JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
216M188.JPG

Antique Danish Model 1867/91 Rolling Block Rifle #61256 - Antique No FFL

Could this shoot modern ammunition or is 11.7x51r a black powder round? Does anyone even make a 11.7x51r anymore?

This 11.7X51R is a black powder only. No smoke less powder. Well you could work up a load with smoke less and then kablammoooo the metal lets go. I've seen someone do it.

Reloading using Bertam Brass is the ONLY way to shoot these old guns. If us poor folks over in yUK can do it, so can you, where things are around half the price that WE pay.

I have to admit to and confess to a certain amount of annoyhoodship when the cost of shooting in the USA is talked about as 'prohibitive'.

I've just bought -

- ONE can of RL22 - $62

- 100 Sierra 7mm FMJs - $60

We pay more than twice as much for our 'cooking' .22 as you do and that's for stuff that's MADE here.

American-made guns?

The new Ruger PR is something that you can find for under a thousand bucks in most dealers - we pay over $2000 here.

So stump or give up.

But please, less of the grumbling, eh?

tac

Reloading using Bertam Brass is the ONLY way to shoot these old guns. If us poor folks over in yUK can do it, so can you, where things are around half the price that WE pay.

I have to admit to and confess to a certain amount of annoyhoodship when the cost of shooting in the USA is talked about as 'prohibitive'.

I've just bought -

- ONE can of RL22 - $62

- 100 Sierra 7mm FMJs - $60

We pay more than twice as much for our 'cooking' .22 as you do and that's for stuff that's MADE here.

American-made guns?

The new Ruger PR is something that you can find for under a thousand bucks in most dealers - we pay over $2000 here.

So stump or give up.

But please, less of the grumbling, eh?

tac
:eek::oops::s0001:

Bleh, yeah, i believed you, walked into a shotgun place when i lived there, i know it was kind of exclusive and they were doubles, but the prices were nut balls! :(

11.7x51r Danish is just as expensive a .43 Spanish, another similar chambering that hundreds of thousands of Rolling Block Rifles were produced in. Every country that purchased rolling block rifles had a slightly different cartridge. There are 4 or 5 different versions of the .43 produced. Too bad that none of them came be reamed out to 45\70. But if you buy the brass and are careful, anneal the cases and shoot BP the cases should last for a very long time.

View attachment 332881

Antique Danish Model 1867/91 Rolling Block Rifle #61256 - Antique No FFL

Could this shoot modern ammunition or is 11.7x51r a black powder round? Does anyone even make a 11.7x51r anymore?
You can use 45-70 brass/dies but you need to expand bass .015", this can be accomplished by inserting a.458 expander plug inside lubed inside case down to about 3/8" from base and check fit in chamber, go deeper to expand to chamber. Then trim/shorten brass 1/16". Use as cast pure lead 45-70 bullets (405 grain) as large as possible .460"-.462" and load 22 grains of IMR SR4759 or 23 grains of AA5744 with std. Rifle primer.

After firing you must neck size only, do not FL size with 45-70 size die.

Pretty simple to load and extremely accurate.

You can rol your own from 45-70 brass, shorten to 51mm, wrap3/8" tape around base, expand neck to .460, buy lee mold for 405 grain 45-70 bullet and glue two layers of tinfoil with lee liquid alox to one side of mold and cast soft lead, lube with lee alox.
Buy a set of 45-70 dies and remove1.25" from bottom of dies, (sizer/seater).

Load 20 grains of AA5744 smokeless, seat bullet long. Fireform brass.

These guns are extremely accurate, barrel is slow twist and will not stabilize a bullet heavier thn 430 grains.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top