Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dang cylinder pin won't stay put.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by bmw2, Jul 26, 2011.

1. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

My new to me, Super Blackhawks cylinder pin was backing out under recoil so I replaced it with a Wolff extra power spring. All is good with my cowboy loads but it still backs out with full power stuff. I've got another Wolff spring I could throw in but I'm wondering if there's another issue? Base pin under size? The gun was polished by a previous owner, could it have been polished enough to make it under sized? Base pins with a set screw are a lot of money so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks.

2. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

So is this a sight pin or cylinder pin? if it a sight pin center punch the side of the pin near the end and hamer it back in.

3. bmw2

It's the cylinder pin.

4. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

OK I went back and looked again. the cylinder pin is held in by a latch pin,spring, and nut. so you might be looking at a stronger sping. Its kind of hard to buff the hole bigger unless someone went in there with a dowl and emery cloth. got any calipers measure both and see what the difference is.

5. bmw2

I've already replaced the spring with a stronger one. I don't know if my caliper would be accurate enough, think I need a micrometer?

6. blindfox

blindfox tacoma, wa New Member

i want to say try a dab of loctite on the nut threads, but i think the heat from the cylinder might be an issue with that idea

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

there is ,or was,a company called Belt Mountain that specialized in oversized pins for Rugers.Might google 'em and see if they are still around and active.

8. bmw2

Actually, I just ordered one from midway yesterday. It was way cheaper than I thought, only $23. I got the basic knurled model with a set screw.