JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 18 year old is moving into our 2nd home. It's close to us so we can help and keep an eye on the place. She is responsible IMO, goes to school and has a job. She's gone to the range with me multiple times and her and i shot USPSA together last year.
I want to figure out what she can legally own and keep at the house for protection. Is a long gun/shotgun her only / best option? TIA

She can own a handgun at 18 just not able to purchase. Definitely ok to put one at her residence and open carry I believe is ok. 21 and over for ccw I think

Federal laws limits handguns to those over 21, and as of last year Washington State law now limits semi-auto rifles to those over 21.

So manually operated long gun is her only option.
Wrong. You can only purchase at 21. You can possess at 18. Aka a gifted pistol or an %80 build

2018, Washington voters approved a voter initiative that, among other things, increased the minimum age to purchase handguns and semiautomatic assault rifles to 21, and now generally prohibits anyone from transferring a semiautomatic rifle to anyone under 21.1

Washington law provides that, unless certain exceptions apply,2 a person between the ages of 18 and 21 may possess a handgun only:3

In the person's "place of abode;"
At the person's fixed place of business; or
On real property under his or her control.
Similarly, a person who is between the ages of 18 and 21 can possess a semiautomatic assault rifle only:

In the person's home
At the person's fixed place of business
On real property under the person's control
Outside these areas, provided that the gun is unloaded and is either in secure storage or secured with a trigger lock for the specific purpose of:
moving to a new home
traveling between the person's home and real property under his or her control
selling or transferring the firearm4
In addition, an applicant for a concealed pistol license must be 21 years of age or older.5

Good pistol and a small quick access safe that isn't made in China secured to something.

My 18 year old is moving into our 2nd home. It's close to us so we can help and keep an eye on the place. She is responsible IMO, goes to school and has a job. She's gone to the range with me multiple times and her and i shot USPSA together last year.
I want to figure out what she can legally own and keep at the house for protection. Is a long gun/shotgun her only / best option? TIA
I have 3 grown daughters. I'd vote for a large trained protective dog that barks at strangers, an 18" barreled shotgun with weapon light & birdshot, a bedside handgun with weapon light, and last but not least, a small but handy spray that'll stop anyone in their tracks.
That's just the protective dad speaking from experience here. Most likely your best option might be a loyal 4 legged friend & mace within reach at all times. How's your daughter feeling about it? Give her options & let her make the choice.

If I may ask,
Which neighborhood is she in. You can go on Nextdoor.com and get a lot of good neighborhood info with daily (hourly sometimes) updates.
Some of the neighborhoods are very proactive whe it comes to keeping an eye on things.
Best,
Gary

I would be real careful for someone so young to have firearms in the home, not just her and her maturity but her friends, maybe a house party,
Just throwing it out there. Make sure she has a safe and if having people over lock it up.

This is a great little safe that can be bolted down. Fingerprint access is reliable and quick. Has enough room for two pistols and multiple spare mags.

This is a great little safe that can be bolted down. Fingerprint access is reliable and quick. Has enough room for two pistols and multiple spare mags.

I was thinking you getting this safe from Costco. I think she can keep a shotgun in it

5D9258E9-395F-4F30-9D05-84FE7C11980D.jpeg

I would be real careful for someone so young to have firearms in the home, not just her and her maturity but her friends, maybe a house party,
Just throwing it out there. Make sure she has a safe and if having people over lock it up.
Yeah I hear you. Definitely if I end up doing something she will be part of the decision making process and I'll make sure she is reminded to treat this setup as an adult. Thank you for your advice.

You have quite a few options. Has your daughter received any formal training? Not only physical operation of the firearm, but the mental preparation of shoot/don't shoot decisions, not showing her guns to friends like party favors, never sharing lockbox combinations, all the things that should not be left to assumption.
I think she's responsible enough. She's taken beginner pistol class.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top