JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reloading on my Dillon 550 for over 10 years with tens of thousands of rounds loaded without issue. Recently I've been having a de-priming issue and wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When reloading, some of my rounds won't de-prime on the 1st stroke, or sometimes even the 2nd. Everything is tight, I'm completing a full stroke on the handle. The de-priming pin is tight, straight and I can actually feel it through the bottom of a de-primed case. The re-sizing die is set properly with locktite. These dies haven't been removed from the tool head in years. The physics of it doesn't make sense. Maybe it's something simple and I'm having a brain dart but it's driving me nuts. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

This is a problem that Dillon solved several years ago with their spring loaded de-priming pins.

What's happening is that the tip of the de-priming pin gets stuck in the anvil of the primer and pulls it back into the pocket just enough to let it move to the same station. Sometimes not quite enough and the shell plate won't move.

Various reloaders have used different methods to cope with this. One is to grind the point of the de-priming pin so it's just about square. This causes it to not go into the bottom of the "cup" in the anvil and will fall off into the catch cup easier.

Others use the Lee Dies as they have a larger pin than some dies use.

And then there's the Dillon Sizing/Depriming die. The pin has a shoulder and spring on it that allows the pin to move up a little and then push the primer out. Once the primer is free of the pocket, the pin snaps back down and jars the spent primer free of the pin tip. Just like one might flick something nasty off their finger :)

I had this problem for a while and finally bought the Dillon die. No more an issue.

I'm using an XL 650 so the problem was really aggravating.

Thank You! I will do just that and order a Dillon die. Just looked at that die on their site and it mentions the same problem. Makes sense, weird ive never had that problem until now so I've never even thought of it as an issue.

I've had this problem periodically with different die sets, the main issue we had was using an RCBS sizing die on the camdex we would get lots of sticks if we didn't "point" the decapping pin. We would just hold the decapping rod in the hand, and then go over to the bench grinder, and give it a quick spin against the wheel. Always worked fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top