JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
the original 8x58R cartridge, fire-formed from .45-90 brass, shooting a 196gr flat-base FMJ over 46gr of TR140...

1573050057544.png

1573050292959.png 1573051509456.png
1573051546132.png

What, no USA patch??

Neat old rifle. I'm curious how the magazine mechanism works

Nossir, I'm not American.

The mechanism is very simple, as you can see from the way that Dave just dumps the cartridges into the magazine 'box'. The cover has a spring-loaded elevator built into it, and when you close it up, the elevator automatically centres itself under a cartridge and lifts it into the bolt ways for it to pick up and put into the chamber.

Take a look at the end sequence when he opens the cover, and you'll see the elevator on its articulated connecting piece.

Last Edited:
You may have noticed a couple of what look like dings in the barrel - BUT - they aren't in the barrel!..

The outside is actually a barrel jacket, like the German G88 Commission Rifle; part of the reason/thinking at the time for doing this (as I understand it) was that the actual barrel could 'free float' within the jacket.

I hunted with a guy that used a Krag for elk.
It's an interesting historical rifle.
If my history is correct, the first thing I think of was how the Krag was out-classed by the 7x57 Mauser.
The good thing about the Krag, is that it led to the Springfield.

Well, to tell the truth, it got ousted by the mostly-Mauser Springfield in almost every element. The same thing happened with that other dead-end in US small arms aquisition, the Navy Lee.

All was not lost, though, as another American firearms designer came up with the best battle rifle of them all, until the arrival of the M1 Garand - I refer, of course, to the LEE-Enfield.

It is, remarkably, STILL in service today. After 124 years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top