than firearms but you need to rotate the product. Contact customers when you have a product that you need to get off the shelf. Oh! and here is a big one... If you want to be treated like a professional then you should conduct yourself in a professional manner and appear as a professional. Another one... don't answer questions that you don't know the answer to...."I will find out for you" works much better in those situations.

I can't write very well anymore so I will stop here. I should have just typed out a short clever sentence.

Enjoy
MTpockets

This thread should just end with this post. You get it.

There are multiple models inside any given market segment. Expecting to do well with one model, and one revenue stream is not going to happen. Having multiple revenue streams in multiple market segments in your industry will make sure you stay as vertically integrated as possible.

Know your costs. A company called Microsoft makes this program called Excel for the last 30 or so years. They made no mistakes when they wrote the operating parameters. If you build your business budget properly, cover your direct costs and overhead costs, including your marketing expenses, (gun show /s ale expenses), apply a suitable amount of profit to justify the risk reward you need, and manage to those parameters and take the human emotion out of the decision making, and make your decisions based upon solid economic fact you will do well. Your comments on sales and acting professional are spot on.

Yesterday I called / e mailed two different suppliers for a specialized agricultural product, availability and price for a client. Only about $ 1,000 right away and the potential for up to 3K per year. Not one of those suppliers has managed to get back to me today. None of them...:eek: One of them I used to work for and set up a national sales model, that they felt was not worth paying for....these companies can kiss my a@@.

I know several companies, small and medium size doing very well, and none of them are selling Ford and Chevy guns, they have multiple gun, accessory lines, and some custom stuff as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top