JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This gun is not mine. It wandered into my house as a result of a younger man inheriting his Dad's guns. He did not know what it was

It is one of the rarest modern American production rimfire rifles ever produced. Economical and Revolutionary at inception.

1674375854107.jpeg

This is a Remington Model 592M. Caliber: 5mm Remington Magnum. The tube feed version was produced in great minority toward the clip-fed version. The gun lasted only 5 years in production, with Remington listing the ammo into the 80's, then dropping it. Aguila ammo began production in 2008, and Taurus simultaneously offered the 590 revolver.

.17HMR fans, come crying from the ballistic tables. Remington had it right in 1969.

Last Edited:
I'm glad you like yours. I would say buy all the ammo you can get now, it may be all you ever get. I bought the Box fed 5mm in the late 70's. Just in time for Remington to discontinue the ammo. Then it was just another safe queen! I stripped the scope off of it and it was just forgotten till Aguila made a batch of ammo. Then the safe queen was sold to the first sucker that asked about it.
It was a great varmint rifle, and more capable than the 22 mag ever thought it could be. But sooner or later the ammo will dry up again. DR

This gun is not mine. It wandered into my house as a result of a younger man inheriting his Dad's guns. He did not know what it was

It is one of the rarest modern American production rimfire rifles ever produced. Economical and Revolutionary at inception.

View attachment 1350411

This is a Remington Model 592M. Caliber: 5mm Remington Magnum. The tube feed version was produced in great minority toward the clip-fed version. The gun lasted only 5 years in production, with Remington listing the ammo into the 80's, then dropping it. Aguila ammo began production in 2008, and Taurus simultaneously offered the 590 revolver.

.17HMR fans, come crying from the ballistic tables. Remington had it right in 1969.
I think that this is a pretty rifle! Thank you for sharing your friend's rifle.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know JACK squat about some of those firearm calibers that some people own being that I never owned or wanted to buy them.

I like 22lr and 22wmr when it comes to RF cartridges. I have shot some older 22short and 22 long ammunition that my MT husband previously owned and we USED IT - shot it all up.

I do have a friend in IDAHO that loves the .17HMR ammunition.

Cate

It so happened that in my "island of misfit toys", the mint condition Bushnell was located, and since it shares precise vintage with the gun, it was only right that it be installed. It even still has the gold/black sticky ("B" for Bushnell) label on top, and the whole outfit now looks as it might have when someone walked into the gun shop in 1969 seeking the latest and greatest thing in rimfires.

These are incredible little scopes with glass and image far beyond expectations. When someone in the '70's or '80's suddenly decided "all .22's should have "real" scopes" (i.e.: 1" tubes), these optics fell by the wayside, despite their perfect fit and function. They maintain the slim, trim appearance and handling qualities of the rimfire rifles, sacrificing nothing in performance. Nothing is more ungainly than a light and graceful gun saddled with an optical ball and chain of awkward and out of place proportions.

Ammunition is in transit, and the young owner of this gun was admonished (much as @dangerranger60 recommended) to purchase an estimated lifetime supply.

P.S.: He's looking for a Taurus 590 in case you've got one kicking around.

Last Edited:
P.S.: He's looking for a Taurus 590 in case you've got one kicking around.
These were never put into production! As soon as I saw a prototype, I ran down to my dealer and begged him to take my money. He said I didn't need to, as I had first dibs. I gave him a healthy down and had to collect it over a year later. If anybody has a lead on the prototype... PLEASE, let me know!

These were never put into production! As soon as I saw a prototype, I ran down to my dealer and begged him to take my money. He said I didn't need to, as I had first dibs. I gave him a healthy down and had to collect it over a year later. If anybody has a lead on the prototype... PLEASE, let me know!
You're riight! I found out about none produced shortly after I posted here. That reduces handgun "options" to a Contender barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top