JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen some great deals on really nice vintage bolt action hunting rifles in recent years too.

I think it has to do with less people hunting, and the fact that everyone is into ARs and such nowadays. I've met a lot of people, especially younger guys, who look down on classic hunting rifles with disdain. They see them as obsolete junk, no respect. That, and the availability of really cheap modern bolt actions.

If I didn't have too many already, and had any interest in hunting, I'd be buying them up.

The funny part about the people you mention is they don't hardly do anything. The majority can't afford to shoot much and often just go out and make noise when they do get out. Man, that guy on youtube sure shoots fast! Yeah, from 5 to 10 yards away.

Sure, make fun of my bolt gun. Its not "modular" and loads from the top, but EVERY shot I've made is deliberate and I learned from it. I've actually carried it for miles and I've actually killed something with it. Nothing I say about the rifle is a guess or something I read, I did it.

The funny part about the people you mention is they don't hardly do anything. The majority can't afford to shoot much and often just go out and make noise when they do get out. Man, that guy on youtube sure shoots fast! Yeah, from 5 to 10 yards away.

Sure, make fun of my bolt gun. Its not "modular" and loads from the top, but EVERY shot I've made is deliberate and I learned from it. I've actually carried it for miles and I've actually killed something with it. Nothing I say about the rifle is a guess or something I read, I did it.
You truly must be my brother from a different mother

I agree. Good to see people who use their equipment and don't cherrypick 3-shot coincidences!

AMEN buddy!!!!! I am going to start a new thread here shortly or later this evening on why it is crucial to glass bed a rifle to achieve the utmost consistent accuracy. I'll use my last 4 or 5 rifle purchases as specimens and targets to show proof. You and some of the other guys may like the read. Oh, by the way heres the recoil lug from one of the most recent rifles I bought that was supposedly a "1/2 moa" rifle... Ha ha..
FCOfeBo.jpg
It will be interesting buddy.. Stay tuned...

AMEN buddy!!!!! I am going to start a new thread here shortly or later this evening on why it is crucial to glass bed a rifle to achieve the utmost consistent accuracy. I'll use my last 4 or 5 rifle purchases as specimens and targets to show proof. You and some of the other guys may like the read. Oh, by the way heres the recoil lug from one of the most recent rifles I bought that was supposedly a "1/2 moa" rifle... Ha ha..
View attachment 603917
It will be interesting buddy.. Stay tuned...

Please tell me that wasn't out of a CTR......

Oh, you guys remember this old thing don't you? I just got through cutting it (the stock) down and installing the red pachmayr:

$150.00 stock and $30.00 recoil pad....:
UnHkG3S.jpg

Oh, I also wiped the stock down with some old english.....;)

Now on to glass bedding it. Im hoping she will be a great shooter like my other pre 64 30-06 fwt:
UQ2DJaR.jpg

Last Edited:
It very well could have been. Its a Tikka lug from the looks. Most American actions have a washer style lug or the lug is machined out if the receiver that interfaces with an inlet in the stock. Tikkas use a lug that is glued into the stock that interfaces with the action.

Bingo. My favorite action style is the good ol model 70. They have a pretty robust recoil lug. Good for bedding, as it locks in good and tight: Like German tight, only better :D
yIRwvzx.jpg

You bed them right and even the heavy kicking magnums shoot well :eek:
lAQNcQj.jpg

CZ's also have a good lug system, but can be slightly tricky to work with, if it's the dual lug like what's on the bigger calibers. My 9.3x62mm was such a beast:
hzq5syf.jpg

She worked plenty good for killing such beasts as the infamous cow elk:
WKchg0o.jpg

Please tell me that wasn't out of a CTR......

It was my friend. That's what happens to them eventually. Guys wonder why they aren't shooting as good as when they were new and that's generally the reason why. That one had some slop, axial end play was .030" back and forth. Don't worry, she's back to shooting like a dream now:

It was my friend. That's what happens to them eventually. Guys wonder why they aren't shooting as good as when they were new and that's generally the reason why. That one had some slop, axial end play was .030" back and forth. Don't worry, she's back to shooting like a dream now:

116 rounds down the tube. Last outing it was grouping about 1 1/4 at 300 yards. I promise I wasn't trying to pass something off on you.

This was at 300:

A808EE6C-B48A-4D0C-B676-07C7C768615D.jpeg

I grouped 1/2 MOA or better multiple times. No lie. I thought Tikka was better than that.....
I believe you. You are a straight up shooter. One thing I like about you. They loosen up over time. You can see the wear line on that recoil lug. It's snug as a bug in a rug now buddy...:cool:

I did the same thing to my superlite as well. Went from shooting ho hum groups to shooting sub moa:
TInieXz.jpg
soCT57P.jpg
Tikka's are good out of the box, but they can be made better...

My sako A7 long range is a sweet shooter now too, after bedding:
U9LK7DO.jpg
^^^^ Factory ammo^^^^^:mad: I'll start working on a good load for the old girl soon...

It's weird that those would have an actual attached recoil lug vs. the detachable lug on the Tikka. They are supposedly made in the same factory in Finland....

You guys are killing me just show me where you're finding those pre 64 Winchester's for cheep and I'll bring my wallet. Or I'll take any model 99, JM stamped marlins, older Remingtons and about any pre WWII rifles or shotguns really. You guys go ahead and retire I'll take care of them for you.

Oh, you guys remember this old thing don't you? I just got through cutting it down and installing the red pachmayr:

$150.00 stock and $30.00 recoil pad....:
View attachment 603949

Oh, I also wiped the stock down with some old english.....;)

Now on to glass bedding it. She will be a great shooter like my other pre 64 30-06 fwt:
View attachment 603950
Dang....my dream gun. I have a '52 standard rifle. Wouldnt by any chance wanna take a new Westerner with sights in 7mm RM for that fwt, wouldja?

116 rounds down the tube. Last outing it was grouping about 1 1/4 at 300 yards. I promise I wasn't trying to pass something off on you.

This was at 300:

View attachment 603971

That's impressive. That kind of shooting takes a good rifle, steady hand, sharp eyes, and lots of practice.

The best I've ever been able to do was 1" @200 yards, on a very good day. Nowadays I can shoot 3/4moa consistently, but I just don't get anywhere near the practice I should.

I always have to laugh when I see armchair/internet "snipers" who talk about their rifle that shoots "1/4 moa, as long as I do my part". I think the majority of people who make that kind of claim have no idea what it really takes to be able to actually shoot with that level of precision. I get the distinct impression that you guys do know. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top