JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Figured out exactly which hoses and plugs to replace in a 6 cyl I/O Cobra and took it out for a chilly high-speed shakedown on Sunday. Basically a 15-minute evolution to drain it or plug it. So now I can do it myself whenever I want to - and not "put it in mothballs" for 5-6 months every year.

Grew up here but never owned boats until I lived in San Diego for awhile. Didn't cover (or winterize) them there. So the whole mildew under the tarp thing is new to me now that I'm home again and boating in the NW.

I'd hate to see mildew take a strong hold. Did a LOT of scrubbing last spring with a cup of bleach in 5 gallons of water. Is there anything quicker you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for tips.

Last Edited:
@teflon97239 . Maybe something to think about next winter. I cover my boat from mid Oct to April these last few years. I've found the cheaper boat covers ($200.00+/-) that "Breathe" are only "Water Repellent", so I always had the bow up and the plug out and therefore some water was always under the cover. And the sun/rain/mildew would trash the cover fairly quick.

The last three years I've bought a relatively inexpensive plastic tarp at Bimart. Crimp small "S" hooks in the grommets. I already had the elastic cord from previous crappy boat covers, but you can buy the elastic cord too. So I put the breathable cover on the boat and secure it. Then I put the appropriate cheap tarp over that and use the elastic cord between the S hooks and the trailer frame to lash it down. Heck, I don't even put the bow up anymore! When I opened the boat up a couple of weeks ago there wasn't drop ONE of dampness anywhere! Of course you need to figure out how to keep water from pooling on the cover, and I have a fair amount of ventilation back by the outboard.

I've paid $10.00 for a 10' X 18' green tarp that just covers my 17.5 Smoker Craft windshield boat.

Good ideas.

I got the heavy $70-80 breathable cover from Walmart in my first NW season here and it works great. Looks and feels the same as the $300 cover at Fisherman's. Especially good over standard PVC pipes bent like covered wagon stays, then gaffer taped with a single ridgepole - and cinched down tight all around (that's an exercise ball in the open bow).

The soaking problem occurred when I dropped the boat off for service a couple times for repairs and it sat behind the shop during monsoons with a 300-400 gallon lake in an un-tented cover. So I started winter 2014 with soaking wet carpeting and everything else under a perfectly good cover! Never again.

It opened up nice and dry this year! I'm just hoping to get rid of the mildew residuals (mostly on the underside of the cover) left over from last year. I'll start with the great ideas from you guys, Simple Green, Lysol, Home Armor, etc. Thank you.

BTW, since that pic was taken, I bolted on a $50 pair of guide poles just aft of the trailer wheels and it winches right into position now. If you fellers don't already have them, they're great!

covered wagon.JPG

There's a certain type of cover I had early on that when it gave up the entire water protective under side of the cover disintegrated into a course dust, and was everywhere. I'm glad whatever your using is working for you. "Carpet", argh, mines a fishing boat, the only carpet is on the sides and in the side compartments. It's held up pretty good for being 15 years old though!

I also have mildew stains, on my vinyl seats, never been able to get rid of it completely.

There's a certain type of cover I had early on that when it gave up the entire water protective under side of the cover disintegrated into a course dust, and was everywhere. I'm glad whatever your using is working for you. "Carpet", argh, mines a fishing boat, the only carpet is on the sides and in the side compartments. It's held up pretty good for being 15 years old though!

I also have mildew stains, on my vinyl seats, never been able to get rid of it completely.

Same here, I bought some expensive cleaner 2 years ago (can't remember the name) that didn't work worth a dayuuummmmm!!!!! threw it way...

As oknow suggests a carport, I have 2) Costco 10'x20' outdoor carport that has held up great for 8 years so far but noticed a few slight tears near the seems on top. Time to tarp it or put up the other new one....;)

Sadly, a carport is out of the question at least for another winter or two until I move to Forest Grove with my sweetheart. I'm on a nice piece of property, but it's on a steep hill.

Realized I already had something to try, that 30-Second spray and rinse stuff in the gallon jug ($7 at Bimart). Did a comparison test between that and a spray bottle of Home Armor (Armorall product). Both removed the dark mossy, mildewy stains from my patio in minutes. And I'm glad I rinsed them both off before I bleached the concrete white. Both products are very strong.

The Home Armor sits in my shower to keep that sparkling. It reeks of bleach.

I think I'll douche the inside of my boat cover with a 50:50 mix of 30-Seconds and water. And then hose it off thoroughly before it dissolves the cover or compromises the water resistant characteristics.

I'll also do a 25% strength mix of 30-Seconds to manually scrub the boat itself on a hot sunny morning and then hose it out and let it dry all day.

Neither product strikes me as something I'd want to accidentally leave on fiberglass, plastic or vinyl for more than a few minutes.

Sadly, a carport is out of the question at least for another winter or two until I move to Forest Grove with my sweetheart. I'm on a nice piece of property, but it's on a steep hill.

Realized I already had something to try, that 30-Second spray and rinse stuff in the gallon jug ($7 at Bimart). Did a comparison test between that and a spray bottle of Home Armor (Armorall product). Both removed the dark mossy, mildewy stains from my patio in minutes. And I'm glad I rinsed them both off before I bleached the concrete white. Both products are very strong.

The Home Armor sits in my shower to keep that sparkling. It reeks of bleach.

I think I'll douche the inside of my boat cover with a 50:50 mix of 30-Seconds and water. And then hose it off thoroughly before it dissolves the cover or compromises the water resistant characteristics.

I'll also do a 25% strength mix of 30-Seconds to manually scrub the boat itself on a hot sunny morning and then hose it out and let it dry all day.

Neither product strikes me as something I'd want to accidentally leave on fiberglass, plastic or vinyl for more than a few minutes.

If you were closer to my property I'd let you park it for free and it would be guaranteed safe!!!;)

Figured out exactly which hoses and plugs to replace in a 6 cyl I/O Cobra and took it out for a chilly high-speed shakedown on Sunday. Basically a 15-minute evolution to drain it or plug it. So now I can do it myself whenever I want to - and not "put it in mothballs" for 5-6 months every year.

Grew up here but never owned boats until I lived in San Diego for awhile. Didn't cover (or winterize) them there. So the whole mildew under the tarp thing is new to me now that I'm home again and boating in the NW.

I'd hate to see mildew take a strong hold. Did a LOT of scrubbing last spring with a cup of bleach in 5 gallons of water. Is there anything quicker you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for tips.
I use one of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/23679412...75035&wl11=online&wl12=23679412&wl13=&veh=sem and a set of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/46823705...75035&wl11=online&wl12=46823705&wl13=&veh=sem connected to a extension cord to my house. Works great.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top