JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of ours purchased a Walther PPQ a few months back but had never fired it & had practically no firearm experience. She purchased the 9MM for personal protection and the PPQ was recommended to her by her brother-in-law. I'd never fired a PPQ before.

I'm a long time Sig Sauer fan and carried a P226 for the 18 years I was in law enforcement. That said, I really fell in love with the PPQ. It had a fantastically light, crisp, trigger & felt perfect in my hands. We put over 200 flawless rounds through it.

When we first started our friend couldn't even find the target at 15 yards. After she received some instruction & practiced she was shooting a nice 8" group. I told her to make sure the gun was empty & play with it while she was watching TV. She felt pretty confident in her shooting when we were done. It's always satisfying to help a new to shooting person learn.

I'm going to investigate the PPQ some more.

A friend of ours purchased a Walther PPQ a few months back but had never fired it & had practically no firearm experience. She purchased the 9MM for personal protection and the PPQ was recommended to her by her brother-in-law. I'd never fired a PPQ before.

I'm a long time Sig Sauer fan and carried a P226 for the 18 years I was in law enforcement. That said, I really fell in love with the PPQ. It had a fantastically light, crisp, trigger & felt perfect in my hands. We put over 200 flawless rounds through it.

When we first started our friend couldn't even find the target at 15 yards. After she received some instruction & practiced she was shooting a nice 8" group. I told her to make sure the gun was empty & play with it while she was watching TV. She felt pretty confident in her shooting when we were done. It's always satisfying to help a new to shooting person learn.

I'm going to investigate the PPQ some more.
Good story about a Newbie!

Thanks for sharing.

Cate

Welcome to NWFA.
Big eurotrash fan here too... Walther, HK, and SiG. My 5" Q goes to the range every trip, even if it's not a 9mm day. If I'm having a tough go of it, l get out the Q and it makes me feel better by putting holes where l want them to be.
Should be looking at the PDP too.
This is what's going to replace my 4" PPQ TAC. It's got what l want without the unnecessary (for me) threaded barrel. I have yet to see one in the wild.

Don't anybody take offense at my "eurotrash" characterization. It's a term of endearment.

No offense at all, I embrace your term of endearment.
I have tried or bought every major manufacturer of striker/hammer fired pistol (and some minor too)...and had settled on Walther and CZ as my favorites... until 2020,
I met up with a friend of mine at the range who is a competitive shooter...while looking through his box of guns I recognized his Walther, CZ, Glock, then another one I didn't recognize... it was a Canik sfx. He said it was one of his favorite competition guns, and was virtually all stock...I shot it... I was shocked. I had heard of Canik years (10 plus) ago with a new and not very reliable Walther clone called a Shark. I had seen the name quite a bit especially over the last half dozen years as they seemingly came out with a new gun or iteration almost yearly, and the names kept getting longer (TP9, TP9sf, TP9sfl, TP9sfx, TP9sf elite, etc....) so being that they were very reasonably priced, and after some reaearchI bought their newest flagship gun the Elite Combat. Now, Walther still has the edge when it comes to grip ergonomics, but the Elite Combat surpasses even the Q4 and Q5, especially when it comes to out of the box trigger... it has the best out of box trigger of any striker fired polymer I have owned or tried, and by a good margin. And i dont know why this hasn't been more widely communicated. So, in the past year, I've sold off most of my Walther and CZs, and have become a Canik believer, not hard when the Elite Combat outshoots my CZ Shadow 2. It was perfect timing as i could sell those used pistols for more than i bought them for new in the gun panic last fall. Also, since Canik has licensed some technology from Walther (as their slides interchange with Walther grips, with some exceptions) most of my holsters that I had for Walther fit my Caniks. Build quality seems same as Walther as well. Not sure why, but it seems that Canik has innovated past Walther. I was excited when the new Walther PDP full size same out, that it was going to be the answer to Caniks Elite Combat. Unfortunately it wasn't even close. While the grip and trigger is marginally better than the old PPQ, I feel like there is more flip to it than the original PPQ. The PDP caught up with the rest of the Canik lineup in terms of trigger travel,reset, and pounds. But, its the Elite Combat trigger that is significantly better than the Walther, and the rest of Caniks offerings. I've got a few Caniks now, and none have had any issues, with thousands of rounds thru them.

then... one I didn't recognize... it was a Canik sfx.
I have a Canik TP9sfx too... bought (in no small part) due to my infatuation with the Walther P99 and the Turkish newcomer's obvious "similarities".

A pretty great piece, no complaints from me at all. Currently wearing a Vortex Viper RDS it's for sale in the classifieds (with or without red dot). I like the gun, but there's some others I'd like to get my hands on and the Full Sized Polymer 9 niche is the most crowded in my safe.

I have the Walther PPQ M2 Q4 TAC and love the heck out of it, yes, it is threaded and I currently have nothing to put on it and probably never will but that was part of the appeal of it for me, that and the feel of the grip in my hand even with the small backstrap and my large hands it just feels good.

So far, I have only been able to pick up the 15 rd mags as the 17 rd seems to always be on back order so I picked up 4 15s just the same.

I also have the whole family of Glocks in 9mm a CZ P 10F, Beretta 92s, 1911 and a few others all in 9mm but the Walther still has the best feel in the hand to me.

I have shot several CaniK firearms and feel for the money they are hard to beat but I still have to go with the Walther but hay its just a personal choice.

For me ( a certified firearms instructor and range safety officer) who shoots lots of firearms (many of which are my students or patrons at a range), I feel that the Walther PPQ or PDP has the best "ergonomics" of any pistol i have ever held or shot (including the H&K VP9 -owned-, which is extremely close and cutting hairs) and my hands are medium or medium small. However, the Canik Elite Combat has (a better trigger than any stock PPQ/Q4or/Q5 significantly) the best stock trigger and felt recoil of any polymer striker or hammer fired pistol I have ever tried (significantly). The quality of build of my 3 Canik Elite Combats seems identical to the PPQ (which is very good). Never had a malfunction with the 3 Elite Combats. Glocks feel terrible in my hands, and I've owned and shot extensively the first gen CZ p10 c and the P09, and the Shadow 2. My Elite Combats shot better for me than my Shadow 2 (which I have sold because of the Canik Combats).

For me ( a certified firearms instructor and range safety officer) who shoots lots of firearms (many of which are my students or patrons at a range), I feel that the Walther PPQ or PDP has the best "ergonomics" of any pistol i have ever held or shot (including the H&K VP9 -owned-, which is extremely close and cutting hairs) and my hands are medium or medium small. However, the Canik Elite Combat has (a better trigger than any stock PPQ/Q4or/Q5 significantly) the best stock trigger and felt recoil of any polymer striker or hammer fired pistol I have ever tried (significantly). The quality of build of my 3 Canik Elite Combats seems identical to the PPQ (which is very good). Never had a malfunction with the 3 Elite Combats. Glocks feel terrible in my hands, and I've owned and shot extensively the first gen CZ p10 c and the P09, and the Shadow 2. My Elite Combats shot better for me than my Shadow 2 (which I have sold because of the Canik Combats).
I will admit I bought the CZ P10F Threaded because of all the hype on the internet. I did shoot a couple mags through a buddy's before I bought mine but after I got it, it was not what I wanted. Yes, it works great, groups nice and the trigger is better than my Glocks but it does nothing for me. It's just a polymer frame, striker fired gun that holds 21 rounds.

I was excited at first but lost interest fast and for no real reason. Would I trust it, yes would I carry it to battle, yes but it is boring.

Some of the new model Caniks have my interest and like I said I have shot a couple different models that friends have to the tune of several hundred rounds but after the CZ issue mentioned above it did not set my heart on fire and so I have not gotten one yet.

I have sent several folks to the shop to look them over as a good choice and a couple have bought them but I still like the Walther better so far.

But I guess if there was one perfect gun out there then we would all own that gun and the shops would only carry that one gun and we all know that isn't true as there are too many to choose from.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top