Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

damaged takedown pin hole AR 15

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Russdog, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Russdog

Russdog eastern WA New Member

Well I went and screwed up the anodizing in one of the rear takedown pin holes on a lower receiver (SAA) the other day. Fit was really tight with the upper, and I started to pound the pin through with a hammer, but it was just too tight, so I tapped it back out, and upon doing so realized that I had removed some anodizing from the top portion of the hole. Not all the way through through the hole, but about half way just on the top side.

I'm not worried about it from a cosmetic standpoint as it's invisible on an assembled rifle. My main question is will this be a durabilty issue, and if so is there anything I can do to repair it?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

no worries

3. Russdog

Thanks! this was an interesting thing because my other upper snaps into this lower no problem, and this upper snaps into my other lower no problem, but the tolerances of these two components just don't quite seem compatible. I think I'll get another upper and save this one for something else. I just wanted to make sure my takedown pin hole wasn't going to open up on me or anything.

4. Russdog

Yeah that's kind of what I figured.

Thanks I'm having fun with it!

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Birchwood Casey makes a touch up pen for anodizes aluminum in flat black. Works great. It's called Super Black.

6. Russdog

nice, sounds like what I need

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Just wait until you scrape up a leading edge on that puppy! ;)