JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
between family, work, vacation schedules plus coordinating with hunting partners on hunt choices, vacation days....
Ive virtually stopped applying for controlled hunts and just staying with western Oregon general season tags.

im still buying the point savers but still, its just so much easier to hunt west.

between family, work, vacation schedules plus coordinating with hunting partners on hunt choices, vacation days....
Ive virtually stopped applying for controlled hunts and just staying with western Oregon general season tags.

im still buying the point savers but still, its just so much easier to hunt west.

Yep sir, except the west side offers some really excellent cow Elk hunts with some generously loooong seasons to harvest an elk in if one is pressed for time and doesn't Mind forgoing the rack in trade for a good hunt and excellent meat.

Yep sir, except the west side offers some really excellent cow Elk hunts with some generously loooong seasons to harvest an elk in if one is pressed for time and doesn't Mind forgoing the rack in trade for a good hunt and excellent meat.

Whats interesting is since we've only been hunting western Oregon I've taken 3 bulls in the last 6 years general season, the coast range is loaded with elk herds. We basically stuck with the same camp and really got to know the area and deep draws... never really had the chance to get to know any area in Eastern Oregon because of the lottery and drive distance prohibits regular scouting.

the dilemma will be coming up soon as we have still been collecting preference points and we should have enough to assure a hunt soon, do we stay with what we know is good or head east where everyone says "its better hunting"?

Whats interesting is since we've only been hunting western Oregon I've taken 3 bulls in the last 6 years general season, the coast range is loaded with elk herds. We basically stuck with the same camp and really got to know the area and deep draws... never really had the chance to get to know any area in Eastern Oregon because of the lottery and drive distance prohibits regular scouting.

the dilemma will be coming up soon as we have still been collecting preference points and we should have enough to assure a hunt soon, do we stay with what we know is good or head east where everyone says "its better hunting"?

Knowing these critters habits, patterns and familiarity with the territory is most of it for sure Koda!
I hunted east for years. Moved to the coast 25 years ago, them little rocky bulls are safe for now, these big elk taste great over here on the "wet side" and if I told you how many elk our family has taken in those 25 years you'd probably not believe me. In fact to be honest, I've actually lost count and can't remember them all.:s0092:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top