Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dating my Colt

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by numbnutz, Apr 25, 2010.

1. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

I recently acquired a Colt lawman III in a matte nickel finish. I am trying to figure out a production date and am having no luck with it, I've checked on proofhouse.com but am unsure if I'm reading numbers correctly or if its just not there. Any help on where else to look info that you guys may have would be great. :cool: The serial number is 20069 U

2. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Gen Info: Lawman III was produced from '69-'83.

3. gogoDawgs

gogoDawgs Federal Way, WA Active Member

When I read your headline I thought that you were 'Dating' your Colt like you would date your girlfriend! Haha.....

Perhaps a new piece of legislation is needed so that in is no longer One Man, One Woman who can marry.... but One Man, One Gun....:D

4. numbnutz

That is about where my findings of info have stopped but thank you motoman98:thumbup:

5. numbnutz

:bluelaugh::bluelaugh: Hey theres nothing wrong with wanting to take a nice wheel gun to dinner once in awhile

6. ak56

ak56 Carnation, Wa Active Member

From the FAQ on Colt's website:

7. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

According to my book "Colt an American Legend" by R.L. Wilson, your lawman mkIII was made in either 1981 or 1982-probably 1982 because your serial # is closer for that year.
    Hope that helps.

8. numbnutz

Yes it does, that is pretty much what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

9. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

I dated my colt detective spl. once....and I found it the nicest little nickle plated S&W chiefs special you ever saw...Now they both sleep together in my gun safe...although the colt runs around a little...

10. numbnutz

Very nice! The colts bags are already packed and will be road tripping daily with me as soon as I recieve my liscense in the mail:cool: