JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup, that just about sums that up. Guess folks will have to find another reason to riot, since it wasn't deputies Luke and Bo Hazzard driving away in the General Lee...;)

the brother making his comments.

His right to say what he needed. I believe the contact at the end was justified and warranted for closure at that moment.

Update:

Guyger's legal team files an appeal as expected. Amber Guyger, former Dallas cop, files appeal to get murder conviction overturned

Their legal theory is that no reasonable jury would have found her guilty of murder, as opposed to negligent homicide. I agree it should have been negligent homicide if anything, but will that legal theory wash with the appeals court? Sounds silly to me. What do ya'll think???

This is kind of one of those "well what else is she supposed to do" kind of things. She made a HUGE FUBAR kind of screw up and it cost an innocent life. She was a Cop so she should be held to a higher standard than the average person who carries a gun. At a 10 year sentence it seems to me that she got off kind of on the light side but, again her and her legal people have to try to do all they can. She has literally ruined her life. When she gets out this will of course follow her for decades. Not that she does not deserve that.

She was a Cop so she should be held to a higher standard than the average person who carries a gun.

So we change the legal definitions to suit the emotions of the case? I always thought murder was a malicious intent to kill. She acted in what she believed was self defense, ie w/o malice. Perhaps with recklessness, but I'm not buying that a higher standard ups the charge to murder. FUBAR does not equal murder in my book.

As with George Floyd, how does a prosecutor see what was in a cops mind and determine that what's his name intended to kill the man?

Seems we are trying to read minds and see what we want to see.

But what do you think of the defense theory that a "reasonable jury" would not have found for murder. Seems you would disagree with the defense. But I think the appeals judge will get a good laugh out of it.

Last Edited:
So we change the legal definitions to suit the emotions of the case? I always thought murder was a malicious intent to kill. She acted in what she believed was self defense, ie w/o malice. Perhaps with recklessness, but I'm not buying that a higher standard ups the charge to murder. FUBAR does not equal murder in my book.

As with George Floyd, how does a prosecutor see what was in a cops mind and determine that what's his name intended to kill the man?

Seems we are trying to read minds and see what we want to see.

But what do you think of the defense theory that a "reasonable jury" would not have found for murder. Seems you would disagree with them. But I think the appeals judge will get a good laugh out of it.

Don't know, not a lawyer by any stretch of course. Just my opinion that being a Cop I expect more out of her than some average citizen. That she walked into the wrong house and shot and killed the resident to me she got off easy with only 10 years, which I assume means she would do about half that time although I know nothing of how the laws work in that state. I know if this was some family member of mine I don't think I would have been able to be nearly as forgiving of her as this guys family was.

But in my world, we hold people accountable for their actions,
Ok, lets look at it this way, her actions were pretty far out. She was a cop with training the average citizen does not have. She is trained for situational awareness, yet somehow walks into the wrong apartment. Man in apartment eating a bowl of whatever, no firearms present yet, she had a fear for her life? Shoots and kills him! To many things didn't make sense to me. I don't have a disappointment in or for her, just feel she should have gotten a heavier sentence.

Ok, lets look at it this way, her actions were pretty far out. She was a cop with training the average citizen does not have. She is trained for situational awareness, yet somehow walks into the wrong apartment. Man in apartment eating a bowl of whatever, no firearms present yet, she had a fear for her life? Shoots and kills him! To many things didn't make sense to me. I don't have a disappointment in or for her, just feel she should have gotten a heavier sentence.
She wasn't on duty or acting in her capacity as an officer. If she was I would agree. When not acting as an officer we are supposed to be equal under the law no-one being held to either a higher or lower standard... at least thats the ideal...

If she is not believable, then that is a diff issue. But it would seem that something beyond the prosecutor's belief that it was murder would be necessary. Something called proof.

BTW, 44% of residents said they had accidentally entered the wrong apartment. A full 23% said they had tried to use their key to enter the wrong apartment. She was on the phone. Not on duty. Cops are not superhumans and IMO we shouldn't expect them to be. Most accidents require a chain of errors, this one is no different. It was a tragedy, no doubt. All I'm saying is that it wasn't murder.

Last Edited:
@powersbj , @bbbass , I respect both of your point of views and find what you say not only interesting but, educating. I'm not arguing anything here nor, am I judging her. That has already been done. I most especially appreciate the percentages presented and I also, don't believe police officers to be superhuman. Would be interesting to sit around a fire, with some coffee and hear things on a personal basis instead of an internet basis!:s0112::s0155:

@powersbj , @bbbass , I respect both of your point of views and find what you say not only interesting but, educating. I'm not arguing anything here nor, am I judging her. That has already been done. I most especially appreciate the percentages presented and I also, don't believe police officers to be superhuman. Would be interesting to sit around a fire, with some coffee and hear things on a personal basis instead of an internet basis!:s0112::s0155:
This stuff isn't personal to me I enjoy discussions and beer! I've been known to have some good ideas and some really stupid ones. I've have even been known to listen and respect differing opinions and even change my mind, I really wish the tone of things in my head could make it through the interwebs!

BTW, 44% of residents said they had accidentally entered the wrong apartment. A full 23% said they had tried to use their key to enter the wrong apartment. She was on the phone. Not on duty. Cops are not superhumans and IMO we shouldn't expect them to be. Most accidents require a chain of errors, this one is no different. It was a tragedy, no doubt. All I'm saying is that it wasn't murder.
And I believe this information was not presented by her defense during the trial. If this is so, I think it could sway a reasonable person (juror) from a murder to accident (still a crime). Haven't read though all the testimony but heard this from a usually good source. This is part of the appeal. Criminally negligent homicide is punishable by up to two years.

Just as a side note, we are seeing "murder" charges filed for events that 20 years ago would NEVER (for anyone one, officers or not) been considered by a DA's office.

Nice conversation all!

Campfire covfefe and a fireside chat is a wonderful idea! If we get us all together, do we have to wear masks??? Be kinda tough to guzzle the coffee that way. But I'm game as long as I can bring some spirits to put in da coffee.

Beer is good too.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR