JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't need a vise block. I built mine free hand and it didn't get one scratch or tool mark. As far as an AR tool/barrel wrench you can get those at pretty much any gun store.

You talking the clamshell type?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Why yes, I am a super stud. Just ask me (not my wife) LOL! For my first build I completed the lower from stripped forward. But the upper was such a good price I bought it complete. So my build was easy off the vise. Thank you for the recommendation as I plan on a few more builds shortly!

Just FYI, I have the complete upper, and stripped lower. Supposedly my LPK is due on tomorrow's UPS truck. I'd love to get the whole thing built and take it up in the hills this week to break it in.

You could always run over to Curt's, they would assemble it for you cheap, and fast.
I did the first few, with a pair of pliers and a hammer. It is nice to have a set of punch's and a few other little do dads, but you can google videos of people putting them together with a minimal of tools.
Only thing you really need the tool for is the castle nut, but you should be able to get it tight enough for a weekend out, with a hammer and a flat blade screw driver. Just tap it slowly.

This guy is funny... kind of an idiot, but I still like him, for some reason LOL

One trick I like, is when it comes to roll pins. I always add a little oil, and it seems to make it easier.
And tape off the side of the receiver before the bolt catch roll pin. That idiot mark will last a long time LOL.

Or a couple of 16 penny nails LOL, and a hammer :)

If you are just NEW to building one, it can appear to be a daunting task. Funny to look back at it now, and realize how simple it all really is. The AR platform is an extremely easy one to learn.

That's why they are the Barbie for men, and some woman :)

What did you end up getting for LPK and FCG?

I went with a JSE 20" Chrome Moly Nitride treated HBAR A3 flat top.

FCG is a Black Rain Ordnance 3.5lb drop in. It's the one with the logo milled off for ½ the cost.

LPK is a Palmetto Magpul CTR lower build kit.

Thanks a million for all the great advice on this thread BTW. Copy what titson said about the trigger guard roll pin. Found a very good how-to video on youtube for building the AR that showed exactly what happens when you don't support those tabs!

Rick- PM sent!

Ironbar and I have conversed, will meet today.
He may or may not know some of these nuances, help this thread out...

Barrel to upper receiver
Install ejection port cover BEFORE the barrel
NEVER put upper receiver in a vice. Or twist it. Or torque it. Aluminum soft
Coat barrel nut and receiver threads with anti-seize. Aluminum galls
Roll pins are tapered, go in only one way, orange Brownells puck, tap lightly.

Freaking Amazon is shipping my dang vise block from CHINA, and I don't have the AR tool either!
Is there someone on this BB who can loan me these things for a day or so?

I am too far south to make it worth your while to borrow.
But I would like to thank you for supporting the communist block of China :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads