JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

Finally got my wife to let me do more prepping. A lady she works with sells "Daily Bread" products.

Anyone have any knowledge of this supplier...how would you rate taste, quality, etc...

Don't want to waste money buying this stuff if it's a bad product.

Thanks for your help,

Almost a useless post here because I have never tired them; But... I have always used Honeyville Farms for mine and have taste tested many of the items purchased, all of which are high quality and good tasting...

In the same ball park for conversation but off target for the opinion your looking for?

Never Heard of em either, do your research though, Honeyville has a 10% off sale every couple of month there where I get mine, as stated above tast tested a few and said ok by me, and bought a couple more dozen cases.

Maybe some else has, check your prices, makes sure the friend isn't just trying to make a commission off the wife, had plenty of so called friends try that with me.

I have bought some stuff from them a couple of years back. They are good and the food taste great. If they have reps in the area they do come over and let you try a few things. I would say they are better than mountain house. They also have a lot of meal flavors. They have done a lot of research and are a good company. I am surprised that not more people know about them.

I have never heard of daily bread, or honeyville. I have some friends that are mormon. They allow the general public to use their dry good canery, and the prices are extremely good. The have one in almost every area, becuase they suggest to all their members to keep a certain supply. I would suggest looking them up and making an appointment. I have also purchased from auguson farms, their food is really good, the prices are good, and they sell at walmart and sam's club, or online. Another company that is really good is Emergency Essentials. They have a web site, and sell mult brands of food, like provident, mountain house, augusan, that are good quality at a good price and shipping is cheap. Most of these companies are located in Utah.

HistoryDaily Bread itself started life in the Northampton parish of St. Peter's, Weston Favell. A group of nine friends - four married couples and a bachelor - formed the idea of taking their Christian beliefs and values into a simple business environment. Since Daily Bread was founded on the basis of Christian beliefs, the name chosen comes from a line in the Lord's Prayer. Apart from Roger Sawtell, another founder member was Michael Jones, who owned a family firm of jewellers in Northampton. He had previously bevome involved in the Co-operative model of doing business, and to that end he converted his enterprise into a workers' co-operative. On examination, the founders saw a definite overlap between the Christian ethics they were attempting to operate under, and the policies under-pinning the burgeoning co-operative movement.

Daily Bread Co-operative (DBC) was registered as a limited company in March 1976, the first business of its kind to adopt a new set of Model Rules for Common Ownership. However, it was a further four years before trading started, on October the 1st 1980, in what was once the laundry of St. Andrew's Hospital, reputedly the largest privately owned psychiatric hospital in the country.

The original members of the co-operative were faced with many challenges, including the dilemmas of how to generate wealth without compromising the beliefs to which they adhered, how to provide work for those who might not be able to find it elsewhere (which was a stated secondary goal of the company), and how to balance individual freedom and creativity with the collective responsibility to care for the business, each other and the wider world community.

[edit] Social aimsThe Co-operative has a wide range of social aims on top of the basic task of providing healthy food to the local and wider community at a fair price. The social aims can be derived from the Preamble (see below), and in practical terms include:

-Providing employment to mentally handicapped or disabled people and those rehabilitating into society, who would often find it difficult to obtain and maintain occupation.
-A commitment to running the business in an ecologically friendly manner.
-Donating a proportion of all income (as distinct from profit) to the local and global communities, locally through their Community Fund and globally through their charitable arm, Strive (Overseas) ltd.
The current workforce stands at around 25, including members and non-members, full- and part-time, and the annual turnover stands at around £1.3 million. As such, the company has clearly demonstrated that it is possible to run a successful business on Christian principles and with tangible social aims, while still being viable and competitive in the "real world".

Daily Bread as a Workers' Co-operative, in common with other Co-operatives, runs the business on the democratic principle of 'one person, one vote', meaning that all the members have an equal say in how the business should be run, as contrasted to the standard business model where a company is owned by individuals or by a group of shareholders. Daily Bread is also different in many other ways, such as a wage structure where each worker is paid equally regardless of length of tenure or seeming superiority, with only a slight increase for members over non-members in recognition of extra duties and responsibilities, and possible extra allowances for workers with dependents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Bread_Co-operative
THIS THEM?

I haven't purchased from them, seems to me that they only allow you to purchase in bulk, or you have to purchase 6 or more #10 cans of an item at a time, where as Thrive (a brand I purchase from regularly) allows you to purchas a variety of sizes (#10 cans alone, packs of #10 cans, pantry cans and pouches). I like to try things out before I buy in bulk (things other than rice and grains) and the smaller sizes are also great for camping and hiking. There are a few companies that will give you free samples of some of their "gormet" entrees though.

Smaller sizes may be a bit more expensive, but they also help significant others to ease into food storage. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top