JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd also make sure the house had a 24/7 monitored security system that she can arm all the exterior entry sensors while she's at home.

Something like Simplisafe, or something.
Yup that is on the list for sure.

We plan on fencing in the front and back yard so she can get a rescue dog for a companion.

Thanks everyone for your input. Feel a lot better that we have options to do this legally

This is a great little safe that can be bolted down. Fingerprint access is reliable and quick. Has enough room for two pistols and multiple spare mags.

I'm a little leery on that one. They don't say how thick the steel is, and the biometric locks can be finicky. I used to have a link to a small button keypad safe with I think it was 12 gauge steel. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm a little leery on that one. They don't say how thick the steel is, and the biometric locks can be finicky. I used to have a link to a small button keypad safe with I think it was 12 gauge steel. I'll see if I can find it.
The door is 3/16" steel plate. The sides are 1/8". It has a 500 dpi scanner for the fingerprint reader. Way different than the standard Chinese sheet metal box.

I feel your pain... being the father of a young woman that you can't be there to watch over and protect anymore is very stressful!
My 19 year old daughter recently moved in with my elderly parents to help them out as well as take a step towards her independence... they live in a big house, and she can come and go as she pleases. She is a full time student, works weekends, and is probably more responsible than me in most respects...

My parents(and now my daughter) live in a very rural area, on a private road with only a handful of houses. The main floor bathroom has ventilation issues, so the only way too keep the steam out is to crack open the window which is the non transparent privacy type... but the bottom 1/3 will slide open so you can see out, let in fresh air, and in this case let out the steam.
Well when she was getting out of the shower she noticed a light coming in from the gap in the window, and somebody taking pictures or video taping her as she was toweling off.... the window is probably 7' off the ground, and he couldn't just peek in... so the clever perv was holding his phone up to get a clear view through the small opening.
My daughter is a beautiful young woman, but not someone you would want to mess with. She collects knives, is very skilled at flipping a ballisong/butterfly...she was obviously raised around Guns... She had a printout of the Cooper's 4 on her bedroom wall her entire life, and was the captain of her colorguard team in high school So she can handle a rifle.
Problem is my my mother has dementia and everything from the garbage cans to the refrigerator has to be "child proofed" and of course all the guns are kept in the safe, which is on the other side of the 4000 sq ft house...
So she wrapped the towel around herself grabbed her samurai sword from her adjacent bedroom and ran out the door after this pervert to try to recover her dignity from his phone... he had either ran off, or found a good hiding place in the nearby trees, and she reluctantly gave up.
She of course called the police which were no help, sent out a message on the neighborhood FB page, and actually went door to door with a couple friends trying to find this guy.... she has a pretty good idea who it was, but obviously can't prove it. She didn't see his face, but clearly saw his cell phone...

I want her to have something better than a chinesium samurai sword on hand in case this pervert, or anyone else decides to come back with more nefarious motives. My first thought was a 12 gauge stashed next to her bed, but if mom somehow got past the lock on the bedroom door and found it, that would be bad. I'm thinking a pistol with a quick access safe might be better...She is 19 and as her father I can give her any gun I want.

I just wish she could carry something a little more potent than a pocket knife when she goes out jogging etc.

I feel your pain... being the father of a young woman that you can't be there to watch over and protect anymore is very stressful!
My 19 year old daughter recently moved in with my elderly parents to help them out as well as take a step towards her independence... they live in a big house, and she can come and go as she pleases. She is a full time student, works weekends, and is probably more responsible than me in most respects...

My parents(and now my daughter) live in a very rural area, on a private road with only a handful of houses. The main floor bathroom has ventilation issues, so the only way too keep the steam out is to crack open the window which is the non transparent privacy type... but the bottom 1/3 will slide open so you can see out, let in fresh air, and in this case let out the steam.
Well when she was getting out of the shower she noticed a light coming in from the gap in the window, and somebody taking pictures or video taping her as she was toweling off.... the window is probably 7' off the ground, and he couldn't just peek in... so the clever perv was holding his phone up to get a clear view through the small opening.
My daughter is a beautiful young woman, but not someone you would want to mess with. She collects knives, is very skilled at flipping a ballisong/butterfly...she was obviously raised around Guns... She had a printout of the Cooper's 4 on her bedroom wall her entire life, and was the captain of her colorguard team in high school So she can handle a rifle.
Problem is my my mother has dementia and everything from the garbage cans to the refrigerator has to be "child proofed" and of course all the guns are kept in the safe, which is on the other side of the 4000 sq ft house...
So she wrapped the towel around herself grabbed her samurai sword from her adjacent bedroom and ran out the door after this pervert to try to recover her dignity from his phone... he had either ran off, or found a good hiding place in the nearby trees, and she reluctantly gave up.
She of course called the police which were no help, sent out a message on the neighborhood FB page, and actually went door to door with a couple friends trying to find this guy.... she has a pretty good idea who it was, but obviously can't prove it. She didn't see his face, but clearly saw his cell phone...

I want her to have something better than a chinesium samurai sword on hand in case this pervert, or anyone else decides to come back with more nefarious motives. My first thought was a 12 gauge stashed next to her bed, but if mom somehow got past the lock on the bedroom door and found it, that would be bad. I'm thinking a pistol with a quick access safe might be better...She is 19 and as her father I can give her any gun I want.

I just wish she could carry something a little more potent than a pocket knife when she goes out jogging etc.
I am pretty sure our daughters would get along just fine....

It is always tough when our kids move out on their own. Especially, for some of us, our daughters. My oldest daughter is now 21+. She moved out 2+ years ago. It was her own need for independence that got her out the door early, she is always welcome home if she needs it. She now lives with her boyfriend, they just celebrated 3 years together. Admittedly I'm not fond of the arrangement but they are adults, allowed to make their own decisions. Anyways......
While I was worried about her safety moving out originally I was also comforted by the tools she took with her. Not the weapons per se....but her mind and her will. She has always had a hunter's mindset, if you will. Always alert, looking around, even stalking at a young age. I realize her ability to stay out of danger and the willingness to be dangerous herself if necessary are some her greatest assets if the need arises. It also doesn't hurt that she has always been into weapons, both firearms and knives, her entire life. So much so that her collection of both is way more advanced than mine was at her age. It helps that she works in our LGS here in town and is always seeking training and other classes too. Heck, she's even an Advanced Glock Armorer already, and I never even owned a Glock until last year.

I guess my point is that it's not just about the weapon in her hands that will keep her safe..
Remind them to stay alert.

Good to know. I see a keypad. If you can enter a combination manually that's good. Even the best fingerprint scanners fail.
Yes, there's a keypad combination and a physical key. The keyhole is hidden under the nameplate. You need an allen head wrench to remove the nameplate.

Look at Fort Knox boxes. They are very "overbuilt". Can not be opened with a clothespin or whatnot like the many cheap Chinese ones. Made from thick steel. Had a durable and easy to open mechanical (no batteries) Simplex lock that is quick access. Can be bolted to something.

1611694273549.jpeg
They also make a long box for if you think a shotgun is a better choice.
1611694344242.jpeg

My 18 year old is moving into our 2nd home. It's close to us so we can help and keep an eye on the place. She is responsible IMO, goes to school and has a job. She's gone to the range with me multiple times and her and i shot USPSA together last year.
I want to figure out what she can legally own and keep at the house for protection. Is a long gun/shotgun her only / best option? TIA
A full time baby sitter is the first requirement.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top