Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

dan wesson 1911

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by 22many, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

So I just sold 2 of my 1911's in hopes of getting a higher quality 1911. I have been looking at the dan wesson 1911 and like what I see. Has anybody had any issues with these guns? I searched and didnt come up with any problems on them so thats a good thing. I know that alot of people prefer the colts and springfields but everybody I know has those so Im wanting to be a little different.

wichaka, I know your gonna post on this thread and as always, your experience is greatly appreciated. :)

2. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have owned two a RZ10 10mm and a RZ45 both where fantastic weapons and I regret selling them both. It is hard to find a better built 1911 for the money.

IMO of course

3. swampertwo

swampertwo Just moved to Olympic peninsula!! Active Member

Look to Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms--Bob was the original Pres of Dan Wesson and responsible for their 1911 line. He and CZ parted ways after CZ bought DW.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Fusion has some really beautiful work.

4. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I've had 3, a RZ-10, RZ-45, and CBOB, all have functioned flawlessly out of the box. One of the few brands that have never had more than one or two failures during break in. I just wish that I still have the RZ-10 :(

5. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

My only issue with my RZ45 is having it, and not shooting it yet. Someday soon. It sure looks good though.

6. KENOC

KENOC Portland area Member

Dan Wessons and Fusions are my favorite 1911's. Beautiful and well-built. For the Dan Wesson, get the new CCO if you can find one. Or have Bob at Fusion custom build you something. Or do both. :D

7. AndyH

I can't believe you have not shot that yet.... you should and soon:thumbup:

Andy

8. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

My slow season has just started, I will shoot alot, and soon.

9. AndyH

Good to hear

10. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I second what swampertwo, and Kenoc said. The new Dan Wesson, is owned by CZ. I like CZ, so not saying anything bad about them. Previous to CZ takeover, Dan Wesson 1911 were top notch, hand assembled, very nice 1911s. I've bought from Fusion, Bob Serva, and all his guns are custom, high quality 1911s. Check out his website, also check out his Gunbroker.com auctions, his handle is ( rserva ). Also don't get stuck on Dan Wesson 1911. They are nice. Usually in the $900 to $1100 range. For the same amount, you could get an early, Clakamas Or Kimber. A custom Colt. A Fusion..... A Springer, ect, ect. Lots of mfgs will use parts from the same source. I've only heard good things about Dan Wesson 1911's.

11. isher

isher Clallam County Member

If you want some out of box thinking

Check out the CZ 97B.

Big auto, 10 round mag plus

One in the pipe,

.45 ACP

and I couldn't be happier.

isher

12. 22many

Ive looked at quite a few of them and read up on alot of the 1911's. The kimbers, they are very nice but, Im not really too impressed with. The fusions, well, now that is a nice 1911! The colts are good quality (i know, thats why alot of people own them) but im just wanting too be different.

My current 1911's were a llama and a thompson. The llama was a good firearm that I never had a problem with even though they are a "bottom of the barrel gun". I loved that gun. The thompson, well, after fixing it Im glad I dont have it anymore.

Ive looked at the RIA 1911's. They look like a good gun but from what I read they use poor metal. Thats why Im looking at a dan wessons.

13. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

STI's are nearly in the same price range.

14. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a Dan Wesson CBOB I acquired lightly used. It has a tight chamber and won't lock up on lead bullet handloads, but works flawlessly with everything else I've fed it, steel case and brass. The fit and finish is very good and on par with my older Colts. It's accurate, too. I'm very pleased with it. I'd recommend one.

15. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Try better sized bullets, all of mine chambered lead fine.

16. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I have a Pointman 7.

I love it.

17. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The ones I had were .452. I was going to try to find some .451s and give it another go. The .452s work fine in a couple of other guns, but not this one!

18. chadmaster

chadmaster Vancouver, WA Member

I have a RZ45 Heritage and it is my favorite handgun. You won't be disappointed if you get one.

19. 22many

coctailer, thats the one Im really looking at getting. How do you like it compared to the other 1911's?

20. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I have two DW CBOB's. Neither is for sale. Need I say more? ;)