JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had the opportunity to shoot this and am interested in acquiring it. I don't know anything about these firearms; can anyone provide some personal experience and estimated value ?
~ Whitney

IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG

Is this a fixed barrel or removable?
I was told the original owner had it "head spaced". I am presuming based on that comment the barrel is removable or was removed for work. The cylinder has less than 0.005" gap at the barrel and it locks up tight.

Is there a way to definitively tell if the barrel is is removable?

~Whitney

I was told the original owner had it "head spaced". I am presuming based on that comment the barrel is removable or was removed for work. The cylinder has less than 0.005" gap at the barrel and it locks up tight.

Is there a way to definitively tell if the barrel is is removable?

~Whitney

Since you're unfamiliar with the Dan Wesson system of removable bbls.....just take it down to your friendly REAL gun store. If not.....find someone old....like me. Yup, I used to own one.

Or

Take a look at the muzzle end of the bbl. The "wrench" fits there......in order to loosen or tighten the nut that will secure the bbl in it's shroud.

BTW....

Head space in a revolver.......well, rimmed cartridges headspaces on the rim of the cartridge.*

The barrel cylinder gap.....is what you can "play with" when speaking of the Dan Wesson system of removable barrels. Too much is not good....you'll get alot of lead splatter. Too little and the fouling could leave your cylinder locked up against the barrel's forcing cone/mouth.

The beauty of the Dan Wesson system is that you only needed to buy one frame and you could still have various barrel lengths. Barrels and shrouds could be purchased in various sizes. It was easy to change one's barrel length without having to go to the gunsmith. The kit.....also had an included shim (to set the barrel cylinder gap) and the special wrench.

I can't remember seeing a Dan Wesson without an interchangeable barrel (maybe, it was towards the end). Anyway, on the other hand......why would I want one......if I didn't have another barrel/shroud to play with? Unless it was super cheap. I sold mine because I had plenty of S&W revolvers and I did not see myself buying another barrel(s) just to "play" with the system. Every time you'd change a barrel....I'd imagine.....that POI would shift some. Thus, requiring another trip to the range with any barrel change.

*In revolvers w/ typical rimmed cartridges......where the cartridge's rim rests on the cylinder determines the headspace. It's seldom a worry. But...besides the barrel cylinder gap....there is that gap between the shell's back end and the frame, to worry about. Yes, you need some gap. Too much or too little, is not good.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
When these hit the market they all but took over the production silhouette circuit.
The barrel, being under tension from both ends makes them very accurate.

I bought one of the first SS vent heavies to be shipped to Oregon.

As stated, look for the "spanner nut" at the muzzle.
I've never heard of a fixed barrel DW wheel gun.
Could have happened, I suppose.

That is a model 15, I have two of them. Also multiple barrels.

There is a guy who specializes in smithing these guns, somewhere around Estacada named Grant Cunningham. I had an old retiring smith at the factory tighten my first gun up, then I asked Grant to do the same with the second one. He worked very hard at it but finally came to the conclusion the holes weren't drilled in the right spots on that gun, charged me nothing after all that work. Apparently some poorly made guns got out of the factory toward the end (this was before CZ took over). I can't say enough about Grant!

I also have a 744, in .44 Mag of course. These guns are indeed very accurate. The 744 with the 8" barrel is a beast, so much weight it's like shooting a .22. Well almost.

The guns can be tightened up pretty well (my first 15 is the tightest revolver I have) and I like that you can set the cylinder gap to whatever you want, and pick what barrel length you want, and their single action triggers can be made pretty good IIRC, but the double action triggers will never rival a S&W gun.

I have no idea about value; follow gunbroker auctions I guess. I thought I read somewhere that CZ/Dan Wesson are thinking of producing more revolvers, so you should be able to find new barrels from them.

I sold one on this forum for a friend for $600 in April. Other than that listen to these guys because I know next to nothing about them other than they are supposed to be great shooters.

yep model 15-2 I think. The made in Monson Mass are the best from what i hear. the end of the barrel should look like this... IMG_1853.JPG
yes it's removable. that's an 8 " you can get barrel/shroud lengths of 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and even 15 inches! I haven't seen that grip before either.very nice!it should come with these two tools..
IMG_1855.JPG
if you don't have the bottom one you can use a .006 feeler gauge to gap the barrel
Here's mine...
IMG_1854.JPG
I've shot many pistols, but none have I been more accurate with than this bad boy... It is an heirloom that will never leave the family, and a joy to shoot.
As far as value The Dan Wesson Forum | The Legend Lives On… hit them up. there are a ton of DW experts there to ask, and you can see what they are selling for in their classifieds.

Great gun... my advice BUY IT!

That 15-2 is a beaut. Those stocks are unusual enough to hold some higher value. There were so many options available when buying a 15-2 new, back in the '70's and '80's that made many Dan Wesson's unique.

I have a pistol pac in non-vented, non heavy, like this one, and it is a rock-solid revolver. Personally I like the non vented/non heavy though, just for the looks. I don't shoot enough in a short span to need the venting. Also, Dan Wesson prices are still reasonable for a revolver that many consider superior to the S&W. (did I really just say that???!!)

If you like revolvers and plan to keep it for a long time, I can't see how you could go wrong, especially since they just plain old don't make 'em like they used to.

Also, Dan Wesson prices are still reasonable for a revolver that many consider superior to the S&W. (did I really just say that???!!)
I'd say they are by no means infirior. if anything they are over built. The only thing that some colt/smith/ruger guys can't get over is the release being forward of the cylinder, but it actually makes more sense imo..you can do faster reloads when you get used to it. And you can still get them at sometimes half the price of an equally equipped S&W.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top