JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been wondering for some time, just how accurate are Dragunovs? I've heard and read statements that ranged from, couldn't hit a barn from inside, to, blow a gnat off of his azz at 1,100 meters. So experts, whats the answer?

From what I understand from people who have shot them they are not like a PSL. PSLs have 2 plus MOA accuracy but the Dragunov SVD has a completely different gas system that is much finer than the PSL which is an overgrown AK.
Dragunovs are supposedly on par with a match M1A. So probably something like 1MOA accuracy. They have a very thin barrel.
Then again...
I have heard people claim that Arsenal AKs can be 1MOA but mine sure as hell isn't. More like 5MOA LOL.

My AR is roughly 2 MOA rifle at 100yds. That is good enough for me.

A TRUE Dragnov is a fairly accurate rifle especially using the correct ammo.

If it is a Dragnov "style" rifle, PSL, Romak 3, ect using "ball" ammo 2MOA is about right.

Like others said.. A true SVD is a bit more accurate than a PSL - both can vary within the 1-3 MOA range. They are both designed for the same purpose - they are not sniper rifles, they are marksman rifles. Most eastern bloc militaries called for a DMR in each squad more or less. No need to take out a pinpoint target at 900 yards. They just needed to reach out and touch targets at a greater range than the riflemen could handle - especially since magnified optics on standard issue rifles was pretty rare up until the late days of the Soviet Union. You didn't start to see ordinary troops with magnified sights until late in the Afghan war.

Here is a class that is taught by a former Spetznaz SVD marksman. You might find it interesting and it will shine some light on how these guys operated and what their expectations were for themselves and their equipment: AAR - Dragunov long range marksmanship class - Behind The Lines Winter Course - Jan 29-30 - AR15.COM

Notice that most taking part in the class have either an SVD or a PSL..

Like others said.. A true SVD is a bit more accurate than a PSL - both can vary within the 1-3 MOA range. They are both designed for the same purpose - they are not sniper rifles, they are marksman rifles. Most eastern bloc militaries called for a DMR in each squad more or less. No need to take out a pinpoint target at 900 yards. They just needed to reach out and touch targets at a greater range than the riflemen could handle - especially since magnified optics on standard issue rifles was pretty rare up until the late days of the Soviet Union. You didn't start to see ordinary troops with magnified sights until late in the Afghan war.

Here is a class that is taught by a former Spetznaz SVD marksman. You might find it interesting and it will shine some light on how these guys operated and what their expectations were for themselves and their equipment: AAR - Dragunov long range marksmanship class - Behind The Lines Winter Course - Jan 29-30 - AR15.COM

Notice that most taking part in the class have either an SVD or a PSL..

Ahhh, the placement in the squad is significant! Given that it is not a sniper rifle it's 1-2 moa would be more than adequate for its purpose. Thanks guys!

Real SVD made in Russian cost about 4K$-5K$ chinese variant about 3K$ accuracy of this guns sub-moa or better. From cheap knock offs you can expect from 1-5 moa. PSL not real pastern SVD rifle. PSL build on RPK platform.

I have a dragunov and PSL. the dragunov is more accurate about 1 MOA and less prone to groups opening up with heat. The PSL is less accurate 1 MOA if I shoot real real real slow, but mostly 2 MOA and if the barrel heats up, groups go open up alot and shift.

but prefer the shoot the PSL, has less recoil.

I agree the dragunov is very similar to a accurate M1A. trigger feels the same and is about as accurate. has more recoil though

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top