JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 375 h&h is exactly what I had in mind, ideally in the familiar Remington 700 lineup. I've seen a couple of those Ruger no.1s in pictures and they're spiffy looking. I would almost think these monsters would appeal to the same crowd the 45-70 does (which is another caliber I've been eyeballing, thanks to my entry to handloading)
No offense, but the remington 700 is the last thing I'd want, if looking for a good dangerous game rifle, that I was actually going to use in Africa or Alaska...

Ruger, Winchester, CZ, Mauser or any other CRF is what I would look for in a suitable caliber! Nothing wrong with the .338 for ALL North American Predators, and that keeps costs down and reliability high! If you really gotta have a big bore, then the choices start getting thin!
1568527188182.png

The 375 h&h is exactly what I had in mind, ideally in the familiar Remington 700 lineup. I've seen a couple of those Ruger no.1s in pictures and they're spiffy looking. I would almost think these monsters would appeal to the same crowd the 45-70 does (which is another caliber I've been eyeballing, thanks to my entry to handloading)
I have a CZ 550 Safari in .375 H&H
It was a death ray in South Africa with the exception of a blue wildebeest that I had to hit 3 times. Everything else, including a 900+ lb kudu were one shot, one kill.
I am never selling it or my Steyr Scout. They have way too many hunting memories attached to them.

No offense, but the remington 700 is the last thing I'd want, if looking for a good dangerous game rifle, that I was actually going to use in Africa or Alaska...

I agree. The 700 is attractive because its standard long action will accommodate the 375 H&H without modification. I'd just prefer that any rifle that I would defend myself with to be CRF.

This would be my pick. Winchester Model 70 Safari. It has open sights, a full magnum action, dual recoil lugs at the action and under the rear sight. I'd put some Talley steel QD's and a 1.5-5x scope and a decent sling.

View attachment 617242
You know the OP may be right here. There just aren't as many good choices these days. Even 10 years ago, you had many more choices out there for dangerous game rifles. No_Regerts, I love the model 70, but some of these new ones made in Portugal have had some problems. Really rough copper collecting barrels and poor bedding and an unnecessarily redesigned box trigger. In all honesty, there are better used rifles out there. These being the CZ 550, Winchester classic (pre 2000), Ruger African, and then we can get to the really old (but good) custom sporterized mauser derivitave, such as the m1917 (A Square for example), 1903, and factory mausers like the charles daly, Zastava, Interarms mkX, Whitworth and many others. I know some guys only like to buy brand new, but my preference would be to look at the used gun market. There's always something out there that fits the bill nicely...

You know the OP may be right here. There just aren't as many good choices these days. Even 10 years ago, you had many more choices out there for dangerous game rifles. No_Regerts, I love the model 70, but some of these new ones made in Portugal have had some problems. Really rough copper collecting barrels and poor bedding and an unnecessarily redesigned box trigger. In all honesty, there are better used rifles out there. These being the CZ 550, Winchester classic (pre 2000), Ruger African, and then we can get to the really old (but good) custom sporterized mauser derivitave, such as the m1917 (A Square for example), 1903, and factory mausers like the charles daly, Zastava, Interarms mkX, Whitworth and many others. I know some guys only like to buy brand new, but my preference would be to look at the used gun market. There's always something out there that fits the bill nicely...

That's strange, I haven't had a bad FNchester yet. All have been great shooters. I have 2 270s, 2 30-06s, 2 7mm Rem Mags, a 300 Win Mag, a 308, and a 7x57. I haven't found a factory mass-produced rifle with really well done bedding, so I count on redoing it anyway. Even so, these haven't been too bad. I agree the trigger was an unnecessary change, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't feel decent.

I will say this, the last hunting rifle I'd ever part with is my "beater" Ruger 77 Hawkeye all-weather in 30-06. It has a VXIII 2.5-8x36 on it. The damn thing is ugly and a bit heavy. But, its bomb proof and is 2 MOA all-day at 400 yards, which would kill every elk Ive ever seen. I wouldn't have any qualms using it on DH if chambered appropriately.

Last Edited:
Many years ago Navy Arms imported a Siamese Mauser that had been converted to .45-70 ...that would be a fun choice for Dangerous Game.
Andy
Gibbs also was "making" a 45-70 SMLE that had a stainless type of finish called the Quest (early 90's). I tried to buy one, but the dealer folded. At least I got my deposit back.

The rainy, gloomy weather as of late really gets one thinking about good old wood and steel again. Would sure be a ton of fun to have one of these. I've seen two on shelves, neither one new. I think both were Winchesters but I can't swear to it. Afraid one would come home with me if I held it.

The rainy, gloomy weather as of late really gets one thinking about good old wood and steel again. Would sure be a ton of fun to have one of these. I've seen two on shelves, neither one new. I think both were Winchesters but I can't swear to it. Afraid one would come home with me if I held it.

There is a Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62 at the Olympia Cabelas that doesn't have the dumb muzzle brake. I wants it.

Don't know if I'll ever make it if north America, never really thought about Alaska. Can't say how serious a gun this would be. Probably just for fun, but you never know

Right, I should have been more clear about that? That's why I mentioned both in the same post. Clearly I meant "go to Africa" by saying get off north America, not "go to Alaska"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top