Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Daniel Defense Torture Test

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by wichaka, Jun 3, 2011.

1. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

2. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

Yeah its a real testament to how much abuse a Micro can take...

Larry's "Holy F***" in the background while the rifle is falling from the chopper cracks me up.

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Yeah sure about the Micro, but did anyone notice that the AR handled a surprisingly incredible amount of abuse too?

Keith (almost as well as an AK would have :) )

4. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

Oh certainly, the DDM4 is indeed quite durable as well. Larry commented on a thread over on M4C, and some of the tests were performed multiple times in order to get all the shots.

I'm going to resist the urge to respond at length to the AK comment... suffice it to say I don't see how an AK could have fared better ;)

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

So - you know a thing or two about AR's. What do you think of these? Do the tests really prove anything or are these things that any AR could survive (by virtue of the design, not the maker)?

6. wichaka

I've personally seen many an AR take quite a bit of abuse...including handling over charged reloads, run over, had one dept. AR fall from a helicopter I was in and it was quite a bit over 100 feet. Have seen them run so many rounds that the bolt was pushing the dirt/grime out with every round fired. So overall I don't think the DD M4 is anymore special than any other well made AR.

I still don't think anyone should go cheap though. If it's made right, it'll run...its a machine, it doesn't have a choice. And they'll take a lot of abuse, they were engineered to do so.

Most video's like the one I posted, mostly impress the uninformed. Its a marketing ploy, nothing more.

wolfwistle and (deleted member) like this.
  7. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

I have a custom DD rifle, and love it. This is just bragging rights for me to point out to my buddies.

8. jmac3434

jmac3434 SE portland Member

does anyone know what kind of flash supressor that in on the rifle? Never seen one that has those little doors that open on the first shot.

9. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

I thought that was tape?

10. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive torture test compared to others I've seen. I'm even more surprised the aimpoint stayed functioning and held zero as long as it did.
    Standard A2 flash hider wrapped with duct tape

If they wanted to get even more convincing they should be running some "lesser" brand ARs though the test with it although it wouldn't be great for sales if the others made it through as well.

11. jmac3434

whats the purpose of the tape?

12. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Cool video, but nothing amazing. After all, military firearms are designed to hold up in harsh environments. I will say that a ak would hold up better because it's made out of steel and not aluminum. Not bashing the ar ( I have many and actually perfer the ar platform) but it's still a cool video. Thanks for posting wichaka.

13. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Keep crap out of the barrel. That tends to blow things up.

14. jmac3434

so seal it all up then dump dirt on it hahaha seems like that was a worthless test if they took measures to keep dirt out of the rifle?

15. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Standard practice. You've never gone hunting? A little tape on the barrel and a closed bolt does wonders.

16. wichaka

Closing up the gun and burying it in dirt, does nothing but get the gun dirty.

Like I said, to the uninformed...it looks like a shiny penny.