JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got home at 6:30 (a 5 hr trip!). Was really good, what we did there. Yeah the rain was a drag, but geez, the difference we made!

I was able to download a couple pics, but the majority will have to wait till after a shower, beer, sleep and a few home chores. Then I'll post up a story about it.

For now, almost 30 people showed up! Some logistics, and a blown tire on one of the trailers, messed a couple things up, but those Darrington people just roll with the flow! It was so nice to meet the folks who came. I'm doing that again sometime!

View attachment 899515 View attachment 899516
Indeed Bill it was definitely a good time even despite the rain. Lotsa curveballs today but all in all everyone did a stellar job, thanks Pat for having us up to your world.
Caveman met some great new people and enjoyed seeing old friends.
You guys and girls worked your butts off today, I applaud each and every one of you!!!

I was frothing at the mouth wanting to fish that beautiful little stream where are you guys camped!!! NEXT TIME!!!

:s0071::s0071::s0071:

A big thank you to everyone.
Friday three of us camped on the Stilly river friday night. Caveman Jim & wife stayed at the motel in Darrington. Friday afternoon we loaded up the two dump trailers so we could run that trash and have empty trailers for Saturday morning.
20210604_203254.jpg

The weather definitely was not on our side today. The pit cleaning crew got rained on all day.
Scuffy called the transfer station in Rockport on Thursday to see if we could dump the trash there and they said YES.
on the way to Rockport the trailer I was hauling blew a tire. I had a Jack but no fourway tire iron.
We stopped at the pit swapped out the spare and that only had 20 pounds of air. We pumped to up to 35 pounds and took of for the transfer station.
We got to the Rockport transfer station and they have a high curb where you unload in your roll off containers. Our trailers were to low to dump there so we have to literally drive over fifty miles to the other transfer station.

The tipping fee is $101 a ton and we paid just over $1,000.
20210605_141226.jpg
20210605_141223.jpg

Between the flat tire and having to haul the trash to another transfer station by the time we got back to the pit they wrapped it up.
We should of been back in less than an hour, but that didn't happen.
I had the coolers in the back of my truck.
Caveman Jim & wife went to Darrington and bought stuff to cook up for the crew.
Thank you Jim.
Tomorrow I will be meeting up with Scuffy at 7:30am and we will head over to the big pit and load up that trash and haul it to the transfer station in Arlington.

About thirty people came there for the clean up.
It was a huge success
A big THANK YOU to all who helped out up at the pit and to the people who bought brass and made donations for the clean up. 20210603_130451.jpg

We got to the Rockport transfer station and they have a high curb where you unload in your roll off containers. Our trailers were to low to dump there so we have to literally drive over fifty miles to the other transfer station.

View attachment 899566
View attachment 899567
Wow. That's a huge cost! I had no idea it would run that much! No, they had not raised that much money! Of the $500+ that Pat raised, a couple hundred went to food. The rest was to be for the dump fees. But with a blown tire, and the cost of fuel to run 2 trailers all that distance, it took a big chunk of what he had raised.

Here's a few pics of that trailer haul. This shows only one trailer but imagine that time two! And this was only from the small pit!

Huge thanks to Don (Scruffy), who brought his tractor and trailers to do this tremendously good deed!

6-5-21 Cleanup Small Pit 1.jpg 6-5-21 Cleanup Small Pit 2.jpg 6-5-21 Cleanup Small Pit 3.jpg

Wow. That's a huge cost! I had no idea it would run that much! No, they had not raised that much money! Of the $500+ that Pat raised, a couple hundred went to food. The rest was to be for the dump fees. But with a blown tire, and the cost of fuel to run 2 trailers all that distance, it took a big chunk of what he had raised.

Here's a few pics of that trailer haul. This shows only one trailer but imagine that time two! And this was only from the small pit!

Huge thanks to Don (Scruffy), who brought his tractor and trailers to do this tremendously good deed!

View attachment 899579 View attachment 899582 View attachment 899583
So now we know for next time.
And there will be a next time.
SAD TO SAY THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SLOBS OUT THERE THAT WILL JUST DRAG JUNK OUT .
to the woods to shoot.
I found a freaking I phone that was shot up today.
I thought about taking it to a cellphone dealer to see if they would take it for exchange.
LOL

A big thank you to everyone.
Friday three of us camped on the Stilly river friday night. Caveman Jim & wife stayed at the motel in Darrington. Friday afternoon we loaded up the two dump trailers so we could run that trash and have empty trailers for Saturday morning.
View attachment 899569

The weather definitely was not on our side today. The pit cleaning crew got rained on all day.
Scuffy called the transfer station in Rockport on Thursday to see if we could dump the trash there and they said YES.
on the way to Rockport the trailer I was hauling blew a tire. I had a Jack but no fourway tire iron.
We stopped at the pit swapped out the spare and that only had 20 pounds of air. We pumped to up to 35 pounds and took of for the transfer station.

View attachment 899566
View attachment 899567

Between the flat tire and having to haul the trash to another transfer station by the time we got back to the pit they wrapped it up.
We should of been back in less than an hour, but that didn't happen.
I had the coolers in the back of my truck.
Caveman Jim & wife went to Darrington and bought stuff to cook up for the crew.
Thank you Jim.
Tomorrow I will be meeting up with Scuffy at 7:30am and we will head over to the big pit and load up that trash and haul it to the transfer station in Arlington.

About thirty people came there for the clean up.
It was a huge success
A big THANK YOU to all who helped out up at the pit and to the people who bought brass and made donations for the clean up. View attachment 899568
We all knew you had as tough a day as we did at the pit, we did what we needed to do to make things happen, that's what we do.
A big thanks to you for stepping up to the plate getting involved with taking charge of your area shooting pits. As I've said before, getting it cleaned up is the easy part the hard part is keeping it clean but it can be done with talking to people that you meet there. :s0005:

We all knew you had as tough a day as we did at the pit, we did what we needed to do to make things happen, that's what we do.
A big thanks to you for stepping up to the plate getting involved with taking charge of your area shooting pits. As I've said before, getting it cleaned up is the easy part the hard part is keeping it clean but it can be done with talking to people that you meet there. :s0005:
By the way @HighlandLofts .
I got the signs that Cogs gave you to post up at the pits.

It seems that both the small pit and the large pit had not been touched in years. The steel casings and shotgun hulls on the ground were huge! The amount of trash off to the sides and behind the berms was amazing and looked like they've been there for years!

Yeah, this was a huge gift to the shooting community, and to the forest. Good on you, @HighlandLofts ! Well done!

It seems that both the small pit and the large pit had not been touched in years. The steel casings and shotgun hulls on the ground were huge! The amount of trash off to the sides and behind the berms was amazing and looked like they've been there for years!

Yeah, this was a huge gift to the shooting community, and to the forest. Good on you, @HighlandLofts ! Well done!
Yep I went running threw the jungle behind that first berm and got three bags of cans plastic bottles and other junk .
Crazy.

Indeed, it is amazing that places go years without being cleaned but not one piece of brass can be found.
I think I mentioned another pit out by my place that I just found a couple of months ago but I don't know if I want to take this one on not knowing who shoots there. We'll have to see at a later date.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top