JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at giving her 1st pistol for her 18th birthday.
Hoping to get some suggestions.
She 5'2" and a dancer so very athletic.
She like shooting my 9mm hk usp because the slide is the easiest for her to operate.
So I was thinking about a 9mm bi tone 1911 in a 4 " barrel single stack.
Ladies what do think 1911 or what would your suggestions be.
Also want to stay away from glock and xd and the everyday guns something with a wow factor.

If she needs an easy slide to pull on try to find a Walther CCP. It is supposed to be easier to rack the slide because it uses a gas blowback system thusly can use a weaker spring. My wife is about your daughters size and has a M&P Shield that she has been able to handly very nicely.

Looking at giving her 1st pistol for her 18th birthday.
Hoping to get some suggestions.
She 5'2" and a dancer so very athletic.
She like shooting my 9mm hk usp because the slide is the easiest for her to operate.
So I was thinking about a 9mm bi tone 1911 in a 4 " barrel single stack.
Ladies what do think 1911 or what would your suggestions be.
Also want to stay away from glock and xd and the everyday guns something with a wow factor.
Well you answered your own question didn't you. "She like shooting my 9mm hk usp because the slide is the easiest for her to operate." Just buy her one, problem solved.

I like the 9mm 1911 idea, even the budget models I've shot are easy shooting, accurate pistols. I hadn't seriously considered picking one up, I have enough 9's already, but this thread has me giving some thought toward getting one.

I'm not a 5'2" girl but I do have 3 of them. They like shooting .38 out of my 6" 686 and love shooting .22's out of the Buckmark. None of them ask to shoot any of my 9's or .45's very often.

I have one of these. Very slim. 1911 controls. Recoil very nice for a small 9mm due to mass I assume.
Kind of expensive, but slimmer than the HK and the slide racks with ease.

938-9-BG-AMBI-large.jpg

Whatever you decide go with, Id go with the more rare or special pistols - this is her 18th birthday gun, she will most likely have it forever so it doesn't need to be the best carry gun, just a nice memory of her old man.

Wow factor, high quality, something to keep forever.... and a great shooter.
soft, low jump easy to be accurate.

Beretta Cougar (if you can find one)....(armslist for $575)
or available new...
Stoeger Cougar .... $400 (if you don't care if it's stainless comes in a compact as well).

2012-02-03165822.jpg

Whatever you get, maybe get the slide engraved...
... after she tries it and likes it!

Last Edited:
Don't choose for her. Take her out for a day together and let her choose the one she wants.

Or the original poster of this thread should follow his own advice as in "she likes to shoot my HK cuz racking the slide is easy." Don't buy her the 1911...sounds to me like you like the 1911s. If she can't rack a 1911 like as not she won't carry it when/if she gets her CC permit/license.

If just for a range gun. I would say buy what ever.
If something you want her to conceal , personally I would have her pick something out.
Went through 15 different handguns before I found the one I enjoy caring every day.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was thinking of more of a nice range gun,
I plan on taking her to a gun show putting some of them in her hands.
Now I have some ideas on what to suggest.
Get some feed back from her than surprise her on her birthday .

I have not seen this illustration before. This would help/explain a lot.

Add this to my archives......

Thanks.
It is an eye opener :) I use this for people who need to see things beside feeling them. Couple this with an exemplary experience where I will have the student hold the firearm, place the finger on the trigger and have them focus on center of target. For a right handed shooter I place my left palm on their shoulder blade and my right index finger on top of their right finger. Before starting I tell them all they need to do is focus on the sights and not the trigger. I tell them as needed, I am now pulling the trigger, keep your focus on the target. Gun goes bang and if they were sighted on the center of the target there will be a bullet hole. Repeat this three times then ask them if they felt a difference followed by it's their turn. Sometimes I will do this w/o first fitting them to a firearm as they just spent $$$'s and get upset if I tell them the handgun simply does not fit them followed by fitting them to a handgun. It's all a journey which baby steps are best.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top