JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

The Drill

As a family we decided to open ourselves up and share one of our fun training days.

Bill drills are a multipurpose drill with a few variations. The overall procedure for the bill drill is to draw, and fire 6 rounds into the target. This drill was invented by none other than Mr. Bill Wilson cofounder of IDPA. It is really easy to setup with any target though meant to be shot on a USPSA target. At closer ranges, you should strive for all zone "A" hits. Zone A on a USPSA target is essentially 11in tall and 6inches wide. With a marker you can adapt any target to represent the zone A region. As you increase distance beyond 7 yards the occasional hit outside of this zone is acceptable. Though I personally want perfection, shoot for perfection and achieve excellence along the way.

Though we practice the drill at 7 yards the drill can and most argue should be shot at 3, 5 and 7 yards.

The Bill Drill was intended to teach competitive shooters the appropriate discipline of keeping your front sight on target as you get fast accurate hits. It can also be used as a mechanism to perfect your draw in defensive like situations.

The first requirement is drawing from the holster, but this to can be modified if you do not have a holster or your range does not allow it. Modify the drill by coming from the low ready. Your draw is obviously a huge component of your time. You need a fast draw, or smooth draw as the smoother and more confident you are the quicker you will be but you also need that draw to end in a correct grip. If these things, grip, front sight picture are not correct you will have a difficult time getting this done in 3.5 seconds as the par time.

Try to stay relaxed, easier said than done when that timer goes off personally I revert back to my young Marine days of its "go time" and that is of no help. If your muscles are tight or your body tenses up, you lose the ability to draw quickly and smoothly or run the trigger fast. You may suffer some "trigger freeze" where you try to pull the trigger but then can't do it. Please pay attention to my first run in the video below as I experienced this right on camera, embarrassing.

Most important set a baseline for yourself potentially even without the timer as safety is always the top priority on the range. When you are comfortable coming from your holster and are very well aware at every second where your muzzle is pointed then introduce the timer. If you want to make it even harder get yourself a camera and record yourself to be your toughest critic. They say the camera adds 10 pounds I say the camera adds 2 seconds and a flier every time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top