JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Helping my dad do research for a gun and came across this new one on the DW website:

Curious if anyone knows anything more about it...

Is it a design rip off the STI 2011 or something pretty new?
What separates it from the CZ75 or Shadow?

Are there any points of note about it, like better accuracy or reliability due to the new design?

In any case, I think it looks slick and can't wait to try one out. What do you think?

Good questions! Just note, DW and CZ make FINE and RELIABLE guns, this alone is worth something. The Shadow is highly revered in the competition world and is the race gun born from the CZ 75. As a DW 1911 owner of both 9mm and 45 ACP, I will tell you their tolerances are VERY tight, especially with my 9mm's. A slight bulge in a case from re-loads and the gun would not go in to battery. TIGHT chambers. Maybe, this DWX is similar. If anything is a copy from STI, consider that a good thing, they too, make sweet race guns.

I would be interested to know what you find out about this "mash-up."

Good questions! Just note, DW and CZ make FINE and RELIABLE guns, this alone is worth something. The Shadow is highly revered in the competition world and is the race gun born from the CZ 75. As a DW 1911 owner of both 9mm and 45 ACP, I will tell you their tolerances are VERY tight, especially with my 9mm's. A slight bulge in a case from re-loads and the gun would not go in to battery. TIGHT chambers. Maybe, this DWX is similar. If anything is a copy from STI, consider that a good thing, they too, make sweet race guns.

I would be interested to know what you find out about this "mash-up."
I have the Guardian in 9mm and absolutely love it. Eats every ammo I've sent through it so far with the exception of Hornady Critical Defense Lights. With those, I can consistently get stovepipes; so much so it's like a party trick.

But, I don't really care because I'm not running light ammo anyways.

Was excited to see a double stack come into the product offering. :)

Tagged for interest!

I would not call it a design rip off of the STI 2011. It does not have a two part frame which is a huge plus in my book. And the most notable difference between it and the Shadows or 75's is the 1911 style trigger. That flat trigger is just dreamy! :s0116:

Bore axis looks like it might be a bit higher though, but probably not enough to make much of a difference. Would love to shoot one. :)

$1800 MSRP. Woof, that's squarely out of my price range. I'll be interested in hearing what people who can afford one have to say

"It started as an experiment — a grand melding of Dan Wesson and CZ pistols. Borrowing the crisp single action fire control group of a DW 1911 and combining it with the ergonomics and capacity of a CZ, the resulting pistol emerged as something great."

1911 slide on CZ75 body? Looks like a step in the wrong direction. The CZ75 has those nice inverted slide rails that marginally reduce bore axis, why give that up?

Unless the geometry of the 1911 slide/hammer was needed to put the "crisp single action fire control group of a DW 1911" in there, it doesn't make sense to me.

This seems like it's going to appeal to people looking for novelty rather than functionality. A common thread considering major mechanical innovation is highly unlikely and the only innovation we'll probably see is material improvements allowing smaller, lighter, etc etc. :s0092:

I predict a miss here. It'll go out of production due to flagging sales and the DW 1911s and CZ75s will keep selling at their already good rates.

Interesting, sort of like a SA Bren Ten maybe? Or a 1911-ized CZ75? If it's up to typical DW build quality, that's all good. In that configuration- full size steel construction, full length dust cover, 9mm- it ought to be very light on recoil/muzzle rise, ie fast.. If trim in the hand, it could be a real winner for a match/fun gun. Some have found the DA reach of the CZ-types too long and/or cumbersome (DA/SA transition). Also, original CZ75s weren't 'slippery thumb' friendly if you actually wanted to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber and use a DA first shot. So going to a straight SA/1911 configuration makes sense and is more size efficient (having DA that few will use probably isn't ideal). Tho I admit I'm not fully up to speed on all the current variants.

In any event, hopefully one of you nice folks will drop the coin on one and invite the rest of us out for a few range trips.:D

Boss

:eek::eek:PS - Heads up--there's ALOT of gun legislation in play in Olympia right now...firearms REGISTRATION (yes, registration), mag restrictions, CPL training requirements, etc. Multiple resources for you comment on legislation. Make your voices heard!!! More = better.

I saw this break cover awhile ago.
Gotta say that I was disappointed.
I love my DW 1911"s. Fantastic guns at a relatively great price make them a exceptional value.
BUT, I was really hoping that they would come out with W.C. EDC X9 killer.

It would also be nice to see DW bring COONAN back to life.

Have one ordered... not holding breath on arrival date. I've heard parts are sourced from a Unicorn factory in Never Never land. Might be a bit before they show up in any real numbers.