JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm pretty sure their illegal in most states, if not all. But still it doesn't make sense. They say because daggers are only made for "killing people" or stabbing someone. Well I don't carry a gun to open a soda? So how is it different?

I think about the only knife still legal in washington is a mini Swiss Army knife. That state is a joke and I stay out of it as much as I can. A Ka-Bar is a "fighting knife", how are they legal? Dumb law makers up there....

This is the only mention I could find of daggers at all in the RCWs. I checked my city laws and found nothing mentioning daggers. I even tried to find a federal law which mentions daggers (there are none.) The RCW refers to "furtively carrying with the intent to conceal" a dagger. My understanding is that there is a grey area here concerning the legality of carrying a dagger, and the potentially broad definition of "furtiveness" as well as "the intent to conceal." My main concern however, is ownership. The clerk I mentioned before assured me that even owning a double edged knife is illegal, whether it is on your person, in your car, or sitting in your safe at home.

Thanks to all who have responded. :)

simple possesion,say in your home i believe is legal.in your vehicle or on person changes things.at that point it becomes a class b misdemenor.up to one year in jail and 10,000 dollar fine if memory serves correct.(in oregon)

There are many medieval reenactment shows that sell daggers, swords, throwing knives, etc in Washington State. I would think there would be SWAT raids going on at everyone of these, yet I have not heard or seen one yet.

The above occurred to me as well. The REI near where I live sells a double edged Gerber and they have for a long time. I think I'm good to go on that SOG as long as I keep it at home. :s0155:

Thanks again for your insights everyone who responded.

how many knives being sold everywhere are actually illegal under WA law!

Any knife that opens with a spring, by wrist flick or gravity is illegal!

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I have two sog daggerts, that I bought at the convenience store near my house.
Pretty sure just owning them in wa is not illegal.

Too any people miss the point. Its not illegal to OWN them, but if you carry a double edged knife and the police find out, you will be in a bit of trouble. Its the same with automatic knives and balisongs. You can own all you want. Its illegal to carry.

Just a note: A gun forum would be the last place I would look to find information about a knife I carry that might land me in jail.
Way too much hearsay BS.

Too any people miss the point. Its not illegal to OWN them, but if you carry a double edged knife and the police find out, you will be in a bit of trouble. Its the same with automatic knives and balisongs. You can own all you want. Its illegal to carry.

Just a note: A gun forum would be the last place I would look to find information about a knife I carry that might land me in jail.
Way too much hearsay BS.

Title of the thread. First post of thread.
No point missed.

Here is the quote from the WA law:
RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT