JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyway, THIS is MY choice for a dangerous game shoot in Africa - a couple of our fellow club members in the .50cal shooting Association UK have them.

Space age cool, but where's the Romanticism? A safari hat just wouldn't go right with that rifle

Anyway, THIS is MY choice for a dangerous game shoot in Africa - a couple of our fellow club members in the .50cal shooting Association UK have them.

I would probably chuck that beast by the third hill climb on a stalk

There is but one world
You need but one caliber
Holland's .375

I have a CZ 550 Safari in .375 H&H
It was a death ray in South Africa with the exception of a blue wildebeest that I had to hit 3 times. Everything else, including a 900+ lb kudu were one shot, one kill.
I am never selling it or my Steyr Scout. They have way too many hunting memories attached to them.
Are we allowed to bring the meat back now? I set out to plan a safari trip, then learned we cannot bring the meat back stateside. Was not happy!

I had a .458 for a few weeks. It didn't recoil enough. Too used to shooting steel buttplate military rifles I suppose. Possible I like to feel recoil. Reminds you you're alive...

I expect I will build a 9.3x62 at some point on a Mauser action.

I may build something obscenely if at some point like a .505 Gibbs, but that's way in the future...

You probably put "loudeners" on your rifles instead of suppressors, huh? :s0140:

USDA is afraid of introducing African/ tropical diseases
As a hunter there, you'll eat the best cuts of meat and the rest is sold to the locals -It's known as Bush meat

You said bush.....and meat.....

57429A6C-F578-4175-869D-2A4F9209C9FF.jpeg

The 375 H&H and even the 375 Ruger are really versatile cartridges. They aren't so large they cant fit in normal magazines. Same with the 458 Win Mag, but some of the versatility is lost with the heavier bullet weights.

It seems that the need for big bores is limited. The rifles are also more classically designed for quick handling and wouldn't appeal to what you see a lot of these days.

The majority of the big animal hunting I would do would be easily taken with a 338 win mag, another very versatile cartridge. The Ruger African in 338 would be a cool "safari" style rifle.
The .458 WM was an attempt to take the power of the Express cartridges, which (as a whole) were the most powerful family of hunting cartridges at that time, and fit it into a standard length bolt action rifle.
500 gr. @ 2200 MV pretty much fits that bill.
The .375 Ruger meets the same objective, but its comparitive is the other cartridge you mentioned, the .375 H&H.
Nice thing about all of these cartridges is that you can use them ANYWHERE in the world, including parts of Africa that actually have firearm restrictions, due to the nature of the game one is likely to run across.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a .375 Ruger in some nice bolt action, replete with a full-length stock.

Dean

Last Edited:
The .458 WM was an attempt to take the power of the Express cartridges, which (as a whole) were the most powerful family of hunting cartridges at that time, and fit it into a standard length bolt action rifle.
500 gr. @ 2200 MV pretty much fits that bill.
The .375 Ruger meets the same objective, but its comparitive is the other cartridge you mentioned, the .375 H&H.
Nice thing about all of these cartridges is that you can use them ANYWHERE in the world, including parts of Africa that actually have firearm restrictions, due to the nature of the game one is likely to run across.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a .375 Ruger is some nice bolt action, replete with a full-length stock.

Dean

The 338-375 Ruger really intrigues me. Though the H&H case requires a true magnum length action, I still really have a thing for the 375 H&H and more so the 300 H&H. A smoother feeding cartridge there never was.

Nothing at all wrong with the Holland & Holland .375, and blown out to Weatherby spec. it's a serious thumper, punching well above it's weight class, and your shoulder!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads