JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the slide stop notch? Is it at the front or the back? There are solutions to this problem. Logman in the 1911 forum discussed altering the slide stop catch so it only makes contact deeper in the notch, so simple that it bothered me that I hadn't thought of it. (Even though I'm simple minded :eek:)
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=245725&highlight=peening

One related matter, on 1911's that have strong mag springs so that you can't drop the slide on an empty mag because of the pressure (I'm not advocating dropping a slide on an empty chamber) there is a hint that the slide stop may have excessive upward pressure into the notch. That extra pressure does the peening more than a mag with a lighter spring will. My DW's are both that way, and even with the new Checkmate mags I bought.

Mine did that too. I hammered the tab out a bit on the follower. Took it apart and held the tab flat on a vise jaw and hammered a drive punch against the flat close to the edge, it moved the steel out enough to catch the slide stop. I did that to both mags.

Mine is peening on the back edge of the slide stop notch. Looking at it closely, the slide stop latch & notch are not entirely fitted together properly. Rather than fool around with this myself (which I'm not comfortable doing & don't think I should have to on a gun this expensive) I may ship it back to DW for correction. They can also address the peening (cosmetic issues) on the slide.

I've read that people have good luck w/ the Tripp magazines solving solving the failure to lock back - so, I've got one of those on order & two of their conversion kits (for the DW magazines). We'll see if the does anything to improve things.

I've read that people have good luck w/ the Tripp magazines solving solving the failure to lock back - so, I've got one of those on order & two of their conversion kits (for the DW magazines). We'll see if the does anything to improve things.

Here is an article I found about the problem, if you read the whole thing it is pretty revealing about magazines and slide stop notch peening and other 1911 problems.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

Mine is peening on the back edge of the slide stop notch. Looking at it closely, the slide stop latch & notch are not entirely fitted together properly. Rather than fool around with this myself (which I'm not comfortable doing & don't think I should have to on a gun this expensive) I may ship it back to DW for correction. They can also address the peening (cosmetic issues) on the slide.

The slide stop and the notch on my CBOB are fitted properly and I can't see any peening. Never had the slide fail to lock back. I use the two DW mags that came with the gun and have 2 Shooting Stars that I use also. I carry the gun with the shooting Stars because I don't like the bump pads. I've also used a different Shooting Star and it works fine too. All of them 8 rounders.

Here is an article I found about the problem, if you read the whole thing it is pretty revealing about magazines and slide stop notch peening and other 1911 problems.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

Very interesting - thanks for posting this. As I mentioned, I've only used factory (DW) magazines so far & wonder if that is contributing to my problem. I'll have to see if the new Tripp mags make any improvement.

The slide stop and the notch on my CBOB are fitted properly and I can't see any peening. Never had the slide fail to lock back. I use the two DW mags that came with the gun and have 2 Shooting Stars that I use also.

Which seems to be the typical for most of these guns - and which is why I'm frustrated that mine isn't performing the same.

Very interesting - thanks for posting this. As I mentioned, I've only used factory (DW) magazines so far & wonder if that is contributing to my problem. I'll have to see if the new Tripp mags make any improvement.

I have several mags, but primarily us Chip McCormick mags and have had no such problems.

Dan Wesson is discontinuing the CBOB... sorta.

The Commander Bobtail(CBOB) that has been in production for the past few years, will be left out of the DW lineup for 2010, however the Valor will be expanded to an entire series, of which several different configurations will be available... from memory, atleast 2 of them are bobtailed.

In addition Dan Wesson is going to be bringing back an old model. The "Guardian" model commander will have an alloy bobtailed frame, a new durable black finish that DW is coming out with, night sights, and will be available in 9mm only, but with a .45 version coming out in 2011.

Several other changes to their guns, including forged frames for all models, not just the Valor as was previous. Upgraded fire contol sets, and a few other changes. This is all from memory, so don't cry if I left something out.

Here's a link to the Dan Wesson page on the 1911 forum, its a pretty long thread, but it has all of the info about the 2010 models of Dan Wesson. "Keith DW" heads up the Dan Wesson operations.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=250850

EDIT-
I forgot to mention the biggest point of my post... Dan Wesson will still make a small run or standard CBOB and PM 7 models that will be sent to California dealers, to satisfy that state's regulations.

Don't ask me why, seems kinda redundant. I think most dealers who got their hands on a CBOB in California, would most likely throw it on gun broker to get top dollar out of it, ensuring that most of those guns don't end up in thate state. On the other hand, with some of the new offerings from DW, such as a Commander length Bobbed Valor (drool!)..... people might just forget all about that old CBOB!

This is all from memory, so don't cry if I left something out.

Here's a link to the Dan Wesson page on the 1911 forum, its a pretty long thread, but it has all of the info about the 2010 models of Dan Wesson. "Keith DW" heads up the Dan Wesson operations.

I know you said dont cry, but did you leave out the link regarding this story?:)

The Commander Bobtail(CBOB) that has been in production for the past few years, will be left out of the DW lineup for 2010, however the Valor will be expanded to an entire series, of which several different configurations will be available... from memory, atleast 2 of them are bobtailed.

In addition Dan Wesson is going to be bringing back an old model. The "Guardian" model commander will have an alloy bobtailed frame, a new durable black finish that DW is coming out with, night sights, and will be available in 9mm only, but with a .45 version coming out in 2011.

Several other changes to their guns, including forged frames for all models, not just the Valor as was previous. Upgraded fire contol sets, and a few other changes. This is all from memory, so don't cry if I left something out.

OK. That kind of makes sense. I just couldn't see them doing away with such a popular model. However, without an all stainless commander available, My CBOB won't be for sale any time soon.

It will be interesting to see the new models. I wish they would come out with a model that would compete with the Springfield EMP in 9mm for size. Sign me up for day one if they do.

...However, without an all stainless commander available, My CBOB won't be for sale any time soon.

Actually, the Valor will be available in a Commander length, and I believe it will be both black and stainless... read through that thread, its in there somewhere.

And I know what ya mean about DW making a compact 1911. I would really like an alloy frame 3'' in .45... but the only way it is available is with "Kimber" stamped on the slide!:s0114:

If DW ever put out a micro 1911, you can be sure that I would beat you in line to that #1 spot:s0155:

Sad to hear about the CBOB, great model. Hopefully with them expanding the Valor line, it doesn't lose it's quality, while also hopefully keeping prior prices the same or close to it.

Sad to hear about the CBOB, great model. Hopefully with them expanding the Valor line, it doesn't lose it's quality, while also hopefully keeping prior prices the same or close to it.

The Valor line is supposedly higher quality or at least it's higher priced. Expect the Valor Bob to be $300-400 higher than the CBOB is.

For that extra money you get a forged frame instead of the current cast frame, and a black finish. It's not worth the extra money to me, and at that point I would just step up to a Les Baer or comparable gun.

I own a Kimber that I paid more for than the new price they will be asking. I like the Kimber, but considering that the DW has no MIM I'd rather have a DW, so it's not a deal breaker for me.
My DW's are more like works of functional art to me than just a gun. The forged frames add value, to my way of thinking.

I imagine myself in a room surrounded by handguns, beautiful Thompson subguns and all kinds of gorgeous guns of all kinds, Early Lugers, Broomhandles, rare guns, machine guns, all pristine. My DW's are like that to me, and would have a prominent place on my dream wall.:eek:

P.S. no one gets into that room but me! the walls are two feet thick and the door is a bank vault door,,,,,,,hey, I've actually seen that room! Charlton Heston's gun room!
<broken link removed>

PICs finally. Finally had time to get pics of new CCO and CBOB. Had to drive around half of Oregon to find a CCO, and finally ordered a CBOB from a smith in Nevada. 1st is with factory grips, pretty nice, especially the CCO; but the second is with outstanding wood from Sarge43.
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews