JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For all you DIY'ers out there I have a question. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB and they have laser etched serial numbers on the frame which on mine at least is very rough feeling to the point where if you rub a rag over it you end up with a bunch of fibers from the rag snagged on the edges of the etching. I had to remove a small scratch once before and used a very fine sandpaper (I don't remember the actual grit) and slowly sanded with the grain and only in one direction and it came out great. I was thinking of using this same method to knocked down the surface of the serial number but I thought I'd see if anyone had any better ideas.

Thanks!

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I have, or have had, several Dan Wesson 1911s and never noticed a rough serial number, so yours in unique. CBOBs are stainless with bead blasted rounds and brushed flats, so you should be able to easily smooth out the roughness of the serial number with sandpaper. As you say, just go in one direction with the brushed finish. I done it for minor scratches. Too fine a paper (1000 or 1500) will probably polish too much not matching the original brushed finish, so you might have to drop back to 600grit or 400grit or even 320grit to match the factory finish. If you polish a shiny spot it's easy to fix with a slightly rougher grit of paper.

I recently got an older Sig P228 with newly etched laser engraving of the importer on the slide, and it was rough like you describe. I quickly polished it out with progressively finer aluminum oxide paper; but in my case I was having it duracoated, so wasn't so worried about matching the factory finish. Best of luck, should be easy.

I haven't quite gotten (is gotten even a real word?) around to this yet but I think tomorrow I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty sure this method should take care of it and I thank you for taking the time to reply!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top