JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay so Today my friend and i went to browns camp, he's got an AR i've got a 12gauge. and we forgot ear plugs or muffs. So im sitting here partially deaf in one ear. Any tips to make it better or just wait it out? And yes i realize it was stupid but we had fun and im gonna pack ear plugs from now on haha

Okay so Today my friend and i went to browns camp, he's got an AR i've got a 12gauge. and we forgot ear plugs or muffs. So im sitting here partially deaf in one ear. Any tips to make it better or just wait it out? And yes i realize it was stupid but we had fun and im gonna pack ear plugs from now on haha

sound exactly like me a few weeks ago, problem is im in the service industry. Trying to hear peoples orders in a loud bar isnt fun. Took me 4 days to gain it all back. Feel your pain bro.

It goes away after a day or two. I was dumb and wanted to know how loud my pocket pistol was -- the theory being if I ever have to draw it in defense I wanted to know what to expect so I didn't freak out.... Yeah.... that was fun :s0112::eek: It was a long couple days before I was back to "normal"

Makeshift ear protection... I was up at Memaloose a few months back, forgot my ear protection, didn't want to drive back home. My gun case had some soft foam it in, I took my knife and cut some small bits out and stuffed those in my ears... they weren't great but they worked better than nothing.

yeah i only have a soft case right now

So that wasn't a choice.. it sucked. after the first few shots it wasnt as loud. but it was louder than it normally would have been because of our surroundings.. Surrounded by trees and a giant rock pile so the sound just bounced back and forth making it super loud..

totally worth it though!!

Makeshift ear protection... I was up at Memaloose a few months back, forgot my ear protection, didn't want to drive back home. My gun case had some soft foam it in, I took my knife and cut some small bits out and stuffed those in my ears... they weren't great but they worked better than nothing.

I've neglected to pack ear protection a couple of times. Fortunately I don't keep my rig very clean and I've always had a newspaper or two in their. It does a decent job of blocking some of the noise. Also comes in handy for other woodland emergencies too:D

If you do that to much, could end up with some hearing trouble. I spent a year in a war zone with out ear protection, lost about 30%..no fun reading lips half the time. I put a pair in my billfold years ago, they are always with me to try saving what I've got left.

remember that hearing loss is cumulative, and irreversible. every time you expose your ears to noise that causes tinnitus or temporary deafness, you've permanently lost some hearing. for some people, it takes years of ear-drum shattering noise to cause problematic hearing loss- but for other people, it only takes a few gun shots. most people are somewhere in the middle, and closer to the latter.

i have permanent hearing loss from my time in the Army, as every vet does. it's pretty miserable, and i'm not that bad off. but its almost impossible for me to hear what people are saying if there's background noise, and some people (usually female) i can hardly understand even when there is no background noise.

i'm a high-strung, deep thinking, anxiety-filled individual... if all i had to listen to all day, day in day out, was my own thoughts- i think i'd probably eat a bullet. i'd rather be blind than deaf. i'm a construction contractor now, and a very regular and high-volume shooter. if i don't have ear plugs, i don't work, and i don't shoot.. it's that important.

invest in an industrial size box of ear plugs.. it'll cost you $20 for a box of like 50 sets. stash them everywhere- in your truck, in your range bag, anywhere on or in your weapons you can fit them.. stick them in your hat, stuff them under your boot-laces, put them in your ammo boxes, etc, etc, etc.. make sure you always have hearing protection.

Always carry the disposal plugs in your vehicles,all of them, just in case of times like you just experienced. Also, Olde military technique, when you need to improvise..Use cig filters, even old ones, if necessary and avoid this pain and problem..

In the mean time, stay away from loud banging or pounding type sounds..

Should improve daily over the next week, if not seek reliable med treatment on Friday. If Physically painful may want to go sooner.

Good Luck.

I remember doing this years ago with a Glock 19 and an AK47. That AK really messed me up. Radio was turned up on the drive home and I couldn't even hear it.

Don't think they make suppressors for Shotguns haha defeats the purpose in my book.

Acutally, they do make shotgun suppressors!

As far as the hearing protection goes, if you find yourself without them agian, my favorite trick has already been mentioned. Just go through the ammo you brought, and pick the best fitting ones. Works like a charm.

I didnt use hearing protection for most of my youth shooting guns(and my family shot ALOT), and while it was a bummer to have ringing ears for a day or so, I never suffered any loss at all. Even today, I may or may not wear plugs, depending on the size and boom of the calibers being shot. But it is very important, as you definately can damage your hearing over time.

I dont want to think about how many decades I just used 38's for plugs. They worked just fine............I said they worked just fine.......no thanks, I dont drink wine...:confused:

I was told by my doc years ago that plugs dont give you all the protection you need. The eardrum can receive cumaltive damage from repeated exposure to gunfire of the outer ear area. Thats the whole idea of earmuffs. Exposure to full auto, SBR's, Magnums or my ex-wife are even worse.

But you are 18 years old. You dont need to worry about your hearing. As you start to get older, in addition to losing your hearing, your hands will start to shake, then your vision will start going and everything begins to sag. After that, your X...!!!.X will stop working as good as it used to. At that point, you'll just sit in the corner and wont care about what anybody is saying to you anyway!:s0095:

Great advice here from bkb - heed his words, young'un!
One thing I might add is that not only is hearing damage cumulative, it's also progressive, meaning that it doesn't all show up at once - It gets worse, not better over time, even though the initial tinnitus fades in a few days. Sort of like sunburn causing skin damage years later.

Not that I'm immune from doing dumb things myself: One single .45 round outdoors, and whooey! did my ears ring! A lesson learned the hard way - again.

With all the shooting (hunting) I've done without earplugs, it's a wonder I can hear at all.
Then there is all those concerts I attended in the '70s,... :cool:
Like I said, it's a wonder I can hear at all. I have forgotten my ear protection too, and have cut patches out of t-shirts if necessary.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top