JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My P.E. teacher in high school was a drill Sargeant from Louisiana, I can still remember some of the choice words he had, and we had an English teacher who was a former gunnery Sargeant in the Marines. I remember him making kids do wall sits while holding an old, heavy typewriter out with straightened arms as punishment. This was in the late 90s, early 2000s at Corbett high school, in Corbett, Oregon. We had a lot of other veterans as teachers (taught us about operation northwoods and Ollie North's involvement with the CIA and drug smuggling to fund the contras), and I feel if more vets were teachers we'd have a much more disciplined populace, if not more children that knew their place.

Hell, I'm not a veteran, but as a elementary school teacher I have kids do their choice of sit ups, push ups, or jumping jacks as a form of "encouragement to follow instructions better"

I recommend a book called, "Awesome "Sheite" my Drill Sergeant Said".... some funny stuff in there!
My Dad served in Korea.

I spent many a Saturday listening to LPs of the boot camp experience. And some Marine band. I can still hear it;

"I don't want no more of the U S Marines. Gee but I want to go, right back to Quantico, Gee, but I want to go hoooommmmmmeeeee.":s0042:

Is the purpose of government to serve the people?

Or should the government be supreme and the people rightless subjects who cant even vote? Except for those who do special stuff the government dictates. Like serving in the military for two years or ten or fifty. Or some other service involving near total lack of freedom.

I think the latter is the start of a slippery slope to totalitarianism.

I think America has resisted the draft except in times of unavoidable non-optional war because we wouldnt last as a free country otherwise.

Hell, I'm not a veteran, but as a elementary school teacher I have kids do their choice of sit ups, push ups, or jumping jacks as a form of "encouragement to follow instructions better"
Actually, this might be helpful in multiple ways. When I was a kid, it was not easy to sit still all day. In fact, after school each day I desperately needed a couple of hours of hard physical exercise. I think I would have really liked the opportunity to get up at intervals during the day and just do some exercises. Except I'd prefer it to just get called an exercise break rather than a punishment. I wonder how many kids who misbehave or have trouble focusing would be really helped if allowed to take exercise breaks as needed.

Actually, this might be helpful in multiple ways. When I was a kid, it was not easy to sit still all day. In fact, after school each day I desperately needed a couple of hours of hard physical exercise. I think I would have really liked the opportunity to get up at intervals during the day and just do some exercises. Except I'd prefer it to just get called an exercise break rather than a punishment. I wonder how many kids who misbehave or have trouble focusing would be really helped if allowed to take exercise breaks as needed.

I make the kids run laps after both recesses before we go back inside. They get plenty of exercise opportunities. Many of them have to be made to run.

I will say that compared to how old you are, kids today are generally less interested in exercising in general. Why do you think childhood obesity is at an all time high. Many are happy to sit, it's the product of having their entire lives with "phone babysitters" parents who rather than parent just handing the kid phones to play games and stay out of their hair. That and the drifting from a sports centered childhood to a non-sports centered childhood.

Is the purpose of government to serve the people?

Or should the government be supreme and the people rightless subjects who cant even vote? Except for those who do special stuff the government dictates. Like serving in the military for two years or ten or fifty. Or some other service involving near total lack of freedom.

I think the latter is the start of a slippery slope to totalitarianism.

I think America has resisted the draft except in times of unavoidable non-optional war because we wouldnt last as a free country otherwise.
That's part of why I advocated "Basic Only"--a combination of the Swiss Model Militia laying foundations so that people can be quickly trained if the need arises to call 'em up later, and a "shared cultural experience." You do three months or so, getting paid plus all your costs of living taken care of for you, and then go on to whatever path you decide to head down in life as you see fit.

I will tell you this, *I* wouldn't want to serve in a rifle platoon with me... the excessive flatulence alone would be equivalent to popping a series of smoke and gas grenades one after another, and better hope nobody lights a fire. *BOOOM!*

That's part of why I advocated "Basic Only"--a combination of the Swiss Model Militia laying foundations so that people can be quickly trained if the need arises to call 'em up later, and a "shared cultural experience." You do three months or so, getting paid plus all your costs of living taken care of for you, and then go on to whatever path you decide to head down in life as you see fit.

I will tell you this, *I* wouldn't want to serve in a rifle platoon with me... the excessive flatulence alone would be equivalent to popping a series of smoke and gas grenades one after another, and better hope nobody lights a fire. *BOOOM!*
Noted, stay forward of Diamondback or be donning a gas mask... Talk about nerve gas!!!!

Noted, stay forward of Diamondback or be donning a gas mask... Talk about nerve gas!!!!
Dude, I legit cleared a classroom back in high school and in college made an entire office building uninhabitable for three days with my a*s-blasting--my frat brothers used to call it "opening a portal to the Sewers of Hell." (Needless to say, the windows were ALWAYS cracked when we roadtripped so I didn't gas Pestilence and Famine... War was the driver, and since I had both seniority and gas money--not to mention the defensive firepower and the maps--Shotgun was mine.)

Piglet want to stay in the spotlight
Here's a compromise, Piglet
You coat yourself with Preparatio, H and I will watch you shrink to nothingness

More and more I'm convinced that this country needs a mandatory two year military enlistment for 18 year olds.
There has to be a drill instructor somewhere in the military that could knock some common sense into young people like this guy.

No thanks, the last thing I'd want is a worthless turd like Hogg covering by back.

Hum................................
Let me think on it some.............................
Naw, I don't think so Lil Buddy!
Bless Yer Heart!

How bout this; I take away your Microphone, your Cell Phone, and your Hair Jell and you STFU and grow a Pair while joining up with Uncle Sams Club for way ward boys and gurls, specifically the U.S.M.C, See, that's compromise.

Oh GOD No!

Guys like him, wearing the EGA, are what gutted LtCol Germano's WM improvements in 4th RTBN.

I don't think it should be mandatory, but military or civil service to EARN a voting franchise may go a LONG WAY towards not taking your liberty and the benefits of this country for granted, nor be inclined to sheite all over them... because you'd actually have some skin in the game.

IMNSHO.... ;)
One doesn't have skin in the game simply by living under the law for which they vote?

I understand your sentiment but hiding in the shadows of it is a sincere hope that everyone will exit the process thinking about their freedoms as you do now. I can tell you that I've met my fair share of Peace Corp, Teach For America, and Military people and can assure you that perspectives are every bit as varied at the end of those services.

Voting is a power that has had to be wrestled from the grip of tyrants and political elite over time. The riffraff didn't get the vote initially - one had to be a wealthy gentleman. Everything we've done in western culture from that point is to enfranchise more citizens to vote, with less barriers as well.

My guess is that your system would very quickly devolve into one where only the existing political elite can pass, plus maybe one or two plebs to give the system the appearance of fairness. Today, it's any civil service. Tomorrow, it's only the Elite Political Service, whose acceptance criteria would be stricter than an Ivy League. And at the end of the day? All you've done is recreate the system of the past in modern clothes and handed over your rights back to a new aristocracy.

No thanks.

One doesn't have skin in the game simply by living under the law for which they vote?

I understand your sentiment but hiding in the shadows of it is a sincere hope that everyone will exit the process thinking about their freedoms as you do now. I can tell you that I've met my fair share of Peace Corp, Teach For America, and Military people and can assure you that perspectives are every bit as varied at the end of those services.

Voting is a power that has had to be wrestled from the grip of tyrants and political elite over time. The riffraff didn't get the vote initially - one had to be a wealthy gentleman. Everything we've done in western culture from that point is to enfranchise more citizens to vote, with less barriers as well.

My guess is that your system would very quickly devolve into one where only the existing political elite can pass, plus maybe one or two plebs to give the system the appearance of fairness. Today, it's any civil service. Tomorrow, it's only the Elite Political Service, whose acceptance criteria would be stricter than an Ivy League. And at the end of the day? All you've done is recreate the system of the past in modern clothes and handed over your rights back to a new aristocracy.

No thanks.
:s0101:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top