JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys are killing me just show me where you're finding those pre 64 Winchester's for cheep and I'll bring my wallet. Or I'll take any model 99, JM stamped marlins, older Remingtons and about any pre WWII rifles or shotguns really. You guys go ahead and retire I'll take care of them for you.

I know where a scoped 270w std wt is for $750.00. I don't like 270's or I would have bought it....

Love the Weatherby-esque inlay on the Winnie!

Yeah, that stock really isn't that bad. I'm thinking about installing a red pachmayr on it and listing it on ebay. Still not totally sure about that though, as it's a nice light stock. I re-contoured the schnabel forend tip though. That thing was hideous..o_O

After WW2, Weatherby was huge.

When I see a stock like that (Several friends have Springfields that are similar California style), it reminds me of a time when the biggest influence in rifles meant white line spacers, vent recoil pads, monte carlo stocks and glossy finishes.

If I owned a Pre 64. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Americana Love it!

After WW2, Weatherby was huge.

When I see a stock like that (Several friends have Springfields that are similar California style), it reminds me of a time when the biggest influence in rifles meant white line spacers, vent recoil pads, monte carlo stocks and glossy finishes.

If I owned a Pre 64. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Americana Love it!

Good post man. That stock does tell a little history lesson there. One guy from a different site told me I should have left the schnabel forend, but I just didn't like it. I can deal with the grip cap extension and inlays though. The hard as a rock pad needs to go. I'll put a red decelerator on it like what I put on the other stock that it's in now... Funny thing is, that weatherbyisk stock fits me very well. :eek: . I may hang on to it :D

That stock looks very familiar. I had one just like it some years back. I never had a rifle it fit, just the stock. It took me a while to figure out what it fit. I refinished it for practice and sold it at a gun show 6 or 7 years ago. I'm not saying that's the one I had, but it's a sure enough twin.

Bingo. My favorite action style is the good ol model 70. They have a pretty robust recoil lug. Good for bedding, as it locks in good and tight: Like German tight, only better :D
View attachment 603956

You bed them right and even the heavy kicking magnums shoot well :eek:
View attachment 603957

CZ's also have a good lug system, but can be slightly tricky to work with, if it's the dual lug like what's on the bigger calibers. My 9.3x62mm was such a beast:
View attachment 603958

She worked plenty good for killing such beasts as the infamous cow elk:
View attachment 603959
Your stock bedding job looks excellent. The barrel channel is not floated???:rolleyes: What type of bedding compound do you use? Devcon?

Thanks ron. Yes, you are correct on the devcon. Actually that McMillan was on my 375H&H pre 64 model 70 first, but the bedding in the picture was for the featherweight. I had to fill in the void from the 375 barrel, so it looked good without a huge gap. I shot my featherweight for a little bit with it fl bedded. I like to experiment and was curious to see if it shot better that way or totally freefloated. Eventually i freefloated it, because it shot slightly more consistent that way. When i freefloat my model 70 rifles, they tend to produce better accuracy when theres no bedding at all under the whole barrel, including the chamber area. My custom 7 pound 338wm in the brown poundR stock is scary accurate, but its also pillar bedded. Id post more pics, but im on my cell right now.

Speaking of cheap rifles and people not buying blued and wood stock rifles.

I was at nw armory 2 weeks ago and a guy with a Winchester 70 featherweight in 308 and a vx3 3-9 was trying to sell it to them. They wouldn't even give him an offer cause it wouldn't sell for them and would just sit.

I almost made an offer right there but then the sales guy said what price he should sell it at and it was high so I said pass.

But to think of a day a clean 308 model 70 with good optics just gets turned away blew me away. Sad times. I've sold all my ARs to mostly fund a new bolt gun.

Well it happened again guys. I was at a small town gun shop yesterday near Reno and ran across another pre 64. I asked the shop owner if he had any pre 64's out of the 300 rifles he had and he said, "yes, i have 1, and ill make you a really good deal on it". I said, id like to look at it when he gets to it in the safe and he said sure. I asked what it was chambered in and he says 300 something.i asked if it was a 300 H&H. He said no. I then asked if its a 300 weatherby and he said that sounds right. I said thats a shame because that greatly depreciates the value. So he takes it out of the safe and hands it to me. I noticed the recoil pad had been added, but he was honest and said, "the stock has been cut down and the pad put on". I said yeah, its a shame when this happens because that turns a $400 stock into a $150.00 stock. He was in agreement. He asked, "do you see very many of these and how much do they generally sell for?". I said it used to be a popular conversion actually. Ive seen them sell for around $750. He said, "ill let you have it for $499.." I said SOLD, ILL TAKE IT!!!!!!! Ill post some pics when i can.

Last Edited:
Ok, heres a little more info on that rechambered 300H&H. It was made in '59 (serial #444xxx). I took it apart today and snapped some pics. I cleaned the barreled action and took the scope base and rings off. I'll end up using something better/stronger and better looking. Anyway, here the rifle is after pulling the stock off:
9a9jgiq.jpg
67HIcwQ.jpg
vh1bvVQ.jpg
da4qFgO.jpg

I'm going to put a red pachmayr on it today. I had to take the old pachmayr whiteline off of it. It was hard as a rock!!!!! The new pachmayr will be a lot more cushion too. Something this big wby is going to need. Anyway, just wanted to share my find. It's not entirely collectible, but it was still a cool find and at $499.00, I am not complaining... I'll post some more pics later after this rifle is back together. I also plan on glass bedding it. I'll keep you guys posted..

Alright, put it back together and installed that red pachmayr recoil pad on this old girl. I think it looks a lot better and it will really help to absorb that recoil. I'm pretty happy with my $499.99 deal on this one!
E0Img3s.jpg
r2cNfNN.jpg
J6Tllbl.jpg
I only had to put the recoil pad on the jig once for the grind. That's the way I wish it worked all the time!!

Take a look at this bottom metal. The metal and bluing on this whole rifle is pretty dang good:
Olv12bd.jpg
HyI9T8S.jpg

The stock has honest wear, but nothing too bad... I also just bought some action screws to replace the buggered front action screw. All in all, I'm pretty dang happy with this one. I'll be glass bedding this one and the featherweight this weekend....

Today, I'll be glass bedding my 2 newest pre 64 model 70's... Going to head out to the shop right now and get on it. Should have some good results from the range next weekend. Hopefully...

Ok, you guys remember that weatherby style pre 64 30-06 featherweight. It's done. Threw a little tru oil on it to help protect the wood, freefloated the barrel and sealed the barrel channel. Took it out and shot it for the first time after that work was done to it and the best 5 shot group was with my el-cheapo 180gr. winchester power point load. Here's the rifle now. Hope you enjoy the after picture (My $475.00 featherweight):
ZvgrHZa.jpg
1KymgUk.jpg

No Regerts, it's not for sale yet buddy..... If I ever decide I want to let it go, you'll be the first to know...:cool:

Last Edited:
They are still low. I bought this one last Sunday. I went there to buy a pistol and ended up walking out with a pistol and rifle...

Ruger m77 mkII stainless boat paddle for $500.00:
Pi6OK3q.jpg

The dang thing is in like new condition. I don't think it's seen much of any kind of use. The bore is even spotless...very sharp rifling. After I sell the Leupold that is on it, I'll have $200.00 into the rifle. Not bad, since there is a pretty big following for this model of rifle. They are an easy sell on GB and the like.. That won't happen for a while though, as I need to fine tune the accuracy on this one. I've already worked the trigger down to a beautiful and safe 2.5 pound pull and polished out the bolt and receiver raceways. The thing feels more like a good model 70 now. Great little rifle. Now on to accurizing it in my spare time..
I shot this group with it to test it out last monday:
qvVzY3b.jpg

I like it when they shoot like this to begin with. That means I have some room to improve on. It can only get better from this point on...:cool:

They are still low. I bought this one last Sunday. I went there to buy a pistol and ended up walking out with a pistol and rifle...

Ruger m77 mkII stainless boat paddle for $500.00:
View attachment 626057

The dang thing is in like new condition. I don't think it's seen much of any kind of use. The bore is even spotless...very sharp rifling. After I sell the Leupold that is on it, I'll have $200.00 into the rifle. Not bad, since there is a pretty big following for this model of rifle. They are an easy sell on GB and the like.. That won't happen for a while though, as I need to fine tune the accuracy on this one. I've already worked the trigger down to a beautiful and safe 2.5 pound pull and polished out the bolt and receiver raceways. The thing feels more like a good model 70 now. Great little rifle. Now on to accurizing it in my spare time..
I shot this group with it to test it out last monday:
View attachment 626058

I like it when they shoot like this to begin with. That means I have some room to improve on. It can only get better from this point on...:cool:
That's what my groupings look like normally lol

That's what my groupings look like normally lol
I've had a lot of these Ruger m77's and have fine tuned them all. One of my best shooting rugers was a stainless 338wm. It would consistently shoot 5 shots into less than 1". I used to have a picture of a group I shot with that rifle that was sub 1/2". It was my go to elk rifle for years. I love the M77's, especially the stainless rifles. I think some of my favorites were the laminated stock models, but they were heavy in comparison to the boat paddle rifles... I have a 300wm boat paddle that shoots 1" groups religiously. They aren't Tikka's in terms of excellent accuracy, but they can hold their own when proper attention is paid to them...

Bought another one that was way below book value. I'm a sucker for a good older wingmaster:

View attachment 620896
View attachment 620897
View attachment 620898
Made in 1979 and hasn't been shot too much at all.....:s0133:

I like that a lot. Good buy!

Edit: I like the boat paddle Ruger's too. Back in the day, I had one in 22-250. Sold it in the early '00s for a ridiculously low price to a buddy because I am sure I needed something else shiny. I haven't sold many guns in my life and even fewer that I really miss but that is one I would like to have back.

Last Edited:
Hey guys, I just wanted to share some recent experiences I've had when visiting some local gunshops. It seems the prices are at or near rock bottom on some of the rifles I really like and use. I'll give some examples of some rifles I've seen in the last 2 weeks.

1. Stainless Tikka CTR 308w with 20" barrel: $599.99 (like new condition)
2. Winchester model 70 XTR Featherweight 243 winchester. Made in 1981 (first year XTR fwt): $399.99
3. Old model Savage Predator 22-250: $289.00
4. Tikka superlite 30-06: $500.00
5. Pre 64 model 70 30-06 featherweight (made in '58): $475.00!!!

Well, needless to say I bought a couple of these rifles and will probably end up buying the pre 64 tomorrow. Just can't pass up that smoking hot deal on a classic rifle. The only reason I did not buy it today was because I ended up buying a Beretta 303 Trap with 32" ported barrel and adjustable comb with nice wood and in great condition for $360.00..... Have you guys noticed the same thing with prices lately?
That pre-64 is a steal (depending of course on condition). Wish I was there!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top